Propane usage outrageous

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
I use propane for water and heat and I have been running almost two months and haven’t switched tanks yet. I keep the stat at 68 but it only gets in the 40s here at night and I turn on the hot water in the morning for a shower then shut it off.
I think it is about the same running all electric (space heaters and electric wh) but I feel like I have a little more control using propane. I have 2 40, 2 30 and 2 20lb tanks (collected from previous rv). I’m debating a 100lb tank rented but so far it’s lasting quite a while.

cjb2283

Your propane usage seems pretty outrageous. I recently went on an 11 day hunting trip in the mountains of Utah with my TT, North Trail Caliber 28DBSS. Although its prolly a lot smaller than your 5er, I had colder temps. I would see temps in the teens every night. Coldest was 10* with an average of prolly 18* during the night and then most days would warm up to about the mid 40*s. I ran the heat at 68* and the water heater, both constantly since it was my first cold trip with the TT and didn't know how well it would perform. I would also cook with the stove at least once a day. I had two 30# tanks on the trailer with a 30# spare. Each tank would last 4 days...to the hour almost. I had no issues holding inside temp at 68* and I had no signs of freeze up. I was very happy with how my TT performed. No secondary heat was used and generator was ran about every 2-3 days to charge the batteries.

Lynn1130

I disagree. The OPs usage is pretty much normal for a large 5th wheel and those temps. Mine is about the same, IF, I don't have three other hunters coming in and out when the temps outside are 20 F.
One or two people in the trailer with no constant in and out will make some difference but the big difference is the size, number of windows and insulation, if any. It is much different with a single door trailer compared to a double door 5th wheel with an uninsulated garage, like mine, so it becomes apples and oranges, unless we stick with something close to the trailer in question.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Your propane usage seems pretty outrageous. I recently went on an 11 day hunting trip in the mountains of Utah with my TT, North Trail Caliber 28DBSS. Although its prolly a lot smaller than your 5er, I had colder temps. I would see temps in the teens every night. Coldest was 10* with an average of prolly 18* during the night and then most days would warm up to about the mid 40*s. I ran the heat at 68* and the water heater, both constantly since it was my first cold trip with the TT and didn't know how well it would perform. I would also cook with the stove at least once a day. I had two 30# tanks on the trailer with a 30# spare. Each tank would last 4 days...to the hour almost. I had no issues holding inside temp at 68* and I had no signs of freeze up. I was very happy with how my TT performed. No secondary heat was used and generator was ran about every 2-3 days to charge the batteries.

I agree that your propane usage is pretty high. I just camped the past 4 days with highs in the mid 30s and lows in the teens (12* was lowest). NW winds in to 10-20 range. Used only 1/2 20lb tank. Also ran 1500watt heat strip in the Rear A/C and portable heater (1500 max) to ensure heat at both ends of my TT. North Trail Caliber 32BUDS. Both slides were in the direction of the winds. Furnace ran frequently at night but certainly not continuously. And occasionally throughout the day. Kept the temps throughout about 70 or higher through the weekend. Both the portable heater and heat strips ran occasionally but were also not heating continuously.

Furnace is 30,000 BTUs.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You cannot compare a TT usage to a 5th wheel. 5vers have more slides, higher ceilings, larger windows, more square footage, two levels, and the furnaces usually have individual flexible ducts that go from the heater to each vent, while a TT sometimes has one long rigid metal duct with vent openings running within the flooring structure.

I recall that our TT was much more efficient with propane use to warm the whole trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

My point exactly. My 26 ft TT was worlds different than my 37 ft 5th wheel in heating and cooling.

carl.swoyer

We’re full timing, heading south this next week. But been in western NC where the temps are finally typical for Nov. Most nights in the low 40’s, daytime until this week has been in the mid 60’s to 70’s. But we are going through propane like crazy.

We have 3 zones. The bedroom is on the heat pump. And we only use one zone in the living area. We also keep our fireplace running. Only using propane for the furnace on one zone. We had it set at 67, dropped it to 62. Yet we’ve gone thru 2 40 lb tanks in 4 to 5 days. Bedroom is set on 63. We don’t mind layering clothes but 62 is a bit much. Upping it to 66, our two tanks last about three days.

Our rig is almost all electric and hooked to shore power. We have our water heater on electric. Fridge is residential. No stove top, have an induction cooktop.

What can we check to see why we are going through so much propane so quickly.
We use the electric fireplace. Using the thermostat on it we set it to 70 to 77. We leave for the day and it has worked out for us. We also use the gas heater as backup. We have done this before with snow on the ground.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
I don’t know, I was full timing in a 32ft TT for the past two years and switched to this landmark two months ago. I would go through about 20lbs a week in the TT and I’ve not used a whole 40lbs yet for two months in the Landmark (still waiting for that first cold shower).
My TT had an uninsulated 11ft garage with no vents so I had to leave the interior door open to heat that part. Had two outside doors plus the garage door vs one door on the Landmark. Landmark has twice the wall thickness than my cheaper TT had.
I even had a small electric heater in the TT that I haven’t used yet in here. Granted it hasn’t really got super cold yet but it does get in the 40s already.

cjb2283

I disagree. The OPs usage is pretty much normal for a large 5th wheel and those temps. Mine is about the same, IF, I don't have three other hunters coming in and out when the temps outside are 20 F.
One or two people in the trailer with no constant in and out will make some difference but the big difference is the size, number of windows and insulation, if any. It is much different with a single door trailer compared to a double door 5th wheel with an uninsulated garage, like mine, so it becomes apples and oranges, unless we stick with something close to the trailer in question.

You cannot compare a TT usage to a 5th wheel. 5vers have more slides, higher ceilings, larger windows, more square footage, two levels, and the furnaces usually have individual flexible ducts that go from the heater to each vent, while a TT sometimes has one long rigid metal duct with vent openings running within the flooring structure.

I recall that our TT was much more efficient with propane use to warm the whole trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please excuse my lack of experience with 5ers but why would so many people fulltime in a 5er then if they are that un-economical? I did mention size difference in my post, so I am not disagreeing with you there. But, I do have two doors, my furnace has individual flexible ducts to each vent, and a slide that is half the size of my box. I am not directly comparing...I was merely explaining my experience in much colder weather while not conserving my propane usage.

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
We have a 2013 landmark key largo and have been running our furnace for the past week set at 65 along with the fireplace and only have the one thermostat on in living room. Last weekend temps dropped into the high teens at night and low thirties during the day and we still are on the first tank. I know your unit is a bit bigger and may need to use a bit more but 80 lbs does seem like a lot to use in a short period of time but I'm not an expert on it either.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Please excuse my lack of experience with 5ers but why would so many people fulltime in a 5er then if they are that un-economical? I did mention size difference in my post, so I am not disagreeing with you there. But, I do have two doors, my furnace has individual flexible ducts to each vent, and a slide that is half the size of my box. I am not directly comparing...I was merely explaining my experience in much colder weather while not conserving my propane usage.

Your experience is great information! I was not trying to discount it.

Personally, I have 396 sq feet, 5 slides, 14 windows, two levels and an interior ceiling height over 8 feet for most of the rig. In temps consistently between 20 and 40, even with 2 extra heaters and fireplace, we can go through a 30# tank in about 2.5 days. Luckily, we don't live where this is the case all the time, so we tolerate it. Many of our neighbors have large tanks, and I suspect it's to avoid the constant trips for refills.

Each individual has a different tolerance for cold, as well. I am OK with the coach in the mid to high 60s inside, while others may need it over 70.

I don't know if RVs are built with energy efficiency as a goal. They are cheap houses built to move. They promote that the RV's walls are "better insulated" than the competitors, or they add insulation in areas that others do not. If efficient cooling and heating were important, manufacturers would be advertising and improving more in that area, and pushing their suppliers of the heating and cooling appliances to do the same.

My goal was just to say, those with Travel Trailers seem to have more efficient heating than the large 5th Wheels, and that it's very hard to compare the two.

Lynn1130

why would so many people fulltime in a 5er then if they are that un-economical

Perhaps that is what they prefer to do. They probably like it that way. Why question others motives or preferences. If they are happy, fine. I don't full time but I do enjoy the comfort of a larger unit and can afford it so that is what I do.

There are different dynamics with heating different types of trailers. 5th wheels, as was mentioned, usually have high ceilings, heat rises. The forward bedroom in most 5er's is not as well insulated (front cap). I have several slides which radiate heat as do all of the windows. I can close off the garage but if using it with family and/or hunting the doors are open and closed often. People going in and out of main doors often drops the temps inside and pretty quickly because it is a small space. The heater tries to compensate. I could go on and on but the bottom line is it is inaccurate to say that one person's usage is "outrageous" or not normal. All specifics are not the same. I also have 30 lb tanks not 40 so I will go through mine before someone with larger tanks. When I had the travel trailer I seldom if ever went through both 20 lb tanks on a December hunt.

Last edited:

cjb2283

Just to clarify, the OP claimed his own propane usage as "outrageous". I am not trying to offend anyone, especially 5er owners and full timers. I one day hope to fulltime myself, just have to get the wife onboard. That is why I am on this forum, to learn from the ones that have real life experiences.

Flooringit

My cyclone 4000 has both individual heat ducts and a long metal box that has a vent on each end. That venting section sucks. It barely blows heat out. But if I took the registers out it blew a bunch of heat out. So I decided to take the register off and take the box off the bottom and they blow out lots better. But not near as good as the ones in the bathroom and bedroom that are angle vents to a single register. I have see a few other vents that are aluminum. Not sure where they are going yet. I've actaully thought about adding a t in the bathroom line and then adding a 3rd vent in the living room. Bathroom doesn't need a bunch of hot air.

southernlady5464

My wife would disagree. She does not like a cold bathroom while showering.
I’m with your wife on that one. I tolerate a cooler bedroom than most. I can always add blankets. And it’s nice that the duct lines go under the floor so it’s like having a heated floor in there.

What has helped was a suggestion to lower the furnace to 55 (mostly to keep the bay from freezing), using the HP option in the bedroom and the fireplace in the living area.

It’s also helped that we moved further south into AL for the holidays (kids are here).