Question About Progressive EMS Protector

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have the 50 amp pigtail and have only one complaint. I didn't think about the fact that, at times we are forced to go with 30amp service, when no 50 is available.
This renders it useless and we have to go without any protection.
It would be nice if they made a 30/50 amp swithchable version of the pigtail. At the cost of these babies, I don't want to have to shell out for a 30 amp model, as well.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I have the 50 amp pigtail and have only one complaint. I didn't think about the fact that, at times we are forced to go with 30amp service, when no 50 is available.
This renders it useless and we have to go without any protection.
It would be nice if they made a 30/50 amp swithchable version of the pigtail. At the cost of these babies, I don't want to have to shell out for a 30 amp model, as well.

Plug you 30/50 adapter into the park pedestal. Plug the 50A EMS into the adapter. Plug you 50A power cord into the EMS.

TandT

Plug you 30/50 adapter into the park pedestal. Plug the 50A EMS into the adapter. Plug you 50A power cord into the EMS.

I can do that, but since it is not 50 amps, isn't it going to show low voltage? (never tried it) Trace

TandT

No. it will work perfectly.

Okay thanks. I assumed (and we know what that does) that it wouldn't like it if there wasn't 50 amps coming in. Didn't know it would work on 30. I will try it next time the need arises. Thanks again, Trace

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I did not really want to start a new thread since my question falls info this thread name. I have the Progressive EMS 50 Hardwired unit installed. My question is every time I move back to my homestead location my unit kicks out on a E-2 (Open Ground). When I travel to other locations it seems to work fine. Is it my power supply here, or could it be my coach that has the problem. I don't think it is my coach but how do I element my coach as having a issue? The park owners answer when I told him was "did I hit a bump" which is absurd!

2psnapod2

Do you use a different cord at home? If so that is probably your problem.

Nope, we live full time but not yet really able to travel much (that 4 letter word you know- WORK), so we use exactly the same hook up system everywhere we go.

jnbhobe

Have them check the pedastal for an open ground, the EMS usually isn't wrong and since it worked right at other camps. Its the campgrounds problem.

2psnapod2

The owner checked the volts between various leads but I am not really into Electricity to much. How do you troubleshoot for an open ground?

jnbhobe

You would have to pull the box apart to see if there is a ground wire there. It could be wired with L1 and L2 and a common. A meter should show 110V at L1 to common or to ground and the same for L2.

2psnapod2

You would have to pull the box apart to see if there is a ground wire there. It could be wired with L1 and L2 and a common. A meter should show 110V at L1 to common or to ground and the same for L2.

That is what his meter showed. Just not really sure what else to check.

MICKEY

Past Florida Chapter Leader
Michael;
You should get 115-120 v between any hot leg(red or black) and neutral. Also the same on ground. Another problem is if you can read voltage between neutral and ground. Should only be .5 voltsw or so. If you get a reading of more than about 2 volts you could have a problem with neutral nbot being bonded to ground. This can cause you to get electricuted if touching coach while standing on ground with say bare feet. I overrode my EMS to get power to the coach after it was trying to protect me, and I found 60 volts of power between the neutral and ground. As soon as I bonded the neutral to ground on the generator it worked just fine. This can also happen if the electrician hasn't installed the bonding screw in the box, or wire may be broken, or I have had the service entrance cable comming to the house (the heavy aluminum wire) loose it's ground because the set screw backed out due to heat. The power company came found that and corrected it and then told me how dangerous it was. This problem is why they outlawed aluminum wire in homes but can still use it in service entrance positions. Usually it causes a fire when set screw back off due to arcing.
By the way thanks to you and Kelly for input on my presentation.