Ordering a new 4100 this week!

ketah777

Hello all, I am very excited that we are ordering a new 4100 this Friday. I am thankful to everyone on this forum, it's been very helpful to read all the posts here. Before we order, I would like some input on the options we're ordering and whether or not I'm missing anything. These are the options we are planning to order:

• Auxiliary Fuel Cell
  • 6 point level up system
  • Goodyear G-Rated Tires
  • 4 door refer
  • 32" bedroom tv
  • 32" garage tv
  • 3rd AC in garage
  • Dual Pane Windows
  • Canadian Arctic Package
  • Ramp door patio w/awning
  • 3 season removable garage wall
  • HD Edition
  • 7000 lb axles

What is the toy lock? We will have a golf cart, do we need the toy lock?

Please let me know if I'm missing anything, thanks for all your help!

scottyb

Congratulations. You will enjoy you 4100 immensely when you get it. Looks like your getting it loaded up. Think about upgrading the tires too. Also take into consideration that with the dual fuel cells, the generator runs off of the smaller 18 gal tank. You can always use the larger tank to keep the generator going, unless you are hauling race fuel in it. Personally, I would rather have the generator connected to the larger tank. I have used my generator for 72-96 hours straight on a couple occasions.

ssjt2000

Yes , the only way to empty the Aux cell is to run the Gen till it runs out....6 point leveling, 4 door fridge ( not with inverter) , are now standard.
Tearing down (and up) the patio is a pain in the butt if you run your stuff in and out a lot....Look at the 4200

Toy lock is a locking cable on the outside of the 5th wheel to lockup anything from theft. the 4200 has a 12 foot garage but the full bath takes up 3 feet, so a side x side would not fit. like a Polaris 800S

danemayer

I would skip the toy lock. After about 18 months of occasional use, it would no longer retract reliably. Eventually it stopped retracting altogether and I had to remove it from the frame because the cable was hanging out. And it was a pain to remove. I now use 12' cable locks that are very inexpensive.

Dryer

I would eliminate the garage tv. They want a lot of money for a tv and bracket. We bought a samsung tv from target for $200 and you can buy a mount from mono price for a lot less. I did the residential fridge dual pain windows. We did not get the 3 seasons wall for the back patio since we got a 4200. Also did a heat pump for the main ac so we don't have to buy propane for heat. Just what we did and are very happy with our choices. We did do the 3rd ac in the garage. We did not do the artic package due to the fact we do not plan to camp in cold climates and that is something that can be added later if needed. We also opted out of the hd package and went with full body paint. When you do full body paint you don't need the hd package.

oscar

That's a nice list, and any of those items are nice to have. Be aware that all these items come out of your CCC. (Cargo carrying capacity), and some of them are heavy. If you plan on carrying any serious weight in the garage you'd be over GVWR. Based on the list and what i know you'd be down to 1200 pounds or so, not including any liquids.

We use the garage big screen, actually junior does with his games. I'd love to have the 6 point levelers, but they are heavy. I make do with boards and blocks, which travel in the truck bed. The 4 door fridge is a must if you don't want to hit a grocery store for a while. The double windows are very, very nice. And heavy. I don't have them. The patio is awesome, we use it. We also have the electric beds in the garage, but they too are heavy.

Cjackg

Hello all, I am very excited that we are ordering a new 4100 this Friday. I am thankful to everyone on this forum, it's been very helpful to read all the posts here. Before we order, I would like some input on the options we're ordering and whether or not I'm missing anything. These are the options we are planning to order:

• Auxiliary Fuel Cell
  • 6 point level up system
  • Goodyear G-Rated Tires
  • 4 door refer
  • 32" bedroom tv
  • 32" garage tv
  • 3rd AC in garage
  • Dual Pane Windows
  • Canadian Arctic Package
  • Ramp door patio w/awning
  • 3 season removable garage wall
  • HD Edition
  • 7000 lb axles

What is the toy lock? We will have a golf cart, do we need the toy lock?

Please let me know if I'm missing anything, thanks for all your help!
We considered these same options when we ordered our Cyclone. The weight issues mentioned above deserve careful consideration. We left off several options for that reason, but I would never give up the 6-point leveling system. You can save a lot of $$ by leaving off some TVs and buying them locally instead. I took delivery with the TowMax tires and bought 17.5" "J-rated" tires and wheels for less than HL wanted for the G-rated tire upgrade.
The 3-season Wall and Awning Toppers are two options I would reconsider if doing it again...

scottyb

Good point on the TV's. If there was an option to eliminate all of them but have them pre-wired, I would do it. You can get a much higher quality and up to date TV for less money. Also, if there is an option to get some HDMI and digital audio cables installed from the surround sound to the TV, it will save you a lot of trouble. Maybe they are doing that already but they were not in 2013. I only have RCA cables going from the SS to the TV with DVD only, no Blue Ray.

ketah777

Thanks for all this helpful input. I see what you mean about the tv's, they are over-priced. And I had originally included the Aux Fuel Cell because of another post where I read they were glad to have that when their tow vehicle was about out of gas and were able to gas up from that. Wondering if we really need that? Do you all recommend getting it or leaving it off? And thanks for the feedback on the toy lock, will definitely not need that.

Now, my biggest concern is the carrying capacity. I had no idea these options were going to weigh so much. One dealer I talked with recently (not the one we are ordering from) told me that when we get the 7000 lb. axles, it increases our carrying capacity to 5000 lbs. But, now reading all your feedback it sounds like we will hardly have any carrying capacity at all after adding a golf cart and bicycles in the garage. This would be a huge problem because we are a family of 4 that will be living in it full time. We homeschool and will need to be able to have some books and school supplies, etc. What do we need to eliminate to have more carrying capacity?

Thanks so much for the help! I'm glad to be getting these questions answered before we order. :)

danemayer

One dealer I talked with recently (not the one we are ordering from) told me that when we get the 7000 lb. axles, it increases our carrying capacity to 5000 lbs.
GVWR and carrying capacity are limited by more than a single component in the trailer. Changing the axles may not give you any increase, unless the axles happened to be the weakest link. And even then, you'd only get an increase up to the capacity of the next weakest link, whatever that might be.

blong

First off Congrats on your decision to pick the 4100, and I know you will love yours as much as we do ours. That being said I wanted to give you a real number to consider. We picked up our 2015 4100 HD unit Aug 8 so it should be very close to the weight yours will come in at. Sticker on the door which is supposed to be dry build weight says just over 16,200 Lbs. Vin Tag says Cargo capacity is 730lbs with full water (hot and cold) and empty Waste tanks. And full water weight is 930lbs (830 cold and 100 hot) according to the tag, so half fill the cold and you save 415 lbs. and your capacity is still only 1145 lbs. and we have very similar options to what your considering.
6 point level up system
Goodyear G-Rated Tires
4 door refer
32" bedroom tv
32" garage tv
3rd AC in garage
Dual Pane Windows
Canadian Arctic Package
Ramp door patio w/awning
3 season removable garage wall and garage carpet.
HD Edition
Only options missing from our list compared to yours is the second fuel cell and the 7k axles, which will both add to overall weight, so for sure all the options add up in a hurry.

scottyb

ketah777, don't let the weight police scare you off. Put a good set of tires on it and enjoy it. "If it fits, it ships." I carry around 2K in my garage and just turned 15K mi on the last trip.

blong

Yup fully agree with scottyb as well, we also carry about 2k when traveling, only other thing you may want to consider is, like scottyb and us, upgrading the stock 18k pin box to something with a little higher capacity just in case. We choose the 5th airborne which is rated at 21K.

scottyb

Yup fully agree with scottyb as well, we also carry about 2k when traveling, only other thing you may want to consider is, like scottyb and us, upgrading the stock 18k pin box to something with a little higher capacity just in case. We choose the 5th airborne which is rated at 21K.

After you find the sweet spot on the air bag, it rarely chucks or bottoms out, and only on the worst of bridge abutments. I must confess that it took me a while to find it, and I suppose it could change if you changed you load significantly. Mine seems to be pretty consistent.

oscar

The weight police eh? Tell that to the attorney for the family of 6 that it landed on top of. Yes, I know that is a remote possibility. However, running seriously overweight is a lot of stress on axles, tires, frame and TV and I have seen it take it's toll. Yes, I limit the amount of fluids. And yes, I recommend that if you are going to haul a lot of stuff, you take a hard look at the options.

And, one more time..... the ONLY good source for what the thing weighs is the yellow sticker on that SPECIFIC unit.

Yes, there are trailers out there with considerably higher CCC's. They are expensive, and you will beed to buy a MDT or HDT to haul it around. Our units are at the very edge of the envelope, weight, cost and TV wise. We have maxed it out on our level.

scottyb

The weight on my truck is under each axle's rating and below it's GVWR. I am under 18K on my trailer's axles. The combined weight of the pair is below my truck's GCWR. Where's the liability?

oscar

The weight on my truck is under each axle's rating and below it's GVWR. I am under 18K on my trailer's axles. The combined weight of the pair is below my truck's GCWR. Where's the liability?

Nice fuzzy math. The tongue weight and the axle weight combined is over the trailer's GVWR.

pcardoza

We took delivery of our 2014 4100 King in Early May and have been in it full time since. The only thing I've found is that we have yet to use the Garage AC unit even once. We always have the patio set up and the 3-season doors open or screened. If it's too hot, we're typically inside or out under the awnings. In hind-sight, I would have skipped the garage AC option.