raising a 5th wheel - newbie

scottknight1

A trucker just dropped off my 5th wheel..... 35' big horn. I asked if I could put blocks under it to raise it. He said it won't matter that the auto leveling doesn't care how high the tires are off the ground. it just starts where you touched down the stabilizers on the ground as a starting point.

I need to raise the rig 3-4" if possible to put a 300-gallon holding tank under it. Can I raise the rig? I will get another truck from a friend with a 5th wheel hitch and some anderson blocks if this is possible. This is our first RV.... thx in advance for any tips!!!!

Bogie

I wouldn't recommend using Anderson blocks to raise your Big Horn 3-4 feet. At that height, you will need much more substantial foundation. Probably would also need a professional with the right equipment to raise it that high to put it on the foundation also.

Woops....on edit I see that you want to raise 3-4 inches not feet. That's what I get for looking at the forum on my phone. Only raising 3-4 inches shouldn't be a big issue.

Last edited:

taskswap

If it was me, I would get a few 4x4's and a sheet or two of 3/4 ply. Cut the 4x4's to 24" and screw 2x2 squares of plywood to the top of them to make pads. If you have four wheels and six jacks, you need 10 pads. That would be five 4x4's and a sheet and a half of plywood.

Put those under your wheels and leveling jacks. Each pad will raise the camper about 4" (4x4's aren't 4" but the plywood will make them almost that high). You can also do this under your wheels to raise the whole camper. You'll need one pad per jack or wheel but it will give you a very stable base.

Be VERY careful jacking a fifth wheel that isn't attached to a tow vehicle. The front landing gear is an integral part of keeping it from rolling and if you take weight off it, it could be dangerous. Do one side at a time and make sure the other side is well chocked and stable.

taskswap

I just noticed your comment about the friend with a truck. This is much safer to do with the trailer hitched up FYI. You can drive the wheels right onto the pads, chock them, then level from there. No jacking.

scottknight1

Thx for the tips. I would get a friend with a 5th wheel hitch to roll the rig back 5’ and then forward 5’ over the Anderson levelers or wood ramps I would make

Attachments

• 05432E9F-21E0-4E6E-A56E-BD1B78A90286.jpeg
    05432E9F-21E0-4E6E-A56E-BD1B78A90286.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12

taskswap

Not if you want to "raise" it. As your other friend pointed out, the levelers just level. They find the first point of contact and level from there. If you want to be higher than that you need your wheels lifted before you start leveling.

david-steph2018

A trucker just dropped off my 5th wheel..... 35' big horn. I asked if I could put blocks under it to raise it. He said it won't matter that the auto leveling doesn't care how high the tires are off the ground. it just starts where you touched down the stabilizers on the ground as a starting point.

I need to raise the rig 3-4" if possible to put a 300-gallon holding tank under it. Can I raise the rig? I will get another truck from a friend with a 5th wheel hitch and some anderson blocks if this is possible. This is our first RV.... thx in advance for any tips!!!!
Scott, instead of lifting the rig, consider digging out the 3-5". After digging out, move the 5th wheel in using some ramps you could make out of 2x10's. May be easier.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Scott, instead of lifting the rig, consider digging out the 3-5". After digging out, move the 5th wheel in using some ramps you could make out of 2x10's. May be easier.

This sounds like the better idea. Dig a shallow pit so the top of the tank is below the axles, then pull the trailer over it. Bonus is you won’t have to fiddle around jacking/blocking the trailer if you need to move it or access the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Routemaster

What about this then, look for large wooden blocks maybe, and or make some cribbing up using 4x2x12ins studs screwed together get a stack for under the frame jacking up each corner a bit at a time until you achieve the height, tucking the odd 4x2, if necessary. (Could use the 6point to help?) I have done this on my last 5er and took out springs and axles, I felt this was quite safe. I guess one could run the 6point down for backup? What do you think?
Den.

NYSUPstater

Are you planning on keeping the RV here in 1 place for a very long time? If so, I'd go w/ the suggestion of a mobile home company to come and lift it off the ground and put cement blocks or as some said make/place wood under the frame.