Pulling from Knoxville to Myrtle Beach SC - Need Route Advice

richiek

Hello All:

My family and I are embarking on our first trip to Ocean Lakes SC in a couple of days and as is usual, I plan the route very carefully. I've spoken with a couple of people re: the trip and their reactions range from "that's a tough pull" to "you'll be fine." What has me concerned is the pull through the mountains - I'm a novice at towing our fifth wheel (I've towed it about five times this far) so I need to mentally prepare for any "white knuckle" moments that may occur during the pull. We've got a rather large unit (Road Warrior 425) but I've just replaced my TV with a 2015 GMC 3500 CC DRW so it should pull it with relative ease.

My route takes me from I-40 to I-74, I-26 to I-20 then a short hop onto I-95 then south on 76 into Ocean Lakes. Thanks in advice for your thoughts/advice.

Richie

Power-Stroke

richiek-
I'm not aware of a better route than what you have listed. I think the only "fun" part of your trip is when you get into NC... Just a long stretch (about 20ish miles) of winding I-40. Take your time and you'll be fine. We travel that section of I-40 a couple of times a year when we head to Anchors Down (near Sevierville).
Safe travels,
Jay

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
No problem. Just watch your speed on the long downhill runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kbvols

We took the same route thru Knoxville to Ocean Lakes except at Conway I took 544 over to Myrtle the road ends right in front of the entrance to Ocean Lakes. Like Power-Stroke said take your time on 40 into Asheville as the road is a little curvy.

buddyboy

We live down here. Good route you've planned. Watch your downhill roll in the mountains. Traffic here is very congested on 501 (76 intersects with 501) and 544 eastbound beginning late morning Fridays and continuing through the evening. Pack your patience and prepare for a slow haul. We locals try to stay off the roads to the beach as much as possible, so you'll be traveling with others who may be traveling here for the first time. When we're coming back here (if we must come during that period), we make sure we take a stretch (and potty) break near I95 whether we're in the truck or the car. Take your time - the destination is so worth it!

Martha

ncc1701e

Hello All:My family and I are embarking on our first trip to Ocean Lakes SC in a couple of days and as is usual, I plan the route very carefully. I've spoken with a couple of people re: the trip and their reactions range from "that's a tough pull" to "you'll be fine." What has me concerned is the pull through the mountains - I'm a novice at towing our fifth wheel (I've towed it about five times this far) so I need to mentally prepare for any "white knuckle" moments that may occur during the pull. We've got a rather large unit (Road Warrior 425) but I've just replaced my TV with a 2015 GMC 3500 CC DRW so it should pull it with relative ease. My route takes me from I-40 to I-74, I-26 to I-20 then a short hop onto I-95 then south on 76 into Ocean Lakes. Thanks in advice for your thoughts/advice. Richie
I make this pull every year (for the last 4) in the fall and back in the spring. I40 to I26 to I20 to I95. Take I95 north. Not counting the exit at I95 where you get on go to the third exit (10miles) and take that exit to 76/301 that turns into 501. There is a nice large Pilot truck stop at the I95 exit also should you want it. Where I break off is before Conway as we go just north of Myrtle Beach to Longs, SC. Follow the other advice through Conway to 544 and Ocean Lakes.As for the mountains, this is really a fairly easy route. There is really only one hill and it is real well marked that you will need to just watch your speed a little. Usually, just drop it down to 4th gear and let the tranny hold it at around 55 for the 3 miles of the grade. You should be fine. Sometimes the traffic at Columbia where you transition from I26 to I20 can get a little congested as it is an old style clover leaf and fairly tight. Pretty much the only hang up. Tom

Bones

We just went to Ocean lakes. Took 95 south to 38 to 501 then finally to 544. Total drive time from 95 was 1.5 hours. The only part that was congested for us was going through town on 501 I think that is Conway. 544 drops you right into ocean lakes. We picked up fuel at the 95 exit Pilot truck stop. How long is the road warrior? I would definitely plan on arriving during the daylight hours. Makes things easier.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We live in the Knoxville area and the best way to go is the way ncc1701e routes you. We travel that way all the time going to MB and NMB. The road thru the mountains aren't real hilly but curvy. Trucks are supposed to stay in the right lane but... the only 2 grades you will have is out of Waynesville and past Hendersonville.