Poor finish on cabinets.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hard to know if HL's cabinet supplier made a change to the finish and when, but it seems to be between the 2011 and 2012 MY's. This is all supposition on my part.

Our cabinets are the "Colonial" style units - I think some might call this "Pecan". We're only 2 adults and take care of the kitchen (in particular) wiping up etc., but, after a while the units did look "used". I tried a few things, including, the dealer, Heartland, and custom cabinet makers- not one could match exactly or could furnish a small can of touch-up liquid (call it stain). BUT,lol, thanks to my brother-in-law, I was able to refinish and touch up marks, nicks, and weared spots. The remedy? SHOEPOLISH!!! :) and it not only covers up but being a wax, it does a fair job of sealing. The way to do it is a clean dry cloth, apply on the affected area, and with ANOTHER clean cloth, lightly rub the applied section. It works fine for me and I hope anyone looking to improve the looks of their cabinets will fell the same way. BTW, in my case, I used a "Dark Brown" shoe polish, not a liquid, but the small round tin. Good Luck.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, shoe polish, I would never have thought that.
Thanks for the tip.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Update-Poor finish on cabinets.

If nothing else, the shoe polish would lend a degree of moisture protection to the surface. Did HL ever divulge the actual finish type/product that was used?