Power Issue & Replacement Battery Suggestions......

chasdvorak

I have a 2009 BH 3580RL and am having intermittent problems with my Landing Gear/LevelUp system. On occasion, I start to Autolevel and a solenoid begins rattle before stopping the process. This was not a regular occurrence, but did happen enough to cause concern. At times, it would also happen when connected to 120V shore power or the truck. I cleaned the battery terminals and tightened the ground and it seemed to help. Any suggestions for verifying correct voltage through all systems? Also, Ron at Trail-Air suggested adding an additional battery. Any suggestions on best battery combo and installation wiring.Thanks In advance,Chuck Dvorak

brianharrison

Hello Chuck,

The 12 volt Autolevel probably uses a fair amount of current and I'm not sure if your converter would supply enough current on demand - ie I suspect the battery bank is required to supplement the hydraulic pump current demand even when plugged into shore power. If your one battery is weak, your voltage may be dropping, increasing current and possibly tripping your autoreset breaker for the autolevel system.

A 2nd battery would provide additional reserve capacity. I have always used same Group and Type together (a must, IMHO), and some swear by keeping the same age of batteries paired together (I am unsure of this one). Therefore if you currently have a Group 27 wet cell deep cycle, the second battery should be the same.

For wiring I always go with the largest good quality copper wire that I can work with, I try to use min 2/0 or 0 AWG.

Hope this helps,
Brian

sgtbigb

Brian, do u have a two battery set up in your Landmark?
Hello Chuck,

The 12 volt Autolevel probably uses a fair amount of current and I'm not sure if your converter would supply enough current on demand - ie I suspect the battery bank is required to supplement the hydraulic pump current demand even when plugged into shore power. If your one battery is weak, your voltage may be dropping, increasing current and possibly tripping your autoreset breaker for the autolevel system.

A 2nd battery would provide additional reserve capacity. I have always used same Group and Type together (a must, IMHO), and some swear by keeping the same age of batteries paired together (I am unsure of this one). Therefore if you currently have a Group 27 wet cell deep cycle, the second battery should be the same.

For wiring I always go with the largest good quality copper wire that I can work with, I try to use min 2/0 or 0 AWG.

Hope this helps,
Brian

brianharrison

Brian, do u have a two battery set up in your Landmark?

Yes I do. - and I am designing a 4 battery replacement system. I do a fair amount of dry camping.

I do not have a level up system though, thus my lack of knowledge on its power draw.

Take care,
Brian

hoefler

The solenoid chatter is due to low voltage. A sign of under charged batteries or weak to bad batteries.