RDS Aux. Fuel Tank Leak

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I installed a 37 gallon RDS Fuel tank in the bed of my truck. Works great and the fuel line tie in works well. The one problem I noticed is that when you have the tank full and the truck sitting on a grade(front end high). Some fuel will leak aroung the fuel cap. It also probably leaks when the back and forth motion happens from starting and stopping. It is not a lot of fuel, but enough to leak onto the bed. Anybody run into this issue? The tank is very low profile, only 9" high and 20" deep, and the filler neck sitsd on the side. Thinking maybe a gasket between the filler neck and the cap??

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Is it a vented or non-vented cap. If its vented, that could be the leak. Give the manufacturer a call to see if there is a cure.

Rrloren

Have the same setup and originally had same problem. I called RDS and they acknowledged the problem and sent me a piece off hose and a vent valve for top of tank , now any spill is directed under the truck. I also do not put in more than 33 gal. which will help prevent the leak in the first place. Once in awhile in the summer and parked on an angle I may see some very minor spillage.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I have a similar problem with my 100 gallon tank. When I fill it, I am careful not to fill it completely because a small amount spills out from the vented cap.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Have the same setup and originally had same problem. I called RDS and they acknowledged the problem and sent me a piece off hose and a vent valve for top of tank , now any spill is directed under the truck. I also do not put in more than 33 gal. which will help prevent the leak in the first place. Once in awhile in the summer and parked on an angle I may see some very minor spillage.

Calling RDS tomorrow. Thanks for the help!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If I add a little too much fuel in my RDS tank and the sun shines on it, it will cause expansion of the fuel.
The increased pressure from the expansion will force fuel up out of the vent.
As mentioned previously, don't over fill it. Needs a little head space for expansion.
Nothing wrong with my tank or cap, only the operator.

Peace
Dave

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I have the 60 gal rds and if I put 55+ gal in it I will have a mess. I've developed a eye for what is full by looking in the tank. H