Porch light/ scare light

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
hey beer, I agree with about opening the cabinet door to turn on lights. Thats why I moved mine to the wall.
Very easy to do

itsbeertime

Where'd you move the switch to SouthernNights? I've already considered doing the same but have only had the unit 4 days and haven't dove into the wiring and such.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
hey beer, I agree with about opening the cabinet door to turn on lights. Thats why I moved mine to the wall.
Very easy to do

Same here. Not a good design at all. I moved my kitchen and living room switches to the wall right after getting my Bighorn home, or rather I "added" two more switches. I just used jumpers from the original ones. Frequently used switches should not be behind closed doors.

itsbeertime

Thanks! Duh. I missed it the first time you said on the wall. I had first thought of putting a message center there (like the brochure says it comes with even though it doesn't and they wanted to charge me another $50 to add one), so I guess I'll rethink that.

Just bought a 2010 Bighorn 3670RL. I have the same problem. I have two switches. The hot jumps from one switch to the next but there is only ONE wire leaving each switch. So the D/S Security and the Porch light is tied together someplace in no-man's land and I am not going there. The O/D/S Security is on a separate switch. I hope there is a simple fix for this since I am 70 miles from the dealer and would rather not have to tow it all the way back just to get something like this fixed. I did stop at the dealers after our first weekend in the new camper and they looked at another Bighorn model and it was wired with one switch for BOTH security lights and a separate wire for the porch light. I could live with that. But we love the new Bighorn.

jbeletti

PandB,

There was a couple of week period early in the 2010 model year for LM/BH/BC, where we wired the front porch light and door side security light together and on the same switch.

We have since improved that and here is how it is done now:

Step light: on it's own switch
Porch light: on it's own switch
Security light Door Side and Off Door Side: On the same switch

This does not help you, but I wanted you to know that going forward, we have addressed it.

Thanks.

Jim

SilverRhino

How About 1 More Switch

PandB,

There was a couple of week period early in the 2010 model year for LM/BH/BC, where we wired the front porch light and door side security light together and on the same switch.

We have since improved that and here is how it is done now:

This does not help you, but I wanted you to know that going forward, we have addressed it.

Thanks.

Jim

Jim;

Why not add the extra switch so that the Security lights could be controlled separately?? There are many times you might not want to have both Security lights come on.

I plan on adding the fourth switch to my 2010 BC ..... I am going to use two dual switch boxes on mine. Will post pictures of switch when I get around to it.

Travel safe.

Randy

Last edited:

Tom of Ypsi

Our Classic Landmark has a swtich for each light for a total of 4. Randy you are right there are times, most of the time, that you do not want both security lights to come on. Why would you want to light up the neighbors area with your ODS light when you have only the need for the DS light?

Thanks.

Jim

In order to use the porch light I have removed the bulb from the security light. Not a good solution but the best I could come up with at the present time. So far this is the only issue we have had. Really love the unit.

rick_debbie_gallant

PandB,

Thanks.

Jim
Jim:
this is how my rig is set up from the factory:

Same on my 3670, but on the bottom step going upstairs to bedroom.
yup, ditto

nope, Door side has its own switch.
Off door side has its own switch.

This is for a total of 3 switches in the panel and there are two switches on the bottom stair step. will send pictures tomorrow. dark outside now..

Alan,

On yours, since there is trouble with the wiring from the scare lights to the switch, if it were me, rather than "raising the roof" or some such, I'd consider removing the scare lights, going straight through the wall into the closet area, then down into the underbelly and up into the wiring chase and up to the switch area. Easy for me to say. Not even sure the lights line up with the closet. Just an idea on a fix.

I finally took the time to fix this. I removed the light and drilled through the wall into the closet like you suggested. I ran a piece of wall mount wire tray from where the wire came through to the front of the closet. I dropped from there down into the wireway that could be seen below and fished it through into the basement. I ran it up and tied it onto the same switch as the o/d/s security light. Our dealer is supposed to be getting me a switch to add to the switch plate since it is a three gang plate and only two switches. Once I get the third switch I will separate the two security lights. All told, I had several days of effort into this project. But most of it was spent tracing down wires trying to see if there was someplace I could separate them. I finally decided that the wires ran from the switch to the porch light and from there across the top of the wall to the security light. The actual fix took only about 2 -3 hours.