Rds tank question

Garypowell

The RDS tank is on the way. At least two questions about the install:

1. Do I use Teflon tape to seal threads where gravity supply line is connected to tank? I have used yellow for nat gas but not sure about Diesel.

2. Should I put a gallon of fuel in the tank prior to install then swish around and dump out to clean the tank?

3. Any other suggestions would be appreciated from your experience.

Thank,

jnbhobe

I use brass fittings and pipe dope then fill the tank. I use gravity fill, tried it with a pump but after pumping 40 gal down the drain in the garage I changed that. I have a manual shut-off and a 12V soloniod valve hooked to the upfitter switches. Works great of the Ford, no problems with the computer, in fact it keeps track of the gallons used. I did put a filter on the vent line. The setup works great.

dewwood

Gary,
I would definitely put some fuel in and try to wash any contaminants out that may have gotten into the tank. I had a new tractor that I kept having power problems with and low a behold there were spider nests which had gotten sucked into the fuel line. The new tanks sit for a while before they are installed and guess what moved in. There is also the chance of shavings which do not help close tolerance injector pumps.

jnbhobe

It is very hard to wash out the RDS tanks, you may try to put in some fuel and slosh it around then turn it up side down and drain it out the fill port. The way they are built you will still have at least 5 gal in the tank when it is finished draining from the outlet. I was also only to get 54.5 gal in my 60 gal advertized tank.

porthole

Retired
The RDS tank is on the way. At least two questions about the install:

1. Do I use Teflon tape to seal threads where gravity supply line is connected to tank? I have used yellow for nat gas but not sure about Diesel.

2. Should I put a gallon of fuel in the tank prior to install then swish around and dump out to clean the tank?

3. Any other suggestions would be appreciated from your experience.

Thank,

Home Depot now carries a "universal" teflon tape, already had some so that is what I used.
Putting a gallon and swishing around couldn't hurt, but all I did was look inside with a flashlight.
I added a non locking cap from Napa. Since mine is under cover I didn't need to be bothered with another key.

I added 5 gallons or so, let it sit a few days for a leak check

streetdoc

I used the RDS gravity feed adapter for an RDS tank, their instructions is for anti-seize only on the threads. Love my tank and the increased range and the ability to use lower cost fuel.

davebennington

I install a filter just before the transfer switch and fuel pump. It appears to work well and I change it every 5ooo miles when I change the oil.

dave

MTPockets

I install a filter just before the transfer switch and fuel pump. It appears to work well and I change it every 5ooo miles when I change the oil.

dave
As an FYI, my Transfer Flow Instructions say to change the in-line filter once/yr or 18,000 miles. The first change at 3,000 miles.

'Lil Guy'

Any white teflon tape will wick the diesel fuel. They make yellow tape at Loews or Home Depot that is for fuel. I just used it for the 1st time on my Transfer Flow install. I also wouldn't think you need to clean the tank if you're running an inline fuel filter between the pump and fueling hose.