Poor Heat in the camper.

bwdt

Now that it has gotten cold, I found out that the heater was really poor at heating the trailer. The bathroom was the hottest room in the camper (cooking) the front bedroom was the next hottest and the mid bunk room got some but was cold and the living room got nothing....... The factory rep told me to move the duct hoses around because they must have been installed incorrectly.

They were installed correctly and it is a bad design, but this is what I found.
20181111_133611.jpg20181111_133617.jpg:mad:
These ducts are screwed into the floor in the basement and flow air to the midbunk room and the living room and as you can see they didn't even line them up.

I ended up installing a restrictor in the bathroom supply hose and the front bedroom supply hose. I cut a piece of cardboard into a four inch circle and put about a one inch hole in the center of it for the bathroom and an inch and a half for the bedroom hose. This worked great, but the bathroom is still a little warmer than I like.

I now have air flow to the living room and the midbunk room but the midbunk room was still a little to cold. I pulled the floor vent and cut a piece of cardboard about five inches long by two inches wide, I screwed it into the floor edge on the wall side facing down into the vent. This caused a slight increase into flow into the midbunk room and it now stays very comfortable.

For those of you who don't know, it is very important to heat the camper evenly, it you don't you can end up with a dew point mold problem in the colder areas.

Happy warm camping.:eek:

Last edited:

Kathi-27

heat could get hot enough to cause cardboard to possibly burn. I would use aluminum or metal. have you checked on adjustable vents? On our lm we put adjustable floor vents in place of factory vents. got them at lowes.

bwdt

The output temperature of an RV heater is between 140-170*, much lower than what would cause cardboard to burn, but it will dry out over time. If you are really concerned about it, you can wrap it with aluminum foil tape instead of using metal.