Opinions on going from 15" ST tires to 16" LT

MP_CS

So I'm in the market for new tires to replace my blowmax's. I'm debating wether or not to just replace them with the same spec'd maxxis or im leaning more towards upgrading to 16"rims with Lt225/75r16 bridgestone duravis tires. They have a slightly higher load rating yet basically the same size. Whats the tire experts thoughts. My thinking on going to 16" rims is that i want to swap out the current wheels to something with black accents anyways so I'm thinking if its best to go with LT tires I'll do it, if no benefit I'll just keep the stock 15" wheels. Thanks for any replies.

Lynn1130

I am sure you will get more informed advice but two things to look at. Load rating. The Discount Tire guys pointed out the lower rating with the LT that I had on compared to the ST that had been on prior. Additionally you need to look at clearance both between tires if you are dual axle and from the bottom of the trailer.

'Lil Guy'

I'm pretty sure you can move up to 16" wheels. I did it on my Elkridge E289. I needed to raise my rig for a more level tow. Also, better tire selection in that size.

MP_CS

Re: Opinions on going from 15" ST tires to 16" LT

I'm pretty sure you can move up to 16" wheels. I did it on my Elkridge E289. I needed to raise my rig for a more level tow. Also, better tire selection in that size.

What did you end up going with then? You did exactly what i wsnt to then, lifting the trailer a tad.

- - - Updated - - -

I am sure you will get more informed advice but two things to look at. Load rating. The Discount Tire guys pointed out the lower rating with the LT that I had on compared to the ST that had been on prior. Additionally you need to look at clearance both between tires if you are dual axle and from the bottom of the trailer.

The Lt tires are rated for 2680lbs which is higher than the St maxxis which are rated for 2540lbs. The Lt's are marginally taller so the clearences wont be an issue as ive got room to go bigger. I'm just wondering if there's any other benefits to jumping up to an Lt to help justify the new rims.

rhodies1

Michelin make an RV tire ,it is called RBS,it comes in a 235/85/16 with and E rating and 10 ply.Check Michelins web site for all the specs,I believe it has a better load rating than the Bridgestone you are considering in the LT .

MP_CS

Michelin make an RV tire ,it is called RBS,it comes in a 235/85/16 with and E rating and 10 ply.Check Michelins web site for all the specs,I believe it has a better load rating than the Bridgestone you are considering in the LT .

The bridgestone or firestones I'm looking at have great reviews and are more than adequate for the job. Michelins are definitely a good tire but for the huge price difference I probably wont go with them, thanks for the suggestions anyway👍.

'Lil Guy'

Our E289 was about 10K lbs. and came with 15" D rated tires. Had a serious nose high attitude putting the weight mostly on the rear tires. I started with the 2" lift by installing the correct trac II which I was already prepped for on our rig. Then went with 235/80/R16E good year marathon tires at $109.00 ea. and new wheels. Need the metal valve stems to handle the extra air pressure. With the E rated tires rated at 3420#, I had some serious overkill there which is why I opted for the Marathons and had zero issues with them. If I recall, the wheels and tires were under $1K including the spare. I took the rims and tires to Discount tire and had them mounted and balanced. Then, installed myself in the drive. The original tires dia. was 28.3 and the new ones were 30.8. This gave me about 3 1/4" of lift. Still not tall enough for a perfectly level tow behind my Ram 2500 4X4 but close. I sold the new original tires and wheels and spare for $500.00.
Good luck with your endeavor.

MP_CS

Our E289 was about 10K lbs. and came with 15" D rated tires. Had a serious nose high attitude putting the weight mostly on the rear tires. I started with the 2" lift by installing the correct trac II which I was already prepped for on our rig. Then went with 235/80/R16E good year marathon tires at $109.00 ea. and new wheels. Need the metal valve stems to handle the extra air pressure. With the E rated tires rated at 3420#, I had some serious overkill there which is why I opted for the Marathons and had zero issues with them. If I recall, the wheels and tires were under $1K including the spare. I took the rims and tires to Discount tire and had them mounted and balanced. Then, installed myself in the drive. The original tires dia. was 28.3 and the new ones were 30.8. This gave me about 3 1/4" of lift. Still not tall enough for a perfectly level tow behind my Ram 2500 4X4 but close. I sold the new original tires and wheels and spare for $500.00.
Good luck with your endeavor.

Thanks for the info😀

MP_CS

Ended up staying with the same size tire in the new goodyear endurance. Had them installed on new wheels while i was at it. Got to good a deal to pass on for them. Figured what the hay.
IMG_0558.jpg