Pex Tools & Connectors...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Might have just been locally, but Home Depot only had the compression rings and tools. I had to go to Lowe's to get crimp rings and the tool for it. But there are several online sellers to choose from.

ArkSlim

After reading all the posts here , I opted to get the cinch tool. Got it on ebay for about 30bucks including shipping. Should arrive in 4-5 days. According to the supplier it works with all steel crimp rings and automatically adjusts for whatever size rings your using. Have a pair of nippers that takes them off pretty good. Now if I can find a easier way to get those plastic fittings out of the connections. Any and all suggestions welcome!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
After reading all the posts here , I opted to get the cinch tool. Got it on ebay for about 30bucks including shipping. Should arrive in 4-5 days. According to the supplier it works with all steel crimp rings and automatically adjusts for whatever size rings your using. Have a pair of nippers that takes them off pretty good. Now if I can find a easier way to get those plastic fittings out of the connections. Any and all suggestions welcome!

Yes, the cinch tool is cheaper than the compression tool. Even at the big box store. As for getting the fitting out of the connection, about the only way is to cut the tubing near the end of the fitting and then cut the tubing off the end, trying not to score the ribs where the clamp has to seat. I'd replace any plastic fitting you remove with a brass one. The plastic ones actually have smaller orifices, which adds to flow restriction.

ArkSlim

Thanks John your info. is appreciated. When I replaced the check valve on the hot water tank the threaded end of the valve broke off in the water heater tank and while working on that I broke one of the 3 plastic elbow's off in the brass conection that is one of the by-pass valves. It took a lot of time to get the threaded part of the elbow out of the by-pass valve any suggestions?

Jimmyt5

You can replace a bad PEX fitting with a Shark fitting and you don't need a tool they just push on. I have had good luck with them. Home Depot sells them, you can use on PVC,Copper, PEX.............

jgilbert

You can replace a bad PEX fitting with a Shark fitting and you don't need a tool they just push on. I have had good luck with them. Home Depot sells them, you can use on PVC,Copper, PEX.............

Jimmy,

How about a picture of these Shark fittings? Are they better than doing either of the two Pex type fittings?

Joe