PLEASE redesign the closet door latch

snuffy

jpmorgan37 said:
Here is another idea. Take the plastic latch off. Drill a hole in the bottom through the track and door. Put a pin through when travelling. You don't need it when you are stationary. That's what we have on our sliding pantry. You can get fancy and use a little chain to secure the pin or keep a few 8d nails in case you misplace one. They will work just fine.

Wouldn't a 1/4" dowel placed in the track work just as well?

SmokeyBare

After replacing our latches twice...I decided to fabricated a latch out of sheet metal... then I wrapped it with black electrical tape. It works as well as the plastic ones with out the risk of breaking so easily.

I did this only on one side (Left) as the other side was still working... well that one too finally broke. We were soon to be moving again so I used a Spring-loaded Refrigerator Bar to keep the door shut. It worked fine... Not sure I'll bother making another latch... just pop in the spring loaded bar to keep things in their place...

happyrover

Closet door latch

Have not experienced as many problems with the latches as some have but will tell you our answer to it. First, to open the door, simply apply a little pressure inward to the door at the latch and it will open easily. Then be careful reaching into the closet. Reverse the doors when you are not traveling and you don't have to worry about the latch locking.
I think all of the ideas were good, but why have Heartland retrofit them all when it has been done.
Just my thoughts.
Mel & NinaNone

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
We rounded the sharp corners with an emery board and put them higher on the frame. Fill the hole left by the screw with a matching putty stick from Lowes. Almost all of the closets have the same sharp plastic latch. I like the heavyweight Velcro idea.

sealman

Stacey has wounded herself many times and I know Stevie Wonder has already broken his. Now that I have actually left some skin on this thing myself, I am going to the lake tomorrow and see if I can figure a fix out. I have one of those suction cups with the lever on the back.
The fix for me may be, to attach the suction cup to the front of the rear sliding closet door. If you place the suction cup as close as possible to the left side of the front door there should be no sliding action during turns(the suction cup should stick out too far for the other door too pass). I'll let you know tomorrow.
John

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Last trip out it was cold and the latches would not even flex. Pat had some heavy duty velcro. Latches came off, fell into the trash, velcro went on. Doors did not come open all the way home.:) Easy fix. Bob

Cooper

I have already replace a closet door because the latch was positioned wrong and Heartland would not pay for it and it was under warranty. They said it was my fault for not latching the door properly.
I replaced the door and reposition the latch.

tcbrady

we are going to look into a design change here - thanks for the feedback and I'll keep you posted if anything changes.

pickuphunt

latches

While we are wintering in TX for three months, I simply took those latches off even though we keep the doors open most of the time. We both have torn some skin off the arms on those plastic latches. We leave the doors open due to the humidity here in the gulf area. We use a dehumidifier and leave the air fan run most of the time. It is too cool to run the air conditioner, but the combination of dehumidifier and the air fan along with leaving the doors open keep the clothes dry. Of course when we leave for MN, we put the latches back on.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Our latch broke the night before we took it in for service. I just used an extra expanding double refrigerator bar I had. Worked fine for traveling. A single tension bar would probably work OK too, just used what I could lay my hands on.

Mariposa

velcor

Used the idea of the velcor. Works great. We have been on the road and have no trouble with open doors.
Bob

ChopperBill

I have been thinking of ways to re-do the latch but funny thing is I have never had a problem with the ones that are there. Only time we latch them is when we are moving. When we are camped we just move the doors to the there opposite sides and they open and close with no problem. Get ready to travel we just slide 'em all to there correct sides and latch them.