Palo Duro Canyon OK?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Rex, we haven't stayed there but know of other Heartland Landmark owners, of the "Crowded Camper", that have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We were there a few years ago...yes, it is big rig friendly. Going down the hill into the park was an eye-opener:eek: but I trust my driver:)

MTPockets

Yes, we've been there a few times. No size limits. Loved it so much our second time through we stayed for one month as camp hosts. The road into the canyon is no issue, but we did have one man who got down in his class C, and refused to drive it out. The park ranger was called and found a volunteer to drive it up the hill which is maybe one mile, but to most, no big deal.

dlw930

We were there last September on our way to CO in our 40' rig. Go slow going down into the canyon and you'll be fine. The Mesquite campground has big-rig sites.

TravelTiger

We've talked about hosting a Rally or Camp-out there for the West Texas Chapter. ;)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There is a wonderful outdoor play called "Texas" they have there. Well worth the price of admission.

MTPockets

There is a wonderful outdoor play called "Texas" they have there. Well worth the price of admission.
We were there too early, the play doesn't start until June.. That was too hot for us during the day, but we did get to see a free preview/dress rehearsal they held in late May before the official opening. It was vey well done.

avvidclif

Yes, we've been there a few times. No size limits. Loved it so much our second time through we stayed for one month as camp hosts. The road into the canyon is no issue, but we did have one man who got down in his class C, and refused to drive it out. The park ranger was called and found a volunteer to drive it up the hill which is maybe one mile, but to most, no big deal.

I probably would have said "You got it in here now drive it out or I'll call a wrecker" I wouldn't volunteer to drive someone elses rig where they wouldn't drive it.

TravelTiger

Thanks everyone for the replies. I know where we're going...

When, Rex? The play Texas is awesome, we were there to see in early June, visiting relatives in Amarillo so we were staying with them. Texas runs June - Mid August, Tuesday - Sunday, 8:30PM. There's a chuck-wagon BBQ meal you can get beforehand. It's pretty good, but if it's really hot, you're going to be sweating while you eat outside.

avvidclif

We've talked about hosting a Rally or Camp-out there for the West Texas Chapter. ;)

Go for it, Millies schedule allowing we'll be there. It's been probably 50 yrs since I've been there, best I can remember.

rxbristol

When, Rex? The play Texas is awesome, we were there to see in early June, visiting relatives in Amarillo so we were staying with them. Texas runs June - Mid August, Tuesday - Sunday, 8:30PM. There's a chuck-wagon BBQ meal you can get beforehand. It's pretty good, but if it's really hot, you're going to be sweating while you eat outside.

We plan on going right after the West Texas Rally.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a good time. Where is this canyon located?

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/palo-duro-canyon

TravelTiger

Ok! Well, you can scope it out for us for a future event!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Forgot to mention the "Panhandle" area of Texas does get very cold in the winter months and very hot in the summer. But beautiful country. Also in the spring keep a watch on the weather as they are in the 'tornado belt'

MTPockets

Forgot to mention the "Panhandle" area of Texas does get very cold in the winter months and very hot in the summer. But beautiful country. Also in the spring keep a watch on the weather as they are in the 'tornado belt'
We were there for one month, that was May, 2013. Early May was perfect, but we did get some snow one night. By the end of May it was hot during the day. We had to alert all the campers on our loop one night about 1:00 AM due to a tornado warning/sighting 12 miles West. That was interesting waking everyone then nothing happened at our location.

dmspkm

Thinking of stopping there in October. Do you have to drive into the canyon to get to the campsites? It looks like there are 2 different campsite areas, Mesquite/Sagebrush and Hackberry, any recommendations?

MTPockets

Thinking of stopping there in October. Do you have to drive into the canyon to get to the campsites? It looks like there are 2 different campsite areas, Mesquite/Sagebrush and Hackberry, any recommendations?

. All camping is in the canyon. We prefer Mesquite, water & Elec and a dump station near by. Sagebrush is closer to entrance but in the canyon as well.

GOTTOYS

That's one steep and narrow road going in and out, but it's not very long. We went in without our trailer. It wouldn't bother me to pull down in there. In the many times we've been through Amarillo we never knew it was there until a couple years ago. It's really worth seeing. Next time through I'll stay there...Don