Propane tank gauge?

rayk4e

I used that exact model on my old travel trailer (20# tanks) and they worked well IMHO. In fact good enough that when I traded it in today for a RW415 I took them off the TT so I can use them on my new unit. The Truma sounds very interesting though and I may have to invest in one just to because I'm a gadget guy that has to have stuff like that. :)

Update: Belay that... just checked the price and $70 is a bit steep for this purpose. I'll stick with the gauges I have and only use one tank at a time and filling it up when emptied.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Pulling the tanks out of mine to weigh them is way too much trouble. Big enough PITA just to get the empty out, then put it back full. I may redo the regulator hoses and mounting so that I don't have to fight the regulator with its short stiff hoses being mounted on the tank hold down rod.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I had one of those BBQ type gauges on one of my tanks and a RV tech took it off.
He said they have found they are "okay" for one function at a time, but restrict flow for multiple items using propane simultaniously ie; furnace, stove and/or generator. Trace

SilverRhino

We should all have an infrared thermometer anyway.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_464304-295-31030S_0__?productId=50125851

the temperature above the fuel level is warmer than below. We need this thermometer for tire, hub, radiator and air conditioner temps. Southwire is a good brand and the price is right.

I only keep one tank open at a time to avoid being surprised with having both tanks empty.... but..... I like the idea of using the IR thermometer....Great idea...Thanks for sharing.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Several folks here have said that they only keep one tank open because they don't want to be surprised by running completely out of propane. I'm never surprised because, although I keep both tanks open, I take a moment to open the compartment door and glance at the regulator every day or so. Its soooooo easy...

JohnDar

Several folks here have said that they only keep one tank open because they don't want to be surprised by running completely out of propane. I'm never surprised because, although I keep both tanks open, I take a moment to open the compartment door and glance at the regulator every day or so. Its soooooo easy...

Same here.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We added a Remote changeover indicator.

http://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Gas-Controls-RCI-24-Changeover/dp/B002UC2WTS

If both tanks are open, this will "warn" that the changeover has occurred, so you know you need to refill a tank. Since we like to camp in the winter, we can go through a 30# tank in about 3.5 days... So it's good to know when you need to refill!

We have the warning light positioned next to the breaker panel, so it was an easy route for the wire and easy to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

We added a Remote changeover indicator.

http://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Gas-Controls-RCI-24-Changeover/dp/B002UC2WTS

If both tanks are open, this will "warn" that the changeover has occurred, so you know you need to refill a tank. Since we like to camp in the winter, we can go through a 30# tank in about 3.5 days... So it's good to know when you need to refill!

We have the warning light positioned next to the breaker panel, so it was an easy route for the wire and easy to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at that a while ago. Not bad, I guess, if you have a Marshall 254 regulator.

caissiel

For me it's a no brainer i just keep both tanks open and check the switch dial. If its red i replace the tank asap. Never ran out of propane. And never will.
I use a tank every 4 days and have 3 spare tanks here. So usually fill 4 tanks at a time in cold weather. I fill at costco for 1/2 price so it's favorable and they are 50 miles away.

Birchwood

Use only one at a time.When one is empty get it filled and so on.Don't set the dial for an automatic switch or you may be left in the cold.

danemayer

Let me say it a different way - if the empty tank indicator doesn't operate correctly, even though you check it every day, one day without warning you'll find you have two empty tanks. And of course you'll make this discovery at 3 AM in sub-zero weather.

That's why so many people run with one tank open at a time.

Wharton

We have always kept both tanks on and the regulator has never failed, We have been rving for 40+ years. We are also aware about when a tank "should" be used up based on the weather(DW is much better at this than I am).

caissiel

Using one thank with the indicators of today is like going back to horse and buggy times. In addition how can someone in today's environment if he cannot trust a well design system aim at making life much easier.

Jim.Allison

I have a third cylinder for use with the generator. It comes in handy for an aux cylinder. I also have a little short cylinder for the grill, I have used it to get another few hours out of the generator and furnace. I keep them in the garage and not the basement for obvious reasons. I also try to fill at near the area where I will be staying, they do not seem to have any heartburn about filling 3/4 full cylinders. I just pull up and get out all my cylinders and they fill and top off all of them, so when I get where I'm going I have more than enough. If I run out it is because I deserve to run out. I will have had so many warnings and indications that it can be nobodys fault but my own. LOL.