Pin weight

ksucats

Clif: Thanks for the comment - :eek: I see where my last sentence was incorrect and have hopefully corrected it properly :eek:, Now, to see if my logic is correct, If we use Jerrod's scale receipts which he graciously provided, above, with his coach attached he had 4680 on the front axle, 8160 on the rear for a total truck weight,(GVW) with trailer hitched, of 12840. When he unhitched and reweighed, he had 4660 on the front axle and 3790 on the rear axle, giving him a GVW at that time of 8440. If my math is correct - 12840 minus 8440 gives a pin weight of 4,400. Back to the receipts - we see that the trailer tires, with the coach hooked up to the truck, were carrying 14780 pounds. Once more assuming my math (which is very rusty these days) is correct, Jerrod had approximately 23 percent of his trailer weight being carried on his pin at the time of this particular weigh-in. Now my use of GVW may be incorrect in this case - I'm simply referring to the total weight of the truck at that point in time.

Now, all this said, I need to go and weigh mine. When I hook up, my truck bed settles a good 2.5 to 3 inches. That was shown on the front end by the low beams blinding on-coming drivers at night (I have adjusted (lowered) them to prevent this which has made them much to low for unloaded night-time driving - sorely need air bags I suppose.) However I digress. If I'm lifting my front end by that much I believe that I must be removing some weight off the front wheels as well. I just need to find out how much. I do have the factory (Ford) fifth-wheel hitch prep and hitch assembly. I keep thinking I need to confirm that the hitch is forward though - on the older hitch there were two ways to install the legs going from the bed to the saddle, one moved the pin location forward a bit more than the other.

Again, my apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread.

avvidclif

Now you're cooking. You have to have loaded and unloaded weights to figure it out. If your F450 is squatting that much I would attribute it to Ford wanting to give a soft ride when unloaded. Sheeesh folks I bought a truck to carry a load not ride like a Cadillac. I know my F350 squats about the same and airbags bring it back up. Just real soft springs and still rides like a hay wagon with a broke spring when not towing.

Rant over....

mlpeloquin

Clif: Thanks for the comment - :eek: I see where my last sentence was incorrect and have hopefully corrected it properly :eek:, Now, to see if my logic is correct, If we use Jerrod's scale receipts which he graciously provided, above, with his coach attached he had 4680 on the front axle, 8160 on the rear for a total truck weight,(GVW) with trailer hitched, of 12840. When he unhitched and reweighed, he had 4660 on the front axle and 3790 on the rear axle, giving him a GVW at that time of 8440. If my math is correct - 12840 minus 8440 gives a pin weight of 4,400. Back to the receipts - we see that the trailer tires, with the coach hooked up to the truck, were carrying 14780 pounds. Once more assuming my math (which is very rusty these days) is correct, Jerrod had approximately 23 percent of his trailer weight being carried on his pin at the time of this particular weigh-in. Now my use of GVW may be incorrect in this case - I'm simply referring to the total weight of the truck at that point in time.

Now, all this said, I need to go and weigh mine. When I hook up, my truck bed settles a good 2.5 to 3 inches. That was shown on the front end by the low beams blinding on-coming drivers at night (I have adjusted (lowered) them to prevent this which has made them much to low for unloaded night-time driving - sorely need air bags I suppose.) However I digress. If I'm lifting my front end by that much I believe that I must be removing some weight off the front wheels as well. I just need to find out how much. I do have the factory (Ford) fifth-wheel hitch prep and hitch assembly. I keep thinking I need to confirm that the hitch is forward though - on the older hitch there were two ways to install the legs going from the bed to the saddle, one moved the pin location forward a bit more than the other.

Again, my apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread.

I do not remember the exact amount of weight difference off the front without the air bags. I think it was around 300lbs. With the air lift it is within 50lbs. The fifth wheel shifted 100lbs from the front axle to the rear axle.

hboy1

Our pin weight per the manufacturer was 3200lb dry.

I hit the scales before delivery and immediately after delivery and weighed 3000lb pin weight.

I filled the fuel tank before each weigh in.

The dry trailer weight was within 5lbs of the manufacturer posted weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

With our current coach, factory said pin wt was 1800. Scaled it right after delivery and it was 1810. 2 years ago, wife son daughter-n-hubby all on a week long trip. Scaled out after couple days of camping, enroute to next destination. CAT scale said we gained 60 lbs w/ 5er hooked up on steer axle and 2180 on drive axle so in the end the pin gained 380 lbs fully loaded VS empty.

Like others have said, a CAT scale is the best tho not may not be in everyone's backyard. Easy to use as has been pointed out. Does NOT give individual wheel weights, just axle weights.

If I do this right, you should get the idea of the CAT scale ticket/reading:

No Trailer: With Trailer: Net Differences:
Steer Axle: 4860 Steer Axle: 4920 +60
Drive Axle: 3680 Drive Axle: 5860 +2180 (actual pin wt)
Trailer Axle: 0000 Trailer Axle: 10920 +10920
Gross Wt: 8540 Gross Wt: 21700 +13160 (actual trailer wt)

(sorry folks, didn't post same way I wrote it up, so things are bunched together)