Proper Tire Inflation Pressure?

57chevyconvt

Just replaced the original Power King tires with four Good Year G614 LT 235/85R16 due to tread/belt separation on two of the TOMAX tires. My question is to what pressure should the GY G614 tire be inflated? The tire sidewall inflation pressure states max pressure of
110 psi (wheels are rated for 110 psi). The trailer is a 2010 Big Horn 3410RE with a GVWR of 14,600 lbs. Fully loaded, the trailer ways 12,700 lbs.

In the past I have always inflated the trailer tires to the max. allowable pressure.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
You will be fine running at 110psi. I have a similar trailer but choose to run 100psi. There are many opinions out there so do what makes you comfortable. There is a chart on the Goodyear website for inflation pressures as compared to tire weights. I will have to come back with a link later. Maybe another forum member will provide it sooner. Travel Safe!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You cannot go wrong inflating to what is stated on the sidewall of the tire. Have you weighed your rig by weighing each tire? If not then go with the max cold inflation on the sidewall.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I look at it this way. I can't be accused of contributing to a blowout by running it under-inflated if I always inflate to the recommended cold PSI.

PUG

Pug
tire pressure chart adj for temperature.jpgI use this chart from Smarttire. The base temp is 65 degrees. You look at your CIP cold inflation temp on the sidewall, mine is 80 pds, so I would fill to 80 at 65 degrees. At 32 degrees I fill to 74 and at 90 I would fill to 85. This compensates for the tire pressure changing as the temp increases or decreases. As far a weight per axle/tire goes I am always just under the max allowed so by using this chart I don't get overinflated or underinflated. I have checked the chart against my TPMS TST unit and have had no problems.

RollingHome

Not to steal the thread... Do any of you have a recomendation for a simple to use digital tire preasure gauge which will read over 100 PSI ? I bought a unit from Walmart sold by the Green Slime folks which is a total POS. I need to return it to get a simple minded easy to use (ie ME) unit which I can use in confidence.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I've always run 100 psi in my cold tires. Mostly because I can't seem to get my air compressor to pump up the tires any higher even though it says it will provide 150 psi. Anyway, the 100 psi hasn't seemed to put any undue wear on the goodyears after 1 and 1/2 seasons of pulling the rig.

jnbhobe

Keith; If the guages on your compressor show 150psi try inflating your tires when it is running, you may have to drain some air to get it to start.I have to do that with the one I carry in the rig. Have a Merry Christmas.

caissiel

My 12 volt compressor will blow a 15 amp fuse on startup when the line is hooked to the tire.
I just switch the unit on and screw the hose on the valve stem and pump till the gauge comes up to the reading I found was right for 110PSI.
I had to experiment with the analog reading on the compressor gauge compared to the digital tire gauge.
On the Compressor I pump to 97 PSI and when I remove the hose the tire is 110PSI on the digital tire gauge.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Keith; If the guages on your compressor show 150psi try inflating your tires when it is running, you may have to drain some air to get it to start.I have to do that with the one I carry in the rig. Have a Merry Christmas.

Same here. I use my Makita 3 gal. compressor (for my air nailers) which only goes to 120 psi. So, I fill it until it stops, dump some to restart it and then apply the chuck to the tire. Gets 110 psi on the blade style tire gage, no problem.

GOTTOYS

I think you can crank up the cut out switch on the compressor so the pump will start out at a higher pressure when you are using it. That way you wouldn't have to bleed it down until it starts up again. I did this to one I had years ago and just haven't looked at the little one I have yet. Just make sure you get the right switch so you don't mess with the high limit shut-off...Don

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders

Thanks Jon. I'll give that a try when I pull it out of storage in the spring. Hadn't even thought of bleeding off the tank to go higher.

Hope you and Patti have a very Merry Christmas.

Keith

KL7j

View attachment 11380I use this chart from Smarttire. The base temp is 65 degrees. You look at your CIP cold inflation temp on the sidewall, mine is 80 pds, so I would fill to 80 at 65 degrees. At 32 degrees I fill to 74 and at 90 I would fill to 85. This compensates for the tire pressure changing as the temp increases or decreases. As far a weight per axle/tire goes I am always just under the max allowed so by using this chart I don't get overinflated or underinflated. I have checked the chart against my TPMS TST unit and have had no problems.

I think the chart you posted indicates that if you filled your tire to 80 psi at 65 degrees and the weather at your new location is now at 32 degrees, your tire will read 74 psi.

I dont interpet it as a chart on how to under inflate to maintain 80 psi load capacity in cold weather by starting out under-inflated. If under inflation was required, then tire manufactures would need to state PSI for every cold temp.

If starting at a 32 degree location with the tires cold and wanting the tire to carry the same load rating it did with 80 psi at 65 degrees then the tire needs to be aired up to 80 psi.

The cold tires to achieve their maximum rating should be inflated to their maximum PSI at whatever cold climate you are running in.

lwmcguir

The cold tires to achieve their maximum rating should be inflated to their maximum PSI at whatever cold climate you are running in.

That is a fact and that is the way about% of the tires in the USA are inflated. Ask how many semi drivers let air out of their tires when they are running empty or partially loaded.

TireHobby

Often overlooked is the most obvious place to look for your vehicles correct tire pressures. The tire placard and your owners manual. The vehicle manufacturers set tire pressures (on all DOT certified tires). Everything you read will tell you it’s your best information. The only normal exceptions is when you’re no longer using the same size tires on your vehicle as the ones that came on it or are traveling with loads outside of the normal for your vehicle.

TireHobby