Pullrite capture plate installation on a 3850 Cyclone

OtterMN

I recently purchased a Cyclone 3850 in Texas (I'm from MN) I have a Pullrite 20K slider on my Dodge 3500 crew cab. The dealer sold me a multi-fit capture plate #3365 with the hitch. The only instructions that came with it show how to shim it to match the king pin box, and install it onto the king pin using a single set screw... Is it only this one set screw that holds it on the king pin? Also, the previous owner says he is including a king pin stabilizer... will this have any effect on the capture plate installation? This is my first fifth wheel trailer, and I want to make sure that I have my bases covered before I drive 900 miles and attempt to pick up my new Cyclone. Thanks!

http://www.pullrite.com/pdfs/Multi_QCCP.pdf

danemayer

Hi OtterMN,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

I'm sure you'll get some specific answers shortly.

porthole

Retired
Is your 3500 crew cab a short bed? Long beds don't need the slider. If a long bed, why did the dealer sell you that hitch?
It is a very good hitch, just unnecessary cost and weight if not needed.

That said, it is as simple as it looks. The hitch and the pin box do all of the heavy work. That plate is what allows the hitch head to rotate as you turn and is not under any real load.

Since the plate is universal, the shims allow you to make it snug on your pin box. Once the appropriate number of shims are installed the lock screw and nut are set into the pin. Set the shims, clamp or have someone hold the plate up and tighten up the set screw.

On mine I did eventually through bolt the plate to the hitch, but it really wasn't necessary.

The plate will not interfere with your king pin stabilizer or any pin box 5th wheel lock.

You should ask the previous owner what kind of pin box he has. If by any chance he has a MOR/ryde pin box, that plate may not work. MOR/ryde has a specific plate made to use with their pin box.

The MOR/ryde box/plate combo also uses nylon blocks to limit the pin box left to right movement.

OtterMN

Sorry, it is a short box... The previous owner told me that the there has been nothing additional installed onto the hitch. Thanks for the reply!

GOTTOYS

Whatever you do, don't let anyone near it with a welder!..I have one of Portholes' former capture plates. He drilled a small hole in inside the wedge and put a small machine screw through it into the plate on the pin box. Great idea as you will find the set screw doesn't always hold it in place and it will fall off at times. All the machine screw does is keep it from falling off when unhitched...Don