Our popping is back (6 pt level up)

Westwind

Well I was always jealous of everyone's Level Up systems and how quickly and easily they could set up, but we have been sitting in the same spot for a month and my non-level up Bighorn is very quiet. No fireworks or popping noises. Maybe I should glad I don't have the non- fixable level up system.

Pizzaguy

Well I was always jealous of everyone's Level Up systems and how quickly and easily they could set up, but we have been sitting in the same spot for a month and my non-level up Bighorn is very quiet. No fireworks or popping noises. Maybe I should glad I don't have the non- fixable level up system.

We still have the popping also, but after having it on our current fiver, I will never go back to a unit without it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We have the early 4 pt level-up and have never experienced the popping noises. Been camping in temps as high as 107 and as low as 23 (not the same day fortunately!) and we have seen some pretty big temperature swings on some days. I wonder if the number of jacks has an impact?

Ladiver

I agree that this is an engineering failure, but I will not buy another without it. The popping is only a minor inconvenience compared to the convenience of having the level up system.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I agree that this is an engineering failure, but I will not buy another without it. The popping is only a minor inconvenience compared to the convenience of having the level up system.

I agree completely....I can handle the occasional "popping"...could NOT handle dealing with leveling the old fashioned way ever again!!

donr827

I have a Bighorn 3055RL which is the shortest trailer they made in 2013. I maybe have heard the popping sound only 2 or 2 times. Have been in cold weather 39 degrees and hot weather of 95 degrees. I wonder if the length of the trailer could have anything to do with it. Just throwing another possibility out there.
Don

vangoes

Last month we was parked in a site with a slight front down slope so our front jacks was extended a little more than usual along with the forward two rear ones. The popping noise was terrible....worse than I have ever heard them; especially the front ones. Sounded like someone slamming the cargo doors in the middle of the night. We was in the Tampa area so the temperatures was moderate. We are now in a sight with a slight rear slope so the front jacks are not extended very far and we hardly have any popping noise at all. We are in Gulf Shores so the temperatures are considerably cooler. So, in conclusion it appears that the length of the extended ram has more effect on the popping noise than the temperature does.

porthole

Retired
There is movement - What is happening is that the liquid is contracting in the cold and expanding in the heat. I have marked my legs with a sharpie and an arrow and during large temperature swing days - the larger the swing, the worse the popping, the more the legs go up and down. The "AVERAGE" length of the leg is the same - but throughout the day there is between 1/2" and 1" movement up and down (total - usually less than 1/2" from center). We did the fork fluid exchange once - and we will do it again. I can see if the sharpie marks are still there and get photos throughout the day.

I would venture to say that if your rams are moving 1" you have other problems.

But, out of curiosity, when it drops down to the forecasted zero degree temp on Sunday, I will mark my jacks and see what they do.

Bobby A

It is Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891

http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...i-Stiction Fluid to LCI Hydraulic Systems.pdf

http://www.petersoncat.com/sites/all/sites/default/files/files/hydraulic_oil.pdf

I bought mine at the local CAT dealer (https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/1U-9891). They had plenty in stock, so I will called it and picked it up a few hours later. Cost was $28.86 per quart.

Thanks very much, I'm wondering if the new units like the LandMark 360 is still experiencing this noise that we all have ?? Despite the noise, I still love the system and would never have a coach without it.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
For what it's worth.... We are in Quartzsite, AZ. and the temp swings are moderate but cools down significantly in the evening. We were experiencing lots of popping and some jerking movement from time to time and lots of creaking while walking around. We had swapped out 2 quarts of fluid for fork oil last year. I think it is a combination of temps, extension lengths and time sitting in one place. Last week we took out another 2 qts & added 2 qts of CAT additive ($20 per qt.). Ran the legs up and down a half dozen times and wiped the legs with full strength additive. So far (6 nights)... not a Peep!