Ram Diesel - Assistance Please

Clownfish

Hi,

We have a 2013 Elkridge 37 Ultimate and are looking to move up to a Ram 3500 Diesel. Most we look at on the lot are 3.73 rear axle ratio and there is an option, if we order, for the 4.10 rear axle ratio. Additionally, the 6.7L Diesel is with a 6 speed auto trans. There is an optional Aisin HD Transmission available. We really want to just purchase off the lot so we do not have to wait.

We are not looking for the bells and whistles, just the Tradesman (ST) 3500 4X4 Crew long bed. (Is 4x2 ok or 4x4 better?)

What are everyone's thoughts? Anyone using the 2013 Ram 3500 Tradesman (ST) 3500 4X4 Crew Long Bed with the diesel engine, 6 speed trans, and 3.72 rear axle ratio? Any issues, problems, thoughts, pros, cons?

Thanks

Moe3754

I just purchased a 2013 Ram 3500 Laramie with the 3.43 rear end and I pull a 40 foot Big Horn, I traded in a 2010 Laramie with DRW's that was a 3.73 and it was way more than I need. With the 3.43 I get the pulling power that I need and the fuel mileage also. If you are new to Ram I would say that you should do research before you buy because unless you are pulling 30000 pounds you do not need a 4.10 and the 3.73 is for more than 20000 pounds. My Big Horn is around 14000 and my new Ram will do just fine and it has single rear wheel which saves me over $2000.00 on the sticker price. My Ram is a 2013 Laramie 3500 4X4 Crew Long Bed with the Cummins Turbo Diesel and the 6 Speed Auto Trans and the 3.43 rear end. Also I called Ram and verified all information with them before I purchased my new truck on the 7th of this month.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Clownfish, I have a 2010 Dodge 3500 and love it! I have the 3.73 rear axle ratio and that is what I wanted. You get more capacity with the 4.10 but you'll get a bit lower fuel mileage, not sure how much difference it will make. I get 10.5-over 11 MPG pulling my Landmark, 18-19 bobtail. I believe that the Aisin tranny is only available with the HO engine, which might be a good option if you can get it. The rumor is that the Aisin is made by Allison but I have no verification of that. I also specified for the 4X2. I had 4wd on my last truck and used it twice in the 7 years I had the truck, so it's not a necessity for me. YMMV

Good luck in your choice. The Ram is a towing machine.

vakthund

We have a 2011 3500 DRW, 4x4, 4.10 and the 6 speed auto for towing our Cyclone 3800. I'd get the 3.73 next time as most of the towing is on interstates and our mileage is not great with the 4.10. We do camp wilderness style a few times a year and the 4x4 had gotten us out of situations a couple if times. I don't want to be without it.

---
One day I'll put something clever in here.

GOTTOYS

I have a 2010 Ram. Mine has a 3:73 ratio rear end. It has the 6 spd 68RFE Transmission which is a lighter duty unit compared to the Aisin. The Aisin transmission has been used in the cab and chassis versions of the Ram for several years. It is not made by Allison nor are any other transmissions that don't have the Allison name. They are all good units and any of the new breed of 6 speed transmissions are more than adequate within their limits. With the 3:73 gears mine will shift into 6th gear at about 62 mph when in the haul tow mode. I can get an upshift into 6th a little sooner if I switch the haul tow mode off for a moment. If I had the 4:10 rear axle it would upshift a little sooner, that's the only difference I would see. In 70,000 miles I have had one rear pinion seal replace under warranty...That's it. Most comfortable seats of any vehicle I've owned. Easy to service and work on.The only concern about a Dodge Ram is the very limited carrying capacity of the 2012 and older versions. This has supposedly been changed in the 2013s. I would buy another in a heartbeat and I used to HATE Chrysler products...Don

alex00

I currently own a 2005 Dodge 3500 drw. I was always a trade after a few years guy. I'm going on my tenth year with this truck. Outside of a minor issue with the turbo when the truck was new I've not had any problems.

I will be buying a 13 or 14 soon. I've never been brand loyal and always seek out what seems to be the best at the time. At this point all my vehicles are Chrysler products.

As far as 4x4 goes I've used it a handful of times. Have those times paid for the added cost? I think so. I'd rather finance a few more thousand and not worry about getting stuck. How much will you regret not having 4x4 when you're ever so barely stuck in the dark on a rainy night in the middle of nowhere with no cell service. If you can afford 4x4 I wouldn't intentionally leave it off the build.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
We have a new 2012 Ram 3500 Dually with 6 speed (68rfe) auto trans, 4x4, long bed, crew cab, 6.7 liter High Output with 3.73 rear end.
It is great! I would not get a 4.10 rear end just because of the mileage and the rare use (Up a very steep grade) also I think the torque went fromm 800 to 850 foot pounds from 2012 to 2013. Our trailer is right at 15,000 lbs with a pin weight near 3,000. I like the dually because of the payload... 4,500 lbs. With the elkridge, you likely don't need a dually, unless of course you get the itch to buy heavier down the road.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Invizatu;325931 With the elkridge said:
Aha! Yes it's better to plan for the "next" rig. And, a dually will still make towing the ElkRidge very easy and enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

gebills

Hi Clownfish: We started our RV activity out by buying a new 2010 2500 Dodge Cummins. This was followed by my wife and I changing our minds on what size RV we were going to settle with. We decided on the BH3455RL (pin weight of 2580) and headed back to the Dodge dealer to exchange the 2500 with 20K miles on it, for a 2011 3500 SRW with a 3.73. That little error cost us $10K out of pocket for the exchange. We bought the Big Horn 3455 and have just about all the pin weight we want based on payload weights of the truck. I'll question myself at times thinking that maybe we should have got the dually, but to be honest, after towing 12,000+ miles, I'm rather glad that we chose the SRW. It is easier to get around city streets with the single rear wheel. When it comes to tire replacement time (we currently have 28,000+ miles on the 3500) I'll probably upgrade the tires to a G-rating just to give me a little more wiggle room, although my weights are currently within the mfg's guidelines. Regarding the truck itself, I am nothing but pleased with the truck. It is a 4x4 Cummins 800 ft.lbs torque with a 3.73 differential, auto 6-speed 68RFE transmission. We opted for the 6'4" truck bed and am not using a slider hitch. When towing, I put on the compression brake button and the tow/haul button and put on the cruise control at 62 mph and the truck does everything but steer. It downshifts at proper times, or I can hold it in whatever gear I wish with the rocker switch manual control. In the early miles (prior to 15-20,000 miles, we were getting 9.5 to 10.3 mpg. Now with 25,000+ miles, we get 10.3 up to 11.2 mpg. Our total weight (truck and RV) is routinely 21,475 lbs. up to 22,500 scale weight depending on what is in the RV and how long we are going to be away from home. I personally see no need for a 4.10 gear. This thing pulls like a champion and has never missed a beat. Regarding the 4-wheel drive, yes, I've used it several times. It has come in handy in non-paved RV parks and state parks. After having made the choice to go with the 3500 Cummins, we've never looked back. Happy Trails, gebills

olcoon

I wouldn't have a truck without 4x4. Mine is an everyday driver & the 4x4 has come in handy several times. Of course I hunt & fish, and own some property in the country. Two years we work camped in a campground S. of Denver, CO. A lot of the campsites were on the side of a steep hill that were back in, the roads were also gravel. Most of the time people would have to stop mid hill to back into the site. Everyone without 4x4 would spin their tires a lot before they could get into the site.

emm4273610re

Hi Clownfish ~ Late to reply sorry but been busy. I have 3.54 rears in my 3500 Dodge, mine is also older (1999) and has 16" tires. Only run 2000 rpm at 70 mph. Fuel mileage empty is upper teens easily. I have a 4x4, it is my daily driver but have been in some campgrounds was glad I had it, otherwise could have ended differently. Dodge has has issues in the past with trans not holding up however I believe they have that taken care of. Nice trucks. Good Luck:cool:

happykraut

I always tell people that I didn't buy my Ram because it is a Dodge. I purchased it (my 3rd one) because it has a Cummins in it and they can not be beat. My latest is a 4x4 and I will never be without one again. It has saved me several times. With my 2 wheel drive I got stuck in a campground in Utah pulling, that was not fun.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
If you can i would wait for the 2014 Dodge 3500. They are totally redesigning the rear suspension and this otta be a fine riding pickup unloaded. They will be going to a single leaf with airbags. Like a semi. Along with the already late to the game front end improvement on the 3500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

MdMike

Mattpop, I really would have liked a new 3500 but could not swing the payment on a fixed income. Soooooo, I found a very clean 2012 3500 SRW 4x4 crew cab. It is in great shape with 20k miles. Installing the mounts for the Fifth Wheel next week. Got a few things to do (tint front door windows, get a trifold cover for the bed) but other then that it is road warrior ready!!

Hoser43

I looked long and hard for my 2003 Cummins with 6spd std. It has the best of all worlds-no pollution control and no worries about an underbuilt Dodge automatic trans. I can get in the mid to high 20mpg when MT and do 12 to 14 pulling our Landmark Shenandougha. If you are in the market for a new Ram and have a choice-go for the HD Aisin transmission- they are now the world's largest builder of transmissions (surpassed GM) The 68RFE is just the same trans as the old 48RFE with two more gears-no more torque capacity. The Aisin is heavy enough they don't have to defuel the engine to keep the Cummins from exceeding the torque capacity of the transmission. As to waiting for the 2015, I understand they are going away from the live front axle and joining in with others with IFS, I think it is a downgrade in a heavier tow vehicle. For those who might want to know, Aisin is majority owned by Toyota.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I looked long and hard for my 2003 Cummins with 6spd std. It has the best of all worlds-no pollution control and no worries about an underbuilt Dodge automatic trans. I can get in the mid to high 20mpg when MT and do 12 to 14 pulling our Landmark Shenandougha. If you are in the market for a new Ram and have a choice-go for the HD Aisin transmission- they are now the world's largest builder of transmissions (surpassed GM) The 68RFE is just the same trans as the old 48RFE with two more gears-no more torque capacity. The Aisin is heavy enough they don't have to defuel the engine to keep the Cummins from exceeding the torque capacity of the transmission. As to waiting for the 2015, I understand they are going away from the live front axle and joining in with others with IFS, I think it is a downgrade in a heavier tow vehicle. For those who might want to know, Aisin is majority owned by Toyota.

The NV5600 (not sure if they switched to the G56 in 03) that you have in your 03 is a good trans. But by no means is it stronger then a 48RE after the weak links have been addressed.

The 68RFE is nothing like a 48RE. It is a completely different design. In fact it is much more like a Alison 1000 then a 48RE. The Aisin is also very close in design to the 68RFE. There is 3 versions of the Aisin that Dodge uses. AS68RC, AS69RC, and now the AS66RC.

Don't believe for one moment that Dodge does not use any Torque Management to control power through any of there Auto's. There is alot of TM happening between Shifts that most people will never notice.

Its only a matter of time before Dodge completely phases out the manual transmission. As they will never install a manual that will handle 850ftlbs of torque. If they did that would be a monster of a ride and a towing monster.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Aisin is nothing new. Darn near every auto manufacturer uses their Transmission in some of their models. I think alot of people would be surprised at what they think is a GM or Ford transmission when it is actually a Aisin transmission.