Pro/Con

Bohemian

No, dish uses 3 satellites...119, 110,129.....while your home type dish will pick up all 3 with the correct alignment, the tailgaiter has to adjust when you change channels...hence why the secondary box is limited to what channels it recieves...you should see exactly the same programming at home or with the dish tailgaiter , with the exception of locals with are operated on a "spot beam " and are only available within a certain radius of any given zip code.

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Never said one satellite.

IronJ

Dish uses fewer satellites thus it's antenna is simpler. It aims at only one spot. Upside, more antenna options esp for HD. Downside. Less programming available, esp HD.

Directv uses up to 3 different sat positions. Fewer antenna options. No automatic carryout antennas avail for HD. Upside, much more programming available, esp in HD.
Never said you did?...you indicated dish used "fewer satellites thus antenna was simpler"...

I assumed you Meant simpler than direct which also uses 3 satellites for programming...

I'm only referring to the core programming satellites...I know there are others for Spanish and Hindu Zulu whatever but they are irrelevant to the discussion...

Last I knew ( and it's been a while admittedly) direct was 99,101, 103.. or maybe 101 110 and 119??..

Either way I never said one nor did you....if I misunderstood your "fewer" comment I apologize...

J

Bohemian

Never said you did?...you indicated dish used "fewer satellites thus antenna was simpler"...

I assumed you Meant simpler than direct which also uses 3 satellites for programming...

I'm only referring to the core programming satellites...I know there are others for Spanish and Hindu Zulu whatever but they are irrelevant to the discussion...

Last I knew ( and it's been a while admittedly) direct was 99,101, 103.. or maybe 101 110 and 119??..

Either way I never said one nor did you....if I misunderstood your "fewer" comment I apologize...

J

Sorry. I said what I said. Not fighting.

MikeR

Dish uses fewer satellites thus it's antenna is simpler. It aims at only one spot. Upside, more antenna options esp for HD. Downside. Less programming available, esp HD.

Directv uses up to 3 different sat positions. Fewer antenna options. No automatic carryout antennas avail for HD. Upside, much more programming available, esp in HD.

Dish actually needs to find 3 satellites also. Satellite numbers are: 110, 119, and 129 for the western arc. If you're looking for the three satellites in the eastern arc they are: 61.5, 72.7 and 77. You need to locate all three in either arc for all stations and hd.

Bohemian

Yes, with Dish you can use 3 satsuma at different positions.

With Directv you can use up to 5 satsuma at different positions

With Dish you can use 1 automated sat antenna and get both SD and HD programming.

With Directv most of the automated antennas (not all) can not receive hd. None of the carryout antenna are sped to receive hd.

There are many more details we left out.

SNOKING

We have had Directv for years. SD and now HD with a slimeline SWM setup. Alignment of the HD dish is easier than the old SD antenna. The mount has scales built in for elevation and tilt.

Start with a plumb mast (very important, invest in a cheapo 1 ft level at your local hardware store). In the setup menu you are requested to enter your zip code then the receiver lists tilt, azimuth and elevation for your location. Set the antenna for the specified tilt and elevation and eyeball the azimuth (the slimline is centered on 101, same as the 18", so point the Slimline in the same direction).

If your eyeball of the azimuth is good, you will have a signal when you connect the receiver. Probably somewhere in the 80-90 range on 101. Check 103 and 99, their readings should be in the 60s. While looking at the signal meter on 103 or 99 adjust the fine adjustments for a peak signal. There is a lag between adjustment and results being seen on the meter, so make small adjustments and wait a few seconds to see your results.

The nice thing about the SWM setup is you only need one coax to the dish. We are running two HDDVR's and have a third in waiting for the belly TV. I use a smart phone app and a table to view the antenna alignment TV screen while aligning the dish. Or call inside on our cell phones.

Chris