Preventing ODS Cargo Door "crunch" on Key Largo and Rushmore

Status
Not open for further replies.

danemayer

There have been a few reports on new Key Largos of people damaging their ODS cargo doors when closing the bedroom slide. When the cargo door is fully open, it contacts the bottom edge of the slideout. If you forget, and pull the bedroom slide in, the door and latch get torn up.

At our South Texas rally today I looked at a 2013 Rushmore with the same arrangement.

If the Rushmore is representative of the Key Largo problem, I think I have a simple and inexpensive solution.

These bumper guards go on the corners of the slideout to protect your head. The one on the rear corner also keeps the cargo door just far enough away from the slideout that it should prevent accidental damage. You can probably also find these guards at many RV dealerships.

I've posted a picture that shows the clearance from the door latch when the guard is in place.

Attachments

• Slide Corner Bumper.jpg
    Slide Corner Bumper.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 186

porthole

Retired
Bedroom slides that can crunch the the cargo door could be a real headache for Cyclone owners crossing platforms.

It is not possible to do this with the Cyclone arrangement. And because of that I frequently operate the slide, open or close, with the basement door open.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I also have placed a small "Noodle" on our door and it does the same thing. It was like $3.00 at wally world. All I had to do was slice it down the middle.

There have been a few reports on new Key Largos of people damaging their ODS cargo doors when closing the bedroom slide. When the cargo door is fully open, it contacts the bottom edge of the slideout. If you forget, and pull the bedroom slide in, the door and latch get torn up.

At our South Texas rally today I looked at a 2013 Rushmore with the same arrangement.

If the Rushmore is representative of the Key Largo problem, I think I have a simple and inexpensive solution.

These bumper guards go on the corners of the slideout to protect your head. The one on the rear corner also keeps the cargo door just far enough away from the slideout that it should prevent accidental damage. You can probably also find these guards at many RV dealerships.

I've posted a picture that shows the clearance from the door latch when the guard is in place.

Squatty

Dan - Outstanding idea. The Mesa has the same situation as the Key Largo and Rushmore. This solves two problems with one solution. Fantastic, Thanks.

Squatty

OOOPS! I was wrong. The Mesa has a larger bedroom slide that totally covers the hatch door. So, no slide corners intersecting the hatch door. Won't work for me. My apologies for the wrong info about the Mesa.

MaxOwner

If I remember correctly, the storage compartment door will go under the bedroom slide on our Key Largo. Coming close to touching slide. So when closing slide, if door is all the way up, you will be mad after trying to close slideout.

In four months of ownership, I have come close way too many times to causing damage. I keep thinking it only needed to come close once and I would remember........... Not quite.

bobsue2

Too late for us...on our first trip we caught it...repair was $450.00

After owning a Bighorn before this one...we got trained to pay close attention for obstacles on the inside of the trailer when bringing the slides in

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Yesterday at the Pamona RV show I talked to Kary Kaztzenberger and Mike Moreland about this issue. It has been corrected at the plant by installing shorter supports. Maybe a call to HL will get you the supports that stop the "crunching".

wildwolfproducts

The door on ours sticks out far enough its can't catch when the slide is closing? Was wondering if they had extended it for our 2012 model? But see one of the above with a 2013 thinks his will catch?
But I make sure to double check it is closed before closing the side.
Pete

Update:
I was wrong it can catch the latch, almost made that mistake in the fall. But felt when they hit and stopped. Thus saving my self a door. It pulls the latch up and that is what causes the issue.
Will be putting the edge guards on ours before our first trip the end of the month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.