Question About Exhaust Temperatures.

Lndeatr

So I finally installed a TS-Performance 6 position chip and a set of Auto-Meter guages (Boost, EGT, Trans Temp). What a difference. put it on +75 hp empty and romped on it. About tore my head off. Makes a big difference in fuel mileage also. Even when pulling my 9 foot utility trailer loaded with garbage, still maintained 19 to 21 mpg. Going to drag the 5th wheel up the Sierras this weekend to see what difference I have under load. My question is how hot is redline for my truck? 2003 F350 with a 7.3 and auto trans. Everything else is stock.

brianharrison

Re: Quaestion About Exhaust Temperatures.

Not more than 1250F in the manifold.

The tranny is the weak link in your setup, IMHO.

I would keep the + horsepower on the low setting while pulling your cyclone.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Lndeatr

That's what I have been hearing. Had the tranny serviced and it still shifts great. I am planning on having to rebuild or replace it at some point as I don't want to give this truck up. It is the last year of the 7.3 and has proven itself to be bullit proof.

Rrloren

Not more than 1250F in the manifold.

The tranny is the weak link in your setup, IMHO.

I would keep the + horsepower on the low setting while pulling your cyclone.

Hope this helps,

Brian
I agree, on my previous truck I burned up the tranny pulling too fast and hard up mountains. On current truck I found that the #3 setting will cause the tranny to slip at high torque levels. You'll know, feels kinda like running over speed bumps. I keep mine on level 2 and watch temps and go easy. On mine, EGT's run cooler with the tuner probably cause it advances the timing.

Lndeatr

Looks like my thread should have been "Questions about spell check..."

wdk450

So I finally installed a TS-Performance 6 position chip and a set of Auto-Meter guages (Boost, EGT, Trans Temp). What a difference. put it on +75 hp empty and romped on it. About tore my head off. Makes a big difference in fuel mileage also. Even when pulling my 9 foot utility trailer loaded with garbage, still maintained 19 to 21 mpg. Going to drag the 5th wheel up the Sierras this weekend to see what difference I have under load. My question is how hot is redline for my truck? 2003 F350 with a 7.3 and auto trans. Everything else is stock.

Did you read the "Items that modify . . . " white fine print warning at the bottom of the webpage? http://www.tsperformance.com/switchable_chips.html
That is to say that most ALL performance enhancing chips are ILLEGAL for on-road use in California, under C.A.R.B. rulings. If use of these chips is detected at biannual diesel smog checks (many of the engine computers hold such changes in memory), you can fail your smog test and not be able to re-license your truck.

Last edited:

wildwolfproducts

That's what I have been hearing. Had the tranny serviced and it still shifts great. I am planning on having to rebuild or replace it at some point as I don't want to give this truck up. It is the last year of the 7.3 and has proven itself to be bullit proof.

You have the best motor of that time. Buddy of mine has 2 of them. His 2000 has 325,000 miles he had to get the trans rebuilt back in the spring Its a 3/4 ton had rough life pulling his heavy loads. Other is 2003 Dully, right at 300,000 and not a thing other then the sensor at the Flywheel. So I would be like you rebuild when needed and run it.
Pete

MCTalley

We have a 2002 with the same motor, different tuner. While our tranny was still operating fine, we elected to do a preventive rebuild on it at Brian's Truck Shop in Arkansas (link in signature). Since you are west coast, I recommend John Woods Automotive, who can also build a pretty bulletproof 4R100 trans. You'll pay a bit more than having a rebuilt HD trans from Ford put in, but it will pay dividends down the road if you are planning on keeping your truck for a while.

Per what tune you pull in, I use a pretty mild 20HP tune for towing (modified shift strategy) and drive with my EGT gauge. When pulling long grades, I'll just let up when I get in the 1200 range and feather the throttle and/or downshift to maintain speed as much as I can while keeping temps in check. So far, I haven't had a long, steep grade I had to drop under about 45-48 mph on (in 2nd gear).

wildwolfproducts

How did it do with the camper behind it?
Pete

marvmarcy

FWIW: The temp sensor is on the left side and the hottest area is the right front. You can do damage before the guage warns you. That engine is capable of way more power than most people think, and even a "bullet proof" tranny build may not take it long. If you don't try to be the first one up the hill or away from the traffic light, you may not have problems for awhile.

Lndeatr

How did it do with the camper behind it?
Pete

Well we decided to cancel the Sierra trip as most of the family was sick and the mountains were smoked out from the Yosemite fire. Turns out it was probably a good thing. Pulled the Cyclone about 5 miles to and from (10 miles total) the county fairgrounds for a Relay For Life event this last weekend. The day after the tranny took a dump. No forward gears unless you let it idle. When it went out I had to idle home about 4 miles. Luckily I was on flat ground. It had 200,000 hard miles on it so I can't complain. Just glad it didn't happen on a long trip.

Decided to spend the extra dough and fix it right. John Wood is building me a tranny and will be shipping it to me early next week. Not cheap but all my research say to go to him and I will be glad I did. I am also planning on installing a MBRP 4" exhaust and a Ford AIS air iintake kit unless you guys have any other suggestions.

CAN-DO

John also built my tranny (2000 Ford F350 - 284K miles) I have about 60k on the tranny now. No problems at all. You will be glad you bought from John.

CAN-DO