RDS Fuel tank/toolbox

wehavefun

If you use rubber hose on your vent just let it curl around 3 times in a 4" coil and ziptie it towards the top of your box you won't have any spill from vent.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Three 4" circles of 3/8" line doesn't hold anywhere near the amount of that small bottle I have, and I have filled that bottle at least once already. And doing so might just cause a venting issue, similar to the venting of the fresh water tanks when the vent line has a low point loop.

I'm using gravity feed, so it wouldn't take much to stop the flow.

wehavefun

My last truck I ran over 60,000 miles with no issues with the RDS 60 gallon combo gravity fed and my new truck has the 45 gallon, only traveled 2500 miles so far but it seems to work for me just fine.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

RandyDeb

Mine was working until I put about 16" vent hose on. I also installed two j clamps that run up to the top of the toolbox. I just rapped the hose around and stuck it back into one of the clamps. I think I pinched the vent line because its not feeding. I pulled the line out tonight so see what happens.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
M I think I pinched the vent line because its not feeding.
No air in, no fuel out.
When I first installed my tank I had a problem with venting. I now have about 6 inches of hose on the vent with the hoses natural curve up.
No problems running that way in the last 6 years.

Peace
Dave

RandyDeb

After pulling the line out and making sure it was open it's still not feeding. But, I was at about 1/4 on the internal tank so now I'm thinking that I needed to fill the tank to get it to pull full again.:confused:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Did you remove the vent line? It won't hurt to not have a line on that vent barb.

Peace
Dave

RandyDeb

Dave

No I left it on. I was talking with my nephew last night. He suggested putting a fuel filter on the vent hose. He has done that on a tank he uses in a farm truck, said it works fine. It's a small clear plastic fuel filter that will only let fuel or air go oneway. Has anyone tried that?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I tried that years ago and had a problem with it. Well I think I did. It seems that I got fuel up into that filter and it prevented the venting process. Once I took it off everything worked fine.
Right now all I have is about a 6" piece of fuel line attached to the vent.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
Dave

No I left it on. I was talking with my nephew last night. He suggested putting a fuel filter on the vent hose. He has done that on a tank he uses in a farm truck, said it works fine. It's a small clear plastic fuel filter that will only let fuel or air go oneway. Has anyone tried that?

I tried that years ago and had a problem with it. Well I think I did. It seems that I got fuel up into that filter and it prevented the venting process. Once I took it off everything worked fine.
Right now all I have is about a 6" piece of fuel line attached to the vent.

Peace
Dave

Same experience as Dave's

Wmnmy

I have the 45 gallon RDS Gravity fed auxiliary fuel tank and I open the valve before I leave with a full tank and my gage show full until the RDS empty then my gage start going going down when the oem tank starts emptying.. Love it no problems in 30'000 miles ..

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Tractor Supply has them in their Lawn and garden section. With the spark plugs, fuel line, etc.

RandyDeb

TSC! Good idea. I wouldn't think a fuel filter with a check valve would be that hard to track down. Maybe I need to be looking for just a check valve. Forget about a fuel filter.

porthole

Retired
TSC! Good idea. I wouldn't think a fuel filter with a check valve would be that hard to track down. Maybe I need to be looking for just a check valve. Forget about a fuel filter.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

The reason some of the people I know even bothered to add the fuel filter to the vent line was to keep debris and insects out of it.
I removed mine after I filled the filter the second time, figuring a wet filter slowed the venting down even more.

Did you add a 1/4 turn ball valve to the tank outlet, so you can shut off the tank?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I have nothing on the end of my vent hose. It is mounted under the bed lip and the open end points downward so as not to inadvertently collect any wash or rain water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk