Poor Quality Work 7 Years Later

agpopp

We’ve owned our Sundance since it was new.

Like most owners of any brand RV, we’ve had lots of issues due to shoddy workmanship over the years but the problems have always been repaired for a reasonable amount and on we go.

However, the latest problem is beyond comprehension - the butyl tape on both rear corner seams had twists in them near the top (three twists on the right side) when originally applied and the rear window butyl tape didn’t meet in the bottom left corner – six inch gap!

Despite my regular seam caulking, the water leaks were impossible to stop and I had no way of knowing they even existed until I noticed a small area of delamination on the exterior bottom of the rear wall.

The pictures below show the extent of the wood rot on the framework – thousands of dollars of repair work because of poor workmanship and no quality control.

I’m not singling out Heartland since the body shop claims that all rigs, regardless of cost, are built to the same poor standards. Sure glad the auto industry doesn’t build their vehicles the same way…

The body shop put it back together better than new – replaced the framing, applied butyl tape properly on the corners and around the window and caulked completely but who knows what other hidden problem will rear its’ ugly head next.

View attachment 47818View attachment 47819View attachment 47820View attachment 47821View attachment 47816View attachment 47817

WOW! At least you had putty tape!!!! Guess you all missed my thread about my Sundance:
https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/61976-Hope-I-fixed-corner-leak-surprised-at-findings

mlburst1

I did see your post which re-affirms the lack of quality workmanship and no quality controls as these rigs are thrown together.

John T Bettencourt

The only thing that would change any of this poor workmanship is Japan to start building quality RV's and ship them to the USA. We would see the quality change big time. That is why our cars today are built so well.

olcoon

WOW, Mike hadn't seen your post until now, hate to see this! Just hope ours holds up until we are able to get a new one!

When someone says handmade, we envision workmen working with pride and craftsmanship, and taking their time, but getting done in a timely manner, and producing a quality product. However from what I've seen & heard this isn't so in the RV industry. I know if I owned an RV company, and my employees were putting out a product like some of the coaches are popped out of the factory, I'd be looking for new employees, and or re-training the ones I've got.

mlburst1

Roy,

After seeing two other rigs with delamination problems in the body shop at the same time as ours (much more expensive fivers), I don't want a new one - at least the back wall of ours is put together correctly now.

Bohemian

Keep paying by piece work, but keep employees on site for a full day's labor. No early dismissal.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: Poor Quality Work 7 Years Later . . .

This is by no means a scientific fact or survey, but just my own personal opinion based on my observations from this and a couple of other places on the world wide web were people discuss these things.

That being said, it seems to me that more often than not that the RV's with the most and more intense issues are those that were special ordered versus those that are purchased directly off a dealers lot.

Someone is given a date that their RV is supposed to hit the line, then they get notified more than once that the date has been pushed back, then when push comes to shove in the factory they rush the thing through just to get it out the door.And when they are building for dealer stock, there most likely isn't as big of a rush.

We bought both of our brand new RV's off of a dealers lot . . .

And we had many issues.

Most of them minor in comparison with some of the stuff I read about here with some of the bigger, more expensive, and mostly special ordered models.

Again . . . Just an opinion . . . Nothing more, nothing less.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)

My opinion on this particular subject really boils down to pride. There aren't many people out there anymore that have pride in the work they do. If more people in this industry took pride in what they are doing the quality would come back.
Mark

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

My opinion on this particular subject really boils down to pride. There aren't many people out there anymore that have pride in the work they do. If more people in this industry took pride in what they are doing the quality would come back.
Mark

This is very true. A lot of that is from how they are treated by there employer and some is just the person. If a person is treated like their just another employee in a sweat shop then they end up with a bad attitude and don't really give a darn. But if you treat them like family or better LOL and work with them to improve there flaws. You will end up with a completely different product.
Hope Heartland is listening...

SilverRhino

True that this is an industry wide problem ...... but we are all on this forum because we have or may plan on laying our hard earned money down for a HL product. Seems logical to start trying to deal with a problem from what you know. There is no need to bash HL but at the same time, there is no need to sugar coat the issues that are known to plague HL products. Need to keep it real especially for those that are trying to find pre-purchase information. Nothing or no one is perfect!

Just an observation based on belonging to the forum for a few years and following various threads.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired

[JohnD]This is by no means a scientific fact or survey, but just my own personal opinion based on my observations from this and a couple of other places on the world wide web were people discuss these things.

That being said, it seems to me that more often than not that the RV's with the most and more intense issues are those that were special ordered versus those that are purchased directly off a dealers lot.

Someone is given a date that their RV is supposed to hit the line, then they get notified more than once that the date has been pushed back, then when push comes to shove in the factory they rush the thing through just to get it out the door.And when they are building for dealer stock, there most likely isn't as big of a rush.

We bought both of our brand new RV's off of a dealers lot . . .

And we had many issues.

Most of them minor in comparison with some of the stuff I read about here with some of the bigger, more expensive, and mostly special ordered models.

Again . . . Just an opinion . . . Nothing more, nothing less.

[JohnD: That is some theory you have posted numerous times! It definitely isn't scientific and no support of validity other than opinion...I have had two Heartlands, both ordered, both super rigs. From what I have witnessed, it doesn't matter if you order or pick up at a dealer, each unit of the same model takes about the same time with the exception of selected options, the same process, the same assembly line and the same workers. Options should not have any effect on quality as the dealer orders options the same as the end user! I would question expressed thoughts that line workers are concerned about who is buying the unit, ie the Dealer or an end user? They have a build sheet for each unit and the daily production continues. Just my two cents worth! ]