Rand McNallyTripmaker for RV

olcoon

After reading these posts, and looking on Rand McNally's website, I've got one question (at least for now). One thing that really gets my goat is that with my Garmin, sometimes it will tell me to take an exit, then get right back on the interstate. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for this, and it has happened in several different states. Does Rand McNally's GPS do this also? This is really aggravating, time consuming, wastes fuel, and could be dangerous.

MTPockets

Have had the Rand 7710 for a couple months and like the unit overall, but am still getting used to it. I bought it for the comfort of being able to input overall height. I have some difficulty finding POI's. my GArmin NUVI seemed to have better POI capability. I'm going to run both and keep the Garmin on mute.

Rrloren

After reading these posts, and looking on Rand McNally's website, I've got one question (at least for now). One thing that really gets my goat is that with my Garmin, sometimes it will tell me to take an exit, then get right back on the interstate. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for this, and it has happened in several different states. Does Rand McNally's GPS do this also? This is really aggravating, time consuming, wastes fuel, and could be dangerous.

Your garmin can be programmed to use the "shortest" or "Quickest" route and depending on how you have it set sometimes the unit will tell you to take an exit then immediately get back on the Interstate. You have to use these devices with a "grain of salt" , you need to know your general route and not follow the instructed directions blindly. I've wound up in places I didn't want to be on occasion.
In the morning I usually take a quick overall look at the travels for the day so I have a decent feel for the route. Hope this helps.

olcoon

I've had it set both way...quickest & shortest, & it doesn't seem to make any difference. It also trys to send us down the outer road next to the interstate. I can sometimes understand that as they are close to each other. And yes the DW is riding shotgun with a map/atlas in her lap...she just loves telling me where to go!!!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have found the same problem at other locations. All I can figure is that there was construction at that area and an exit was required. Then when the work was completed or the hwy was rerouted they did not get all the construction data removed.

I talked to Garmin about making corrections to the maps and they referred me to the NAVTEQ website. Navteq has a Map Reporter website. I have not used the Map Reporter site but I understand that Garmin uses their maps and I also think other companies also use their maps. This is Garmin's Report a Map Error website. I haven't used the Garmin Map Error site. It wants to much information. I can't give them all the information they are requesting while I am driving down the road.

Hope this is informative for some....

BC

plumberdude

Has anyone checked on a Cobra 7700 Pro GPS. The truckers have it listed as a good GPS system. It has alot of the features Magellan has. Which lane to use, height.

Lori

cwit

I have a Garmin and find my old Tom Tom more user friendly. I find the Garmin will usually get us there but not always the same way.