Raising trailer to level up with truck.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm just throwing this out there as a possibility. What about having new springs made with more arch to them. This would serve at least 2 purposes. Raise the trailer as needed and get good springs under the trailer. It would probably be a good idea to gusset the spring mounts at the same time. This is just a thought.

branson4020

Icantre Member
How about cutting off the spring hangers, welding the block to the frame, and then welding new hangers to the block? You could reposition the shock mounts at the same time.

rjmiv

I am thinking of getting the same combination - 2011 F350 and a BH 3055 - I note that you are not 100% level. Is that a problem?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I am thinking of getting the same combination - 2011 F350 and a BH 3055 - I note that you are not 100% level. Is that a problem?
There are not many of us that pull perfictly 100% level on out truck and 5er. My RV and truck is just over one inch out of level. I few inches off should not cause any issues but some just don't care what their rigs look like or how they pull.

caissiel

Thereis hardly any difference between the F350 SRW and the F250. They alow more loading on the F350 because of the higher blocks on the springs, therefore allowing the axle to align better with a greater load. If you let the load drop the rear of the truck your trailer will mostly ride level and have greater clearance at the rear of the box from the trailer then up front. I let my rear drop and when unhooked the trailer is level, so It could only be about 1" difference from mine.

Westwind

I have a 2012 3070RL and a 2008 4x4 Extended Cab Shortbed, I also have a Trailsaver BD3. When I installed the hitch it was on the lowest setting and the truck and trailer were perfectly level, but I only had 4-5 inches between the trailer and truck bedrails, so I raised the hitch up to the next setting which was 1 1/2 inches higher that gave me 6-7 between the truck bedrails and trailer. I feel I really needed that 6-7 inches the 4-5 was tooo close for comfort. Now when hitch up and I eye ball the front to back level the ball is up about 1 and 1/2 lines. I don't think it will make a difference but I'm going to be watching everything on my first trip to Florida and back especially the tires. Trailer towed home from the dealer real well ( 4 1/2 hours 240+ Miles ) but that was prior to the hitch adjustment.

lwmcguir

How about cutting off the spring hangers, welding the block to the frame, and then welding new hangers to the block? You could reposition the shock mounts at the same time.

We have done this a couple of times. Used heavy square tubing that ran about 10 inches past the hangers on each end. (full length of front and rear hanger) Worked very well.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
This an old thread...but I noticed that not one person mentioned the fact that the trailer ROOF will be higher. Most BH's are at least over 13' high. Just food for thought.

Urban350

With a 4" lift my Cyclone ended up being 12'4" high. Also I used steel between the spring hangers and frame.

Urban350

I put a 4" piece of steel inbetween and ended up with 12'4". The reason I know this is because in Alberta, Canada max. trailer height is 12'6" and yes I measured it. I just looked at the specs. online and yes it does say 12'11" so now I will have to measure it on the weekend again. Boy I will look silly if I am wrong.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I put a 4" piece of steel inbetween and ended up with 12'4". The reason I know this is because in Alberta, Canada max. trailer height is 12'6" and yes I measured it. I just looked at the specs. online and yes it does say 12'11" so now I will have to measure it on the weekend again. Boy I will look silly if I am wrong.

What's a foot between friends? I bet you are fine @ 12' 4", Max trailer height should be 13'-6". I hope Heartland gets the word that many newer 4x4 trucks need the pin heights to be taller so we don't have to raise our RV's for bed clearance!

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Remember to check for clearance at the top if you have a storage cover/building BEFORE raising your trailer. Then you might have to raise the building too! OOPS!

Westwind

I have a 2008 GMC Sierra Xtra Cab shortbed D/A 4 x 4 and a Heartland 3070RL the low profile second AC on the bedroom. I hitched up drove the truck & trailer to a parking lot down the street. I then measured it and it was 12' 8" with 6-7 inches between the bedrails and trailer. The truck was level but the trailer is a little Hi in the front. My bubble leveling gauge for front to back was up one line and 1/2. I don't feel that's enought to get concerned about.

jimtoo

No,, you won't look silly,,, but here in Texas we measure to the hard ground... I bet you just measured to the top of the SNOW. :)

Don't forget,,, you need to measure from the top of the Air Cond...you do have an A/C?

Jim M

Urban350

Ah!! Hard ground, I thought that was what the frozen ground was for. Also, do I have an old regulation book for Alberta it should be 4.0M or 13'2". I think I am just having a bad day.