Rack, Carrier for rear of Bighorn

Philp55

Does anyone have information on a rack or motorcycle carrier for a bighorn 3100? in a perfect world i would like to carry my BMW R1200GSA.

mlpeloquin

The structure is not built to support any weight on the back end. That is why Heartland offered 1.5" hitch for a bike carrier. They failed and a lot of people found their bikes and racks ground into the pavement. Anything else will void the warranty. Lippert frame is not an I-Beam in the rear, but a C channel. This did not stop some from bolting or welding on 2" hitches and proper bile carriers. But carrying two bicycles is a lot different than a motorcycle. It would most likely put you well over your GAWR for your fifth wheel.

Oregon_Camper

I doubt warranty issues on the frame are any concern for you, as your rig is a 2008. I think the warranty is only 1 year.

I had a custom hitch built and installed by a local steel fabrication location. I had it built with 2 inserts to offset any movement from side to side and bounce. I've had family member follow me for a 5 hour trip and they said the bike hardly moved at all. I carry a Yamaha WR450 on this rack, which only adds 250lbs to the trailer, so well within weight limits.

2015-08-10 11.45.41.jpg 2015-08-10 11.43.36.jpg 2015-08-10 11.37.55.jpg 2016-06-19 11.18.07.jpg2016-06-19 11.18.07.jpg

Bones

I doubt warranty issues on the frame are any concern for you, as your rig is a 2008. I think the warranty is only 1 year.

I had a custom hitch built and installed by a local steel fabrication location. I had it built with 2 inserts to offset any movement from side to side and bounce. I've had family member follow me for a 5 hour trip and they said the bike hardly moved at all. I carry a Yamaha WR450 on this rack, which only adds 250lbs to the trailer, so well within weight limits.

View attachment 47547 View attachment 47548 View attachment 47549 View attachment 47550View attachment 47550

Nice set up

Philp55

Ive been directed to a company, Torquelift in Kent WA. They do more than just slap a hitch on. Sounds like a sub frame upgrade. I will have to go by there and see if the project is prohibitive.

jnbhobe

I have carried a Honda 3K and fire wood on my rack for 8 years with no problems

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

Putting anything more than bicycle s will damage the frame.

Can you provide documents that prove this claim of damage to the frame? Granted we've heard the frame is no longer under warranty if you do a hitch like mine, but the warranty is only 1 year, so this isn't really a factor (IMHO).

danemayer

Can you provide documents that prove this claim of damage to the frame? Granted we've heard the frame is no longer under warranty if you do a hitch like mine, but the warranty is only 1 year, so this isn't really a factor (IMHO).

Once out of warranty, you're usually on your own if your modification causes a problem. But suppose you find a problem not caused by your modification. Sometimes Lippert or Heartland will grant an accommodation and repair the problem at no charge. Frame flex is an example of that.

But if you have modified things, even if the mod didn't cause the problem, you're much less likely to get an accommodation. No one has to prove anything. They simply decline to help. And you'll simply be told that you're out of warranty.

Just know that Lippert is very squirrelly about hanging stuff on the back of the frame.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I need to add my 2¢.
First let me say that I have had a rack on the back of my camper since it was new. It is attached by two receivers each welded to the I-beam flange.
Two years after warranty had expired I noticed two cracks on the web of the I-beam above the axles.
I called Lippert, explained what I saw, took some pictures of the trailer and sent them to the rep I was dealing with.
I had the cracks repaired locally along with an alignment and re-enforcement of the axle hangers.
Expecting nothing, hoping for something, per their request I emailed a copy of the invoice.
To my surprise I received a call stating that Lippert would cover the cost of the entire repair and alignment.
So my point is that I would not automatically assume the warranty would be voided.
Oh, and the cost of the repair was over $700.

Peace
Dave

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Oregon_Camper - now that's impressive what you have done with the rear hitch assembly. Thanks for sharing.

Oregon_Camper

Once out of warranty, you're usually on your own if your modification causes a problem. But suppose you find a problem not caused by your modification. Sometimes Lippert or Heartland will grant an accommodation and repair the problem at no charge. Frame flex is an example of that.

But if you have modified things, even if the mod didn't cause the problem, you're much less likely to get an accommodation. No one has to prove anything. They simply decline to help. And you'll simply be told that you're out of warranty.

Just know that Lippert is very squirrelly about hanging stuff on the back of the frame.

Dan...I fully understand and accept the fact I lost 6 months of warranty on my frame. My question was where is the proof this causes damage?

danemayer

Dan...I fully understand and accept the fact I lost 6 months of warranty on my frame. My question was where is the proof this causes damage?

There's no proof I've ever seen. If you're hanging 2 bikes in back of the trailer, you'll probably be fine. But my non-engineering opinion is that the more weight and bounce and stress you put on the back of the frame, the more exposed you are to creating a problem (yes, you can call me Captain Obvious).

Some people have in the past expressed the idea that they're protected because the frame manufacturer would have to prove the hitch caused the frame problem before they could deny a warranty claim. But the idea that there is a burden of proof on the manufacturer in order to deny warranty may be wishful thinking. From the searches I've done on Magnuson-Moss, I find nothing to that effect. Rather, it appears there is a pretty significant burden of proof on the consumer if you want to challenge a manufacturer's denial of warranty.

And after warranty, if you're looking for a manufacturer to "stand behind their product" you surely wouldn't want them noticing your modification, because it gives them a good excuse to remind you you're out of warranty.

Cookie, I'm guessing you didn't volunteer info about your hitch.

I'm not trying to scare anyone away from installing a 2" receiver hitch. But if you're planning on putting a generator, or motorcycle, or boat or car behind your trailer, well that might be a different story.

carl.swoyer

I was not referring to any warranty claims. I'm suggesting that people consider the environment surrounding adding additional stress to the chassis. The manufacturer and Lippert have designed and manufactured frame/ chassis to support everything on top. Once you step outside of that you have compromised the original chassis design. Good luck

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

Both Lipert and Heartland have worked on my rig in their shops both in and out of warranty. They actually told me how good it was done.

Gaffer

I would go with an Idaho tote if that is legal in your home state. It is not in Oregon. The other option is a front receiver on the TV.