Questions about tow vehicle

I am looking at buying a 2011 Big Country 3250TS and curently own a 2008 GMC 2500HD with the 6.6L Diesel. My research so leads me to believe that this unit will be well within the king pin weight as well as the CGVWR for this truck. I realize that the max trailer weight rating for this truck is 13000lbs but the dry weight of this trailer is 10800lbs with a GVWR of 14000lbs. I just can't imagine loading more than 2200lbs worth of additional weight to the fifth wheel.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards to all,

Rick

Northern Virginia
I have the same truck and tow a Landmark. I did install Firestone Ride Rite air bags. It has a nice ride and with the factory brake controller properly set, I stop fine.

Best of luck with your BC,

John

PUG

Pug
Rick; I pulled a 3950 (18k) for two years with an 02 Duramax. I had the engine pumped to 300. How does that compare with your engine? Power wise it pulled pretty good but wasn't a runaway for power. I had full guages on it to keep from burning it down. Brake wise it did pretty good but you still had to be cautious on the hills. I had Firestone air bags with an inside compressor control and guage. It took the squate out of it and was needed.

I bought an 09 Ram 1 ton dually this last fall. It runs 350 hp and has a jake for downhills. The added power, stability from the duallies, and the jake are a great package. I have the Mega cab short box and love this truck. The chevy was fine but this new on is great.

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
I have a similar GMC 2500 and tow a Bighorn 3055. It does fine. One thing I have learned regarding truck weight rating is this. The engineers set the weight rating for each axle based on frame, suspension, wheels, tires, ect. The gross towing weight for the truck is not the sum of the two axles because the marketing department sets that value. It is usually 80-90 % of the sum of the two axles. Why? Well in some states you pay for you license based on the gross weight you truck can tow so they set that value lower than what it should be thinking more folks will buy the truck. Some groups in the RV industry are trying to get this changed but it will probably take several more years.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I have the same truck and tow a Landmark. I did install Firestone Ride Rite air bags. It has a nice ride and with the factory brake controller properly set, I stop fine.

Best of luck with your BC,

John
What is the pin weight of your Landmark/ payload of the truck? My F-250 is maxed out with my Ultra-lite Sundance.
If it's too much I'll take one of the German Shepards off your hands.

RollingHome

Rick, I pulled more weight then yours with a 8.1 L gas engine 2500HD for a very short time. Performance and braking was fine... But, I got rid of it and bought a 3500HD. The main reason was the law here in the USA. The police go by gross not empty weight. If your rig CAN exceed your TV capacity, you can be ticketed and the amount/penalty can be severe. I may not agree with it, but that's the way it is. Rather then worrying and watching my rear view mirror, I eliminated the problem and up-sized. However, I don't know what they do in Canada for these type scenarios.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
The main reason was the law here in the USA. The police go by gross not empty weight. If your rig CAN exceed your TV capacity, you can be ticketed and the amount/penalty can be severe.

I know of no one that has been ticketed simply because their stickers say they CAN break the law only if they DO break the law. Are things different in PA? Not trying to be a "smarty pants" just don't understand this logic!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
We pull an 09 3250 with an 09 2500hd GMC. Absolutley no problems with power or braking. Even carrying the weight is no problem on good roads.
I did just order a set of Timbrens to help when hitting dips in the road. It does get a little like a rocking horse on long bridges. I am hoping they will give the truck just enough help to control it.
If you are interested here are some real world weights on the 3250 and the GMC.

Real world weights

SilverRhino

I am looking at buying a 2011 Big Country 3250TS and currently own a 2008 GMC 2500HD with the 6.6L Diesel. My research so leads me to believe that this unit will be well within the king pin weight as well as the CGVWR for this truck. I realize that the max trailer weight rating for this truck is 13000lbs but the dry weight of this trailer is 10800lbs with a GVWR of 14000lbs. I just can't imagine loading more than 2200lbs worth of additional weight to the fifth wheel.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards to all,

Rick

When you do finally get your trailer, I would suggest you follow Larry's lead and go to the scales. Everyone always seems to "underestimate" how much cargo we end up putting in the trailer and truck. This will also tell you if you are "heavy" on one axle or the other....allowing you to re-distribute some gear to equalize the load.

Of course the heaviest piece of "cargo" you can load is water....if you travel wet it will add up very quickly. With the large storage areas we have at the front of our trailers it is also very easy to get the pin weight to climb.

Just my observations.....best to check and be sure as opposed to "thinking" and being sorry.

Travel Safe!

RollingHome

SJH, You are not being a "smarty pants", this is one of those laws where selective enfforcement can be used and sometimes is. About 10 years ago in PA there was a campaign to 'nail over weight trucks'. The police primarily targetted contractors overloading 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks. As I recall there were some stiff penalties given out. I also used to drive by a police weigh station everyday on my way to work. Every once in a while I would see 5th wheels and even TT's in the line. I don't know if they were told to weigh or they thought they needed to weigh and just voluntarily got in line. I also believe this law is on the books in most states. I know of one person getting nailed for pulling a flatbed trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. The loaded trailer as pulled was not over the gross for the PU. I also know the driver had a smart mouth and may have been the cause of his own grief. Honestly, like you, I don't know of one person who has been ticketed for "able to exceed gross". I also do not know of any person being fined for litering or my favorite. In almost all, if not all states in the USA it is against the law to tow (including semi trailers) over 55 mph, yeah right. How about triple towing, it's illegal in most states ? All these laws are there for selective enforcement, like "no alcohol" in state & federal parks. However, over weight fines can be stiff and I just didn't want to chance it so I got legal. I do believe in the mid west where population is down and there's not quite the need for revenue as in left/right coast land the police may be more leniant. Then again ya can just call me a big fat chicken :)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
In 28 years of Law Enforcement I never wrote a citation for overweight. I saw some but did not have the scales to weigh. Regular patrol cars cannot weigh and as a rule regular Highway Patrol does not carry scales. Only the truck enforcement and weght cars have them. Still, being legal is your best insurance.

Northern Virginia
What is the pin weight of your Landmark/ payload of the truck? My F-250 is maxed out with my Ultra-lite Sundance.
If it's too much I'll take one of the German Shepards off your hands.

I have never weighed. I can only give my "seat of the pants" feel pulling our Landmark with an 08 2500 DA. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say we are around 3000 pin and 14500 loaded. It pulls and stops well.

Speaking of too much, were are about to hit the road for Memorial weekend with a teenage daughter, a 2 year old and a 4 year old and two 15 week old GSD puppies. Heaven help us!

John

Last edited:

jayc

Legendary Member
Like Jim, I put in many years in law enforcement and never-not once-did I see an RVer stopped for a weight check. The commercial enforcement officers only check commercial vehicles, not Rvers who are trying to get away and relax.