Ramp Failure!

Grdsman

I noticed this issue is with the Cyclone. The Road Warrior is also built on the same platform. Has any Road Warrior owners seen this issue with theirs? I'm going to check my ramp door. I usually load my Polaris Ranger in my RW305. I put wood pieces under the rubber stoppers on the top to keep the ramp door level. I try to keep the weight distributed evenly, i have seen some doors like that, but because the owner had the ramp down on un-even ground (Hunt Camp Member). But I agree these doors should be built with the type of use intended.

I do the same thing, putting pieces of 2x4 unde the rubber pads to level the ramp before putting weight on it.

jpdoggett

Jim, you are correct. BUT, besides Dometic and a few others...who makes parts for RV's?? It's hard to find any good replacement RV stuff a big box store that will fit. We are held captive by the companies that make RV stuff. That being said...then so are the RV manufacturers. I bet most of the stuff is made in China now...so go figure on the quality being producted.

Bob your right I'll bet 65 to75% are from China or some other country and you are right we and the Manufactures are being held captive

don46

The reality is this, Me and everybody else bought our units from Heartland, NOT Lippert. In my mind that makes Heartland responsible for providing a unit that lives up to the customers realistic expectations. If these compnoents are junk then the manuf should not be buying them from this supplier. There is expected serviceability on these units and a failure of 2-3 years on a component that should not fail does not meet that expectation. So in the end Heartland has as much fault as Lippert and to tell your customer sorry your on your own is not customer service, all that does is creates a customer for the competition.

flameon

If you bought you vehicle from Chevrolet, Dodge or Ford, (or whoever for that matter) does not mean that it's an all original brand inclusive parts as are all rv's, but you don't call the manufacturer of these parts for repair/warranty, you go to the Brand Dealership. Hopefully the Brand/Heartland would stand behind their decision to use these parts, not because there cheap/inexpensive but because there reliable.

Sandpirate69

You are absolutely CORRECT. When you buy a Vehicle the Dealer stands behind their product. You, as the consumer, do not call Mexico for a Window Motor when it brakes. Nor do you call Detroit for an engine block. So that being said, Heart Land should stand behind whatever product they use to build their line of RV's. Not trying to add fuel to the fire, just have had previous experience with another manufacturer that really stood behind their product. Furthermore, maybe HL will read this and understand that the end users (US) would like better quality. RV's are not cheap to purchase nor maintain. So that should add a bit more as to why we want quality parts, as well as professional service.

After reading this thread I went out and looked at my 2009 3210 and yep, mine is cracking out at the bottom too. I'm getting ready to leave for Arizona next week for the winter and really don,t need this now! It looks like the outside hinge plates aren,t long or wide enough and the weight of the door puts too much stress on them and they crack right at the top of the hinge. I hope I can get this issue resolved before I'm supposed to leave or at least maybe I can get my motorcycles loaded before the door falls completely off and then I can deal with it when I get to Arizona. Guess its time to call Heartland.

Well, called Heartland today to see if they would help with my ramp door problem. Nope! 3 months out of warranty so they won't do anything to help. Looks like it will cost me around $2,000 to get a new ramp door installed. Never, ever again will I buy another Heartland product! Guess I'll have to wait until I get to Arizona to try to have it fixed. That's if it doesn't completely fall off on the way there.

don46

So as a followup, I went to Heartland to get my rear door repaired, sent pictures and ultimatrely was told, sorry but we can't help you. I was upset, and felt that the service life should have been more than 20 uses, so I called Lippert, sent them the same pictures, and received a followup a week later saying that under the goodwill policy they would replace it. low and behold my dealer called to say that they were delivering it tomorrow. The door and freight were covered by Lippert and it looks like I'm going to eat the install. This was on a 2010 Road Warrior with minimal use.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Seems like they are at least trying to meet you halfway. Too bad you couldn't do the replace yourself. Isn't it just unbolting the old one and bolting on the new one.

don46

Went back to Heartland to see if they would participate in the labor to replace the door, but as I expected they said its out of warranty and your on your own. I will be sure to relay this great customer service to all my friends and anybody else that will listen. not that they care but they have lost a future customer, not to say the competitors are any better but they can't be any worse.

Lynn1130

No offense, and I'm not trying to pick a fight but how long over a warranty period should a company honor a warranty? If that date keeps moving how long will the company stay in business?
I understand the frustration because I have been there once or twice with product failures. Once-in-a-while you find a company that will go a little extra for customer service and that is always pleasing but the reality of it is there has to be an end date some where.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2009 3950 Cyclone and load 2 large and heavy 4 wheelers (Can-Am Outlander Plus) and have never had any kind of problem. And have never heard of such a problem. Sounds like a factory defect.

don46

I have a 2009 3950 Cyclone and load 2 large and heavy 4 wheelers (Can-Am Outlander Plus) and have never had any kind of problem. And have never heard of such a problem. Sounds like a factory defect.

You are absolutely correct, "Factory Defect" by Heartlands own admission, but since it is out of Warranty tough luck. If I wasn't so ticked off it would be funny, I talked to Jim Fenner in customer service, he said that it is a defect but since Lippert is picking up the door I should be happy and that it was because of them that I got that. I informed him that Heartland had absolutely nothing to do with getting the door that was on me. I put my unit in Storage in Sept and when I got it out in April I noticed the problem, it was then that I notified Heartland, only to be told sorry. To answer Lynn1130 how long is to long, I don't know but 6-7 months for a product that you acknowledge is defective should be in realm of replacement, hopefully yours doesn't fail.

I'm not done yet, I'm going to go to Jim Fenner's boss, outline what has happened and see where it goes It won't be the end of the world if it goes nowhere, I suspect it will cost $250 to 500 to get it installed.
I can say that while I like my unit I am truly disappointed in the Company, this is almost like the auto industry years ago, as long as we the consumers tolerate it, we will see more of the same.