Pex connections -- how to remove?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ok how do you remove these pex crimp rings easily?

evyzune2.jpg

Wanted to replace the winterizing hose. Took way too long to get that ring off!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Erika? You can either use a Dremel tool or a pair of nippers. In essence, you have to cut the "knuckle" off to remove the cinch ring.

jbeletti

I've used my PEX Crimp Removal Tool. It works but it's still a pain. It sort of lets you gnaw it off with the tool :) Mine is a Kobalt brand sold by Lowes. I assume mine is for stainless and copper.

GOTTOYS

Very easy to saw through it with a Dremel and a cut-off wheel. If replacing it with Pex you need to use another Pex fitting. A hose clamp won't hold on Pex tubing..Don

TravelTiger

Yes we crimped pex with a new copper ring and something like THIS.

414xK-JPzVL._SX342_.jpg

But we failed to realize we needed a special tool to remove the existing ring. In this case, this pex connection is to connect to the vinyl hose used for antifreeze syphoning.

A trip to Harbor Freight rendered a new pair of nippers that will go in the trailer tool box, if we ever need them.

porthole

Retired
I use a small pair of wire "end cutters".

a20792013a1c5bf5bceda7_m.jpg
Using the cutters lengthwise along the strap where it sits over the lock tabs.
Squeeze and roll the cutters towards the crimp and then peel off the clamp.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
The stainless bands I break with channel locks at the crimp point. The brass rings I cut with my sonic crafter tool.

dave10a

I use a small pair of wire "end cutters".

View attachment 27187
Using the cutters lengthwise along the strap where it sits over the lock tabs.
Squeeze and roll the cutters towards the crimp and then peel off the clamp.
I did the same when I re-did the plumbing in my basement from the PEX crimp to PEX shrink which is more reliable and is less sensitive to freezing. While doing the change over I noticed that the crimp tool used at Heartland was not calibrated properly from wear which will allow the fittings to leak with the slightest provocation.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here are the main tools in my plumbing repair kit. Not shown are the extra fittings, water heater element wrench/socket, and a short length of PEX. With this, I can do either type of PEX crimp or clamp connection. Overkill perhaps, but I like having the right tools for the job.

View attachment 27201

TravelTiger

Knock on wood, we've never had a pex leak. But better to be prepared.

We now have tools for the job.

Thanks all for the feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free