Popping noise - I've had it checked by dealer

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
They didn't add any to my neighbor (you) when they got the spaces wrong. Maybe thats my problem, I got one quart that was meant for a Cyclone...

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Since adding the maxima a week ago and traveling and setting up twice, we have had zero popping!
It was getting very bad before adding, but we had been sitting in the same spot for 90+ days and had not exercised the system at all.
Seems to have solved it for now, so the question begs to be answered.... Was it the new fluid or the excercising of the hydraulics?
(note... I also cleaned and sprayed the landing gear legs with slide lube)

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have yet to add any fluid. I have popping still at times and I still believe it is the fluid getting through the seals on the rams. I believe that the excersize of the system is a good thing. The more those seals are kept pliable the better. But I am no Engineer, just a person with my opinions.

Since adding the maxima a week ago and traveling and setting up twice, we have had zero popping!
It was getting very bad before adding, but we had been sitting in the same spot for 90+ days and had not exercised the system at all.
Seems to have solved it for now, so the question begs to be answered.... Was it the new fluid or the excercising of the hydraulics?
(note... I also cleaned and sprayed the landing gear legs with slide lube)

bdb2047

Lippert started with a 6 point.
Manufacturers, when offering it as an option started, with the 4 point ($$$)

And there is a reason they are all now 6 point.

Ours came with 4 point had 2 jacks added at Quartzsite this year. Big difference no popping or any movement of trailer now.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ours came with 4 point had 2 jacks added at Quartzsite this year. Big difference no popping or any movement of trailer now.

You had the 3 set of Hydrolic legs installed, how much did it run you? I really want to have this done.

Rholou

We have a 2013 Bighorn 3610RE. The last time we use our RV the noise starting, the first time it happened I thought someone slammed our storage compartment door closed, but the noise continued the rest of the night. We have it stored at an RV resort in CA and when we use it they transport to our site and by the time we get there it is parked with the landing jacks down. I would like to add the fluid but the instructions say to retract all jacks, put half the fluid, level up add the rest of the fluid and then retract the jacks. Since we do not have a way to retract our landing jacks can I still add the fluid without retracting the landing jacks or will that do more damage then good?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You won't have a problem adding the new fluid.
The reason for retracting the landing gear is to get the new stuff mixed in.
So, you could still retract some a few times and eventually it will be mixed in.
Be sure to remove one quart of oil from the reservoir before adding the new quart.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my awesome Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

KiwiRVer

We have a 2013 Bighorn 3610RE. The last time we use our RV the noise starting, the first time it happened I thought someone slammed our storage compartment door closed, but the noise continued the rest of the night. We have it stored at an RV resort in CA and when we use it they transport to our site and by the time we get there it is parked with the landing jacks down. I would like to add the fluid but the instructions say to retract all jacks, put half the fluid, level up add the rest of the fluid and then retract the jacks. Since we do not have a way to retract our landing jacks can I still add the fluid without retracting the landing jacks or will that do more damage then good?

Adding the additive without retracting the landing gear will do no harm but it will do no good either as the additive has to mix with the hydraulic oil throughout the system to get out to the landing legs to reduce popping. The only way to do that is to extend and retract the jacks a few times. You can do this even when parked just by using the manual facility in the Level-Up controller. You could even use the auto-retract facility if you don;t want to hitch up. It might look scary dropping the front landing legs right down to the ground but as long as there is nothing underneath the rig it will do harm. Lippert recommends the jacks be cycled half a dozen times to properly circulate the additive. Remember the hydraulic system also includes the slides so you should bring these in before carrying out the retraction. This is to both to reduce strain on the slide mechanisms if you are not level and also to reduce the amount of oil in the system that does not have additive in it.

Having said all that we still get pops with movement despite 2 quarts of additive having been added in the last two years. The best way to minimize the popping is to keep the jack extensions as short as possible by putting blocks under each jack when leveling.

chaplady

I know this is an old topic and I've looked at previous posts on it. However it is getting worse. I was at the dealer last week, and they found nothing wrong. The problem is worse just after sunrise and sunset, so appears to be related to temperature change. Although it makes noises 24/7, whenever anyone moves in the fiver and randomly every hour or so, it pops every few minutes when temps change more quickly. We're currently parked on level hard pack (dirt/gravel mix), but it happens on concrete or soft dirt with boards under the pads, and whether the site is level or sloping. The stabilizer is always down solidly.

Does anyone else experience this much noise? It is getting annoying, especially all through the night.
I had popping noise with level up system followed advice of several removed 2 ots of oil from system and replaced with catapiller anti- stiction oil. It quiet my popping noise down quite alot after it got well blended into the system. There was a thread on forum about use had 2 other brands of anti stiction oil to use as well

Routemaster

Yes, also changed out the control valve at the leg also in and out with slides up and down with all legs to check for air, cant see any leaks in the lines unions tight. Tank level ok.
Den.