Proud Papa! Braggin moment ahead... My Son finally Solo piloted an Aircraft!

FiremanBill

A little over a year ago my son Mason and I took the FAA ground school in hopes of both of us becoming a pilot. Just fun for me but a career ambition for him. We were both flying at the Aero club on Langley AFB but budget constraints shut that down and I can't afford for both of to do it at the local airport due to the higher cost. So I stepped back and let him press on.

He has done exceptionally well and this past Sunday he made his first Solo flight at the age of 17. I have had many proud days as a parent but this one has to take the cake for sure. Normally I get terribly nervous for my kids but I knew he had this in the bag and even though I was watching my pride and joy lift off into the wild blue yonder I was not nervous for him at all.

He is one fine young man that is for sure.

Here is the onboard video he made of that flight. What a way to record such an endeavor. This was made with a Go Pro Hero2 HD camera. They are awesome little cameras.

http://vimeo.com/64024548

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Congratulations to Mason, that is quite an accomplishment. Makes me remember back to my first solo 46 years ago, the thrill and satisfaction of that accomplishment will never be forgotten. Looking forward to meeting you at the rally.

RuralPastor

Congratulations to your son! He'll never forget the day, and neither will you! Mine was May 19, 1980. One day after Mt. St. Helens erupted.

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
Congratulations to you and your son! It was so long ago but I remember my solo too..... what a feeling!
You both should be very proud!

Buckeye

Great job Mason! There is nothing like the feeling when the instructor gets out and you are on your own( pucker factor). I can remember my helicopter solo flight 46 years ago and I still miss that thrill today after retiring from commercial flying in 2011.

hcriddle

Way to go Mason! Makes me remember mine so long ago also. Have tons of fun with your flying career.

FiremanBill

Thanks for all the kind comments. It's cool to see so many fellow fliers on here as well!

Mason's goal is to attend the USAF Academy and fly for the Air Force. I truly feel he has a legitimate shot at getting is also. He has all the squares filled so to speak and the grades to go along with it.

Very proud of that young man!

Attachments

• IMG_20130414_151804_239.jpg
    IMG_20130414_151804_239.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

jimtoo

Congratulations Mason,,, also to a proud Dad. It is a great feeling to know you did it. Does he still have his shirt tail??? or is that tradition gone with so many others?

Hang in there, continue to work your rear off, study hard and you will succeed.

And after you get a little more time,,, go and find a glider, get some instructions, solo and talk about nice, fun and a great learning tool.

Jim M

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Congratulations to you both!
As others have said, it's a day you never forget.
Though many will argue that the glory days of aviation are gone, I admire anyone who takes up the challenge of pursuing a career in aviation. There is a tremendous feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction gleaned from operating the machine. No other job will allow one to visit so many places and see the many things this earth has to offer.
I've earned a paycheck flying everything from a single engine Cessna to a 747. After 30 yrs I'm looking forward to retirement but I still get a thrill every time I climb in the seat and start turning on switches regardless of what kind of plane it is.

PS My signature refers to the RV not the airplane!!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Fantastic... Good to see a young man working to make something great for himself.

My Grandson is 12yr and has joined the Civil Air Patrol. So far he is learning Ground Control and Survival.

I am hoping that some day he will also be a pilot. He wants to go to the Air Force Academy.

Congradulations.

BC

donr827

Brings back memories of my first solo flight around 45 years ago in a Cessna 150. The flight school had a tradition of ripping the back of your shirt up and then printing the date with a black marker. Also my first cross country solo flight was a little tense.
Don