Progressive E-Mail in advance of Hurricane Hilary (San Diego Area 8/19-8/21)

wdk450

I am at Thousand Trails Pio Pico about 15 miles East of Chula Vista/ San Diego. Current TV news weather is predicting Hurricane Hilary to hit Sunday as a Category 1 hurricane. Last hurricane in San Diego 1938. I got a nice E-Mail from Progressive RV insurance this morning saying that they are ready to help with my claims needs, and giving me ways to contact them. I find this pretty thoughtful.
"
How to prepare for Hurricane Hilary
Progressive claims experts are on alert as Hurricane Hilary approaches.

To help keep you and your family informed, we recommend visiting ready.gov. There you can find safety tips on hurricane preparedness and what to do before, during, and after the storm.

We're always here, no matter what's happening. You can check your coverages or report a claim anytime, anywhere.
"

Kbvols

Yep that was thoughtful however they probably should have told you to get out of harms way if possible.

We’ve rode out a couple tropical storms the past few years but can’t say I would want to ride out a hurricane even a Cat1.

Hopefully you can move out of the path of the hurricane if not do what you can to take shelter until the storm passes. Keep safe!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

Progressive recommended that insured check out the "ready.gov" website for guidance in what to do.
TV Weather casters predictions have been wavering back and forth as to if the storm will just be a tropical storm or a (lowest) category 1. I use WeatherUnderground and here is their current 10 day prediction graphs for Jamul, California: https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/ca/jamul/32.72,-116.88

Note that the rainfall is just 1/2 inch for Saturday, 1-1/2 inches for Sunday when the eye passes through between 2 and 5 pm. Maximum wind peak 43 mph. I remember being through an afternoon wind and thunderstorm in Elkhart in 2014 that I think was worse than that.
On edit Saturday 7am PDT: Per TV newscasts storm path has moved East from a direct hit of the San Diego area. Rain estimates the same here, peak storm time about the same (3pm Sunday) BUT THE FORECAST PEAK WINDS IS DOWN TO 19MPH THEN.

The storm covers a very wide area, and I would have to drive hundreds of miles East to get out of it (can't drive hundreds of miles West in San Diego). In fact, the TV weather forecasters say that the East side of the hurricane eye gets a lot more of the rain - they were predicting 6-8 inches Sunday for the desert Imperial Valley.

Last edited:

Kbvols

Been thinking about you as I watch weather updates for hurricane. Yep sounds like your best bet is to just stay put. 40-50 mph winds not too bad. Hope you’re safe and sound. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

Well, maybe I was in the right place for the "storm". This park in the high hills East of Chula Vista is surrounded by these hills, most part of an open spaces preserve.

Saturday had moderate winds and 1/2 inch rain predicted for here. We got calm air and no rain all day. Sunday light rain started about 10 am, stayed light until about 1:30 PM, light winds. Worst was at about 1:45 - 2:15 (lost satellite reception - a good measure of cloud water intensity). Winds maybe 25 mph at best. Light rain stopped then re-started later in the evening, gone by 9 pm.

The creek that floods out the road in 2 directions and overtops the short bridge dividing the 2 sections of the park in bad rain was completely dry this morning.

No flooding here, no trees or tree limbs down. It was far worse in the heavy spring rains.