Pulley Lift for Fifth Wheel Hitch

porthole

Retired
Nice Jamie!
I am getting a TS3 hitch and they're really heavy so I need an electric winch. So your project gave me the push to order something (Harbor Freight online).
1500 Lb. Capacity 120 Volt AC Electric Winch

So, you made up your mind with the hitch.
Did you get it with the onboard air?

You would do well to add a snatch block to that winch.
It will slow it down a bit (good for when reinstalling) and ease the strain.

Last edited:

jbeletti

Duane,

I know what you mean on the HF quality. Some of the stuff is just not that good. I have several good examples. But some stuff it just doesn't matter to me (wrenches, screwdrivers etc.). I bought a second set of tools for cheap and rarely use them and really, they're okay for my use.

Now, careful with their battery chargers. Just ask Larry B. He borrowed mine at Hatteras that time you did a fire safety seminar, and the charger caught fire. Oops!

Anyway, I'd used one of the HF winches before to pull my hitch, it was fine. This one comes with a wireless remote too, so I'll use it from the side of the truck.

In terms of using a snatch block - are you saying, use that on the ceiling and mount the winch a distance away? I plan to mount the winch to the header above the car garage door and drop the hook/cable between the header and the opened door. Worked great on my last install.

Yes, I decided to get the TS3. Will likely get the air option from them as it's simple and independent, just in case my accessory air system is inop (it's happened).

As to the accessory air system, I have not fully determined what this will be. Likely a ViAir 480C compressor and some level of tankage (single 2 gallon, two 2 gallons, single 5 gallon).

Jim

porthole

Retired
Add a traveling pulley. Either a "add-a-pulley" type AKA snatch block, or any that you can add to the cable. (Tractor Supply)
Hook the end (hook) to the winch, through the pulley and back to the drum. By the pulley traveling it makes the mechanical advantage 2-1
Doubles the lift capability, cuts the speed in half.

Realistically though, no way that winch is puling 1500 pounds on a dead lift.

The snatch will ease the load, the side benefit is cutting the speed
in half. Makes it easier to align the hitch.

The key is the pulley is traveling, if it was fixed it would only be a directional change.
Mine is a Tractor Supply item.

Attachments

• garage_winch.jpg
    garage_winch.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 88

jbeletti

Duane,

Are you saying:
1. Remove hook from end of winch cable
2. Loop cable through snatch block pulley wheel
3. Reattach OEM hook to cable end and connect hook to hole in winch
4. Pull/lift load with hook on snatch block

In this way, there are 2 cables that lower down with the snatch block traveling down in the cable loop?

Is that right? I have a Tractor Supply a mile away.

Jim

porthole

Retired
Jim
ill take a better picture tomorrow, but you have the jist of it. You do not need to remove the hook. TS will have what you need in a version that has a removable wheel. A snatch block has a quick opening side plate. The kind you need will have a removable center pin, 2 or 3 inch diameter should be good. And it will be cheaper.

Last edited:

jbeletti

Thanks Duane. Leaving tomorrow for GA and FL. Winch should arrive any day now. So I'll have "another" project to add to the never ending list of projects around the truck, RV and home :)

Jim

PUG

Pug
I just ask my wife to pick it up and set it up on a high shelf. All those gym fees, weight training and steroids have paid off! Just don't want to mouth off to her...

truknutt

Committed Member
I just ask my wife to pick it up and set it up on a high shelf. All those gym fees, weight training and steroids have paid off! Just don't want to mouth off to her...

Oh buddy!!! And I thought I lived dangerously!!!

porthole

Retired
Thanks Duane. Leaving tomorrow for GA and FL. Winch should arrive any day now. So I'll have "another" project to add to the never ending list of projects around the truck, RV and home :)

Jim

Jim, the tricky part is balancing that hitch with a hook. My hitch is still in storage, but when I get it I'll take some pictures of how I secure it to the winch.
My hitch is hauled up 15 feet and then over 30 feet, so it needs to be secure.

jbeletti

...My hitch is hauled up 15 feet and then over 30 feet, so it needs to be secure.

Do you trolley it on an overhead crane? :)

I bought two 6 foot straps, figuring I'd put those under the hitch and pull them together above the hitch and pick at that point. Would like to see a picture of your rigging next time you pull your hitch out.

Jim

porthole

Retired
Do you trolley it on an overhead crane? :)

Yes - my buddies shop. The DRW does not fit in the garage where the home winch is.

I bought two 6 foot straps, figuring I'd put those under the hitch and pull them together above the hitch and pick at that point. Would like to see a picture of your rigging next time you pull your hitch out.

You can get by with one strap. Put it right under the saddle, just push the spring out of the way a bit.
I did that several times.

I now use 4 pieces of chain, 4 small shackles, 1 larger shackle joining the 4 chains and 4 holes drilled in the hitch.

floridarandy

John - thanks to this post I've saved the time and money of trying to rig a hoist to remove my Reese 16, slider. It took 2 people to lift the entire hitch assemply out of the truck bed and I was running out of friends who wanted to help. After doing a google search for a hitch hoist I discovered your post in this thread. After a few minutes looking at my hitch I discovered the large pin and how easy it was to remove. With the hitch now in two parts of approximately equal weight I discovered, as you did, that I can easily remove and replace the hitch by myself. Kudos to you for noting this here!

Randy in Florida

I remove and reinstall my 16K Reese hitch with nothing more than a pair of gloves. It breaks down into two parts simply by knocking the large pin out that holds the head to the base frame. Takes about 5 minutes to get it off the truck, carried and stored in the garage under a tarp for the winter. All of the pins get stored in a small plastic coffee can I set under it.