Questions about replacing king size bed w queen

patrick1945

When we took delivery 2 months ago of a 2009 3055 the FW had a king size bed. The trailer was on the dealer lot and they agreed to cut down the top of the pedestal and we could get a credit for the king and we would buy a new queen mattress.

We did that and finished out our winter in Florida.

But now I am preparing to remove the top of the platform and downsize the box to a queen - then replace the top. I am not with the BIGHORN so some of the questions might be more understandable.

1. has anyone done this?
2. there are electric plug ins on both sides. Are there issues with doing this?
3. the sides of the factorys MDF are no longer smooth - I would like to replace this with an equal sized plywood. Are there any issues with doing this?
4. as I think about it I do not know if the carpet continues in far enough to reach the would-be new queen sized base. Does anyone know?

Thanks for your information. I will be home in a few days and will start the project then.

jpmorgan37

You can do a search on the forum and find some that have done it. One that I remember was done by Christianson about two years ago.

John

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Patrick, the first thing I would do is measure the pedestal to determine if it needs to be downsized at all. The standard queen is 60" wide by 80" long. If your pedestal is 60" or less, leave it as is. Even if it's an inch or two wider, I would leave it as is. Replacing the OSB with plywood is not an issue. You could even cover it with a vinyl material for a nicer appearance.