Propel HPR Diesel Fuel

wdk450

Gang:
Does anyone use this fuel on a regular basis? I found it quite by accident at a Chevron gas station in Hemet, Ca. where it was one of the lowest-priced diesel fuels in the area at that time, and I thought I could put the purchase on my Chevron credit card. I found out that the Propel fuel (E85 and diesel) dispenser pump was a separate vendor at the Chevron station, and the pump did NOT accept my Chevron card. I finally found their website this morning, and the write-up on their recycled fats and oils based diesel fuel is impressive, especially for a low-priced option:
http://dieselhpr.com/learn-more

hoefler

Bio-diesel. Get ready to change your fuel filters. Bio is a better fuel for lubrication and the environment with about the same energy as crude oil diesel. Only bad thing about it, it is excellent cleaner. It will break loose any gunk in any tank it sets in.

wdk450

According to their website it is NOT biodiesel, has a 40% better cetane rating than the ATSM minimums, has better lubricity, puts out lower emissions, and is one of the cheaper diesel fuels around. Availability is limited in certain area of Northern, Central and Southern California. Company is headquartered in Redwood City (Bay area) Ca.

hoefler

It is derived from used and new vegetable oil and fats, it is Bio. Call it what you want, it is still Bio. it is all about maketing.

Lynn1130

From Wikipedia "Biodiesel refers to a vegetable oil - or animal fat-based diesel fuel consisting of long-chain alkyl (methyl, ethyl, or propyl) esters. Biodiesel is typically made by chemically reacting lipids (e.g., vegetable oil, soybean oil,[SUP][1][/SUP] animal fat (tallow[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP])) with an alcohol producing fatty acid esters."

Sounds like a duck quacking to me.

If you use it be prepared to change the fuel filter several times within the first 10K miles.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
It will also "eat" fuel lines and o-rings in older (relative term) vehicles while it cleans the heck out of your fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Biodiesel also will get thick and cake up at low temps. It should not be a problem during the Spring to Fall months.

wdk450

Most of the descriptions of Biodiesel for sale at pumps has it mixed with 70 - 90 % regular (dino) diesel. This stuff doesn't say that. Also, the way I read the description of Propel diesel it was made from vegetable and oil (petro?) sources.
The 40% better Cetane rating attracts me, and I will try to use it when I can find it. I was hoping for some other experienced input from the forum.

Oh, BTW on the low price; although the other pumps at the Chevron station have a $0.10 per gallon credit card surcharge, the Propel pump does not have this cc surcharge.

RoadJunkie

I would agree that there may be benefits to Propel HPR, but let's look at the benefits. Wait, what are the benefits? Higher Cetane rating? Ok, what does that do for us? Better mileage? Go faster? What about cost/mile? Is it cheaper? Now, maintenance. If I remember correctly, on a Ford 6.7L--well 6.4L too, for that matter--states that you must increase your maintenance interval rate by about half if you use bio-fuel. Marketing aside, this fuel walks like a bio-duck, so...for me, I would steer clear. A call to your vehicle's manufacture tech support line would/might offer some answers and recommendations.