Popping noise

danemayer

Walmart sells 1/4" cutting boards for a dollar or two. They may work better than wood, allowing slight movement of the pads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DougS

Doug S
Tried the cutting blocks from Walmart, and they worked for several months, but then the slippery surface wore off, sound started again. Now using the waffle style pad for a year, they work well, no sound.

DonMac

I have been in contact with Carl at Lippert and there is no cure for the popping as of yet. He is still working on it. They know that it is the expanding and contracting of the aluminum and steel when the temp changes 15 or so degrees in any direction. Steel frame..aluminum landing. We are in Arizona and our popping is very bad. Rig shaking ect. Jan 20th 2013 we had three jacks replaced due to leaking. We were told that a "kit" had been added to stop the popping. The fix was to put a graphite based lube between the frame and the jack,then bolt it togeather with 4 bolts not 6 with a different torque on the bolts. Needless to say this has not worked. Whe have the front landing gear and the jacks on 16"x16"x4" concrete blocks. Non skid rubber between the foot pads and the blocks. Still popping like crazy as I write. I have noticed that when the temperature does not change no popping. When it stays cold no popping. When it stays warm no popping. It pops when the temp changes 10 to 15 degrees then holds untill the next temp change. Carl stated that he himself is working on it but no fix yet. He also knew that the "kit" fix I got was not the answer. So after all this time no one knows. I talked to Carl two weeks ago after the fix did not stop.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
I had seen this thread earlier. Was just in Kerrville, TX where it was in the upper 20's at daylight, then up to the 60's by the afternoon, then temps dropped like a rock after sunset. Front landing gear was popping constantly. Dogs were barking at it, I was half asleep in bed and felt like the front corner was dropping inches.
Got to be the temperature changes, doesn't make a difference what they're sitting on.

tmcran

I have been watching this thread. I could not really imagine what sound would be like. Visiting friend in RV park today. All of sudden heard a very loud pop. Friend said that it was a Big Horn two spots over. He said the noise has disturbed everyone around them. I could not believe how loud that was. I can't think anyone could deal with that noise very long. Is this on BH models only?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Corectomundo, I will always have the hydraulic levelers.
I get the popping but almost don't even notice it anymore.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

tmcran

Corectomundo, I will always have the hydraulic levelers.
I get the popping but almost don't even notice it anymore.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The noise must be at different levels. What I heard today was so loud you would have to be deaf to have it not bother you.

DonMac

Yes it is very bad to be awakened four times in one night with what sounds like a gun shot. This has been going on for a year now and as stated not a fix in site. That is very strange as this has been going on with the Lippert for almost two years when you see the dates of the posts on the subject. I wonder what it would cost Lippert to fix or retro fit every unit with this problem. Could be big bucks. Just perhaps that is the reason for no fix. If I had researched this problem prior to purchase I would not have gotten this leveling system. Thats how bad it has become. Multiple popping as I write...temp droping.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We've had this system on two units now...the first was an early version that did pop off and on for about a year until I discovered it was from over extending the legs. Drove the neighbors crazy...and their dog. Put blocking under the low side whenever necessary and never had the problem again.

Now have the newest version and use the same blocking process and it has never made a sound, never....and days here can go from the teens to sixty degrees within hours....Not sure what is causing such problems in other units???

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
It's really strange. At Retama and Buckhorn, I auto leveled and it was definitely affected by weather changes. Here in Rockport, I leveled the trailer in manual mode and have had NO popping. No great temp changes here yet but will report what I find.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
It's really strange. At Retama and Buckhorn, I auto leveled and it was definitely affected by weather changes. Here in Rockport, I leveled the trailer in manual mode and have had NO popping. No great temp changes here yet but will report what I find.

At Retama and Buckhorn you were on concrete...what about Aransas Pass? The first year with the Bighorn it was always bad at Retama, but if we were somewhere not on concrete, virtually no issues. It was at Retama we started blocking the low side to lessen the stroke on the pistons.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We're on concrete here too. I blocked at Retama but not at Buckhorn. Here I only blocked under the rear stabilizers.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
it was definitely affected by weather changes. Here in Rockport, .....have had NO popping. No great temp changes here yet but will report what I find.
Been here for 48 hours (in Rockport, TX) and temperature range has only been about 15 degrees, nothing drastic. No popping at all. Really dreading going to Tucson next year where I know it will be in the 40's when we get up and 70's by noon.

RB2012

Popping In Florida

My 2012 bighorn did not pop when it was new, sat on same site in Fl last year on concrete with a 2x6 block of wood under each jack . This year its POPPING like crazy while sitting on same lot with same wood under ea leg, pops day and night maybe 50 times, really annoying

Capt RC