Price check on Ford DRW 1ton

MTPockets

I have the FX4 package and as far as I understand it I dont have the Hill Decent (Exhaust Brake) option. As there should be an activation button by the TRaction Control button.

The tranny will downshift early in Tow Haul mode and use resistance from high rpm to add to the slowing of the truck. But that is only effective if there is enough rpms in that particular gear to help

The Ford option build sheet I have from the dealer says the Hill Descent is part of that package, but only on SRW... The Hill Descent and Exhaust brake are two different things. Exhaust brake is on all the 6.7 Deisels.

dave10a

What did you get that changed the rear springs on a 350?

I have yet to see a 2011+ 250-350 SRW or 350-450 DRW that didn't drop a few inches below level when dropping a heavy 5th wheel on the hitch (2500+). With the new springs they all drop just enough to push your headlights high.

And the "FX4" "rancho" shocks are nothing more then cheap shocks re-painted and branded rancho and colored boots added. They are not the same shocks available over the counter, nor anywhere near the quality of the OTC upgrades.

I see no need for a dually. My head lights are fine and the drop is level--- As you can see in my picture. I did get the snow plow and camper package. That adds more spring on the front axle and a sway bar on the rear as well as the front. The gears are stock at 3:55. I have pulled the trailer coast to coast and boarder to boarded and have not had any problem with power and handling. Ford has sufficient over design in the GVW that make the dually not necessary for a 16K trailer..

dave10a

The Ford option build sheet I have from the dealer says the Hill Descent is part of that package, but only on SRW... The Hill Descent and Exhaust brake are two different things. Exhaust brake is on all the 6.7 Deisels.

The duallys don't do well in the snow and off road terrain and is intended for heavy GVW. We learned when I was in the Forest Service working my way through college. Maybe that is why Ford does not have the hill descent for duallys.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
The duallys don't do well in the snow and off road terrain and is intended for heavy GVW. We learned when I was in the Forest Service working my way through college. Maybe that is why Ford does not have the hill descent for duallys.

It seems it would be used for duallys being that they are intended for heavy loads. Whilst heavy loads need the most help to stop.

As for snow and Offroad. That's why the engineers added TCS for those that have no clue on how to adjust driving style to the terrain.

porthole

Retired
Hill descent is a feature for steep, off road use.
TCS is switched off by the PCM when in 4WD.

Last edited:

dave10a

It seems it would be used for duallys being that they are intended for heavy loads. Whilst heavy loads need the most help to stop.

As for snow and Offroad. That's why the engineers added TCS for those that have no clue on how to adjust driving style to the terrain.

Engineers only do what marketing approves. Personally I don't like all the automatic stuff and many times finding myself using the manual select mode for the tranny when in hilly country . I was raised with manual transmissions and still have a hard time letting this automatic stuff make decisions for me. There are still features in my truck that I don't use. Maybe some day I will read the manual to educate myself. Meanwhile I'll let my grand kids believe that I am still in the 18th century :)