Propane ON or OFF when travelling ?

jearnest

Purchased mpg in late April. Have only had it out twice since purchase. Always turn the tanks off prior to stopping to gas up at service stations otherwise the fridge is running on propane.

traveler44

I pull with a diesel so I am not afraid of a big explosion from filling the truck. On the other hand if I saw a big puddle of gas on the way to the pump I would probably shut my propane off and turn it back on later especially if the weather is hot. In the winter we tow with the furnace turned down low all the way to Fl. Half the time we get fuel while hooked up and the other half we get it after we unhook at the rv parks. I have seen a lot of people who don't shut their vehicles off when fueling in the winter, especially in the north. That usually scares me more than what an rv fridge would do.

After a bit of persuasion, the dealer finally checked out my complaint and found a short in the slide that was causing the fuse to blow. Problem corrected.

Asked the dealer if there was any reason for concern over towing with propane turned on and the response was a definite NO. Guess that make sense; otherwise, the possibility of running the frig on propane while towing would have been a product liability issue and a motion sensor would have been installed for cutting off both the propane and the electric when the vehicle was in motion. I forgot that we have the government to legislate protection for our own stupidity . . . he-he. No cause for concern.

wdk450

I have been reading about this concern of causing ignition of vapors at fueling sites by the open flame of the propane refrigerator for a long time. Am I missing something, or hasn't anyone thought of covering the refrigerator vent covers with metal door screening, which acts as a flame stop???

Lynn1130

On-And the frig won't stay cold that long here. Maybe Canada but not Arizona. In-fact I play **** getting it cooled down while it sits in-front of the house for two days while I prep for summer camping trips.

Willym

I've pondered the insallation of a mesh cover around the combustion area. However for such a flame arrestor, I think that a fairly heavy gauge, but fine pattern mesh, fitting very tightly around he area would be required. Putting something like that over the whole vent opening would likely restrict the cooling air flow.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We keep the fridge on "auto", so while we are unplugged from shore power the fridge runs on LP. During summer months it does not take long at all for the fridge temp to rise above 40 degrees F (if the fridge is turned off after cooling down), so turning the LP off while on the road is not an option (unless it's for a short period of time, an hour at most).
When we stop to fill up (diesel) we usually are at the diesel only pump.
Depending on where you check there are just as many "professionals" that say it's ok to run LP on the road as those that say "no, keep it turned off while on the road".
Bottom line, make sure all components of your LP system are maintained appropriately and on a regular basis.

boatdoc

We have always traveled with it OFF for no reason other than it's not needed on the Oregon coast. We run with it off going South also as it is in the cooler part of the year and our travel hours are only 6 to 8 hours.