Problem Emptying Black Tank on North Trail 24RBS

5deano6

Hi,
We recently bought a 2011 North Trail 24RBS. My problem is figuring out how to get the black tank to completly drain. I can drain it at the campground (I assume the trailer is fairly level) but it doesn't completely drain. When I get home and it is sitting in the driveway with the rear of the trailer higher than the front, I can put a bucket under and open the valve and more waste will come out. When in that position (and "drained"), I can use the black water tank flush (built in on the rear of the trailer) and still get dirty water out. And, once it is flowing clean with the built in flush, I can use the wand in the toilet and get even more dirty water to come out. I feel like the only way that I can get a truely clean tank is to empty it at the dump station then when I get home, alternate between the built in tank flush and the wand several times before I get clear water flowing at all times. What a pain! I have not pulled the covering off the bottom of the trailer to see exactly where the tank exit is and how it is plumbed to try to explain this but there has got to be a better way. Do I need to have one corner of the trailer higher to drain properly? It seems like it should be designed to drain properly with the trailer level. Maybe the bottom of the tank is sagging below the drain point??? I have never had this problem with any others I have owned! Has anyone else run into this with a 24RBS?
Thanks.

hoefler

Get one of those valves with a clear section. Like this http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/flush-king/20522 This allows you to close the valve and fill from the hose end. Back flushing and using the in tank flusher several times is the only way to try and get everything out. Sometimes you may have to raise or lower the front of the rig to help it out. On ours, it will help if the front is higher, but I can get it done level.

RuralPastor

We use a Flush King as well. It does a good job of removing waste that otherwise sits in the tank. I think we paid around $25-$30 for ours on Amazon.

danemayer

Better price. When dumping the tank, after it runs clear, if you close the external valve and keep running the black tank flush for a few minutes, then open the valve, you'll get a surprising amount of additional stuff coming out. I'll often to this 3 or 4 times to make sure the tank is clean and nothing is stuck in the valve.

With the external valve closed, use a timer to keep track of how much water you're adding through the black tank flush. Don't get distracted or you'll be very sorry.

Our owner-written Water Systems Guide has tips like this and others that you may find helpful. Here's a link.