REALLY, What the heck were we thinking.

creeper

We come up with this great idea. Drive up to NY for the holidays and stay in the Bighorn... Really, how bad could it be?

I have to say, I nearly committed murder today.

We leave Georgia early Friday morning. Have a long drive of about 415 miles. Pull into this OUTSTANDING RV park in Roanoke Rapids, SC (The RV Resort for those wanting to know. Easy on easy off and $15 for sewer, water and wifi to combat Wally Mart).

Anyhow, we leave early Saturday morning and we get nailed with traffic at Washington D.C. , this is where I start to percolate. THEN, an absolutely brilliant driver decides he doesn't need to be in this left exit lane, which there are two left exit lanes. Therefore he decides to stop and turn right to cross 3 lanes and get where he wants to go. Panic stop time for the Ford and Bighorn..... Wife screaming, horn blazing and this nitwit continues.... We just missed him and ended up door to door with him. I give him the one finger salute and the wife is screaming at him.:mad:

Then of course more traffic in Baltimore, some more in Maryland. We decide we need out of the truck time and go into the rest stop. BOY was that a mistake. As we walk to cross the street a nice gentleman stops and lets us cross. I say to my wife, he's not from the Northeast. Just for kicks and giggles we check the plate, yup South Carolina. As we get inside I get pushed twice because i guess I wasn't walking fast enough. We get some food and the cashier is busy talking to her friends and mumbles something to me, when I say excuse me she yells at me.. $12 she yells.:mad: We Down two cardboard meat patties masquerading as burgers and we had enough.

We leave in disgust and my level frustration/anger level is about a 5.

Hit more traffic due to rubber neckers on a minor fender bender and I'm at a 6.:mad:

We make it to NJ and think we're on the home stretch. Missed our exit because no one would let us merge over from the middle lane and I'm at a 7. Have to go almost to the George Washington Bridge to make a U-turn. Then because of heavy traffic in snowy icy conditions, people decide to use the break in the median that says, DO NOT USE to cut into the other lanes. 1, 2, 3 and they are causing the other lanes to stop and avoid them and then NUMBER 4... He shoots across two lanes and STOPS in front of us on RT. 95..... Horn blazing, wife screaming and I shoot to a 10..:mad:

We sit in traffic and make a U-turn in Fort Lee, NJ... Not fun for those who have never been there... We try to get back on 95, but can't because.............. Yup, the lovely people of NY/NJ won't let us merge over...So we end up on Route 4 and as soon as we do I go nuts... For those who don't know you can spend a month on Route 4 and we did.. Took us a hour to go 3 miles. :mad: In this time we start to get cut off, by people who want to be in our lane and just push their car there, you know the move.. Just put your nose in and don't look at the person you are cutting off. The worst was this woman who nearly clipped my truck. She wasn't stopping for anything.. Of course I go Rifle at the top of the water tower mad and get out of the truck, with full in tensions of beating on her window and asking in a polite and mannerly why.. WHAT THE HECK IS SHE THINKING...:mad: Wife quickly talks sense into me as the woman and her friends lock their doors.

I get back in the truck and man I'm steaming.:mad: Wife tries to talk me down off the water tower and says... Just remember that's why we moved out of NY. I shoot her a you're going to be riding in the bed of the truck look and she knows it's now time for her to be quiet and let me vent to myself. I rarely ever get this mad, heck I don't even remember ever getting this steamed and I was steamed.. Wife starts talking to her friends on the cellphone and all they hear is me cursing to myself.

Another 1 1/2 hours and we're pulling into the campground, after a 12 1/2 hour drive, which should have taken 7. The campground happens to be an uphill slope covered with hard packed snow.:mad: Good thing I had 4 wheel drive. Had a tough time getting into the spot. 1 foot of snow on either side. Good thing I had the sense to bring my one and only left over snow shovel.

Get hooked up... campground Water line frozen.. had to dig threw the snow to find sewer. Cable doesn't work... It's 9 degrees... Sitting here with the fireplace going and 2 electric heaters to keep warm.... Only NOW am i starting to settle down 1am and I'm at a level 1:).... To our surprise the campground has good wifi.

Camper at 65 degrees, underbelly at 39 degrees and basement storage at 41 heated with lamp(started at 34). Outside 9 degrees and snowing... Furnace ran twice in the last 1 1/2 hours and only for a couple of minutes.

I feel better now I vented....:D

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We're here for ya. Glad you vented. You need to get that poison out of your system. Now enjoy the rest of your holiday trip.
Peace
Dave

CrazyScotsman

I know exactly where your coming from Creeper. For some reason people in car's, not just on the East coast but all over, find the biggest heaviest vehicle on the road to cut off. Why, I don't have a clue, but they do. I put up with this on a daily basis while driving my truck. I don't have it as bad as I used to, nowadays I have an easy 420 mile run and home every night. When I owned my own company a few years ago I took a 260" WB truck with a 53' trailer to the World Trade centre. You talk about fun being cut off ETC. in Downtown Manhattan.Wasn't to bad going in , in the wee hours of the morning, but coming out around 8 am was a BLAST. Got to see the Bull on Wall St though. Joy oh Joy LOL
Anyhoo Creeper, best thing is not to get your BP elevated, at the end of the day it is not worth it.
Have a great holiday. Cheers Ken

truknutt

Committed Member
.... I shoot her a you're going to be riding in the bed of the truck look and she knows it's now time for her to be quiet and let me vent to myself. ....:D

Now that's funny!!!! When I shoot that "look", I get the old "Don't look at me in that tone of voice!" :eek:

Hopefully your holidays will have made this journey well worth this outrageous adventure!!! (I'm still chuckling...sorry) :D

Thanks for the venting...reconfirms my decision to stay home!! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

TrukNutt & Family

snuffy

I love camping too, but I haven't understood the point of this adventure.:confused:
Maybe some kind of maochistic manuever to prove your manhood?;) Heck, you proved that with all the handywork. No need to overdo it and blow out an artery.:eek:
Take a deep breath and count to one million.:D

Delaine and Lindy

Creeper, I know the feeling lived in the Washington DC area 15 years. And run a Big Truck 53' trailer all up the East, last run into the Broncs area at 139th street and when I finally got unloaded call the office and told them never again will I go there and refused to go into the city area again and didn't. The language also changes as you go into NJ, many times the F word in many different ways will be used. Just one other thing be very careful when going up to a car and you don't know them, it can be your last time. We are going back South Tuesday morning and will be glad to see the 5th wheel in a warm place. Its not to bad here in Tennessee this morning 20 degrees but will be 11 degrees. Good Luck to you. GBY....

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I feel your pain...now you know why we got the heck out of the Baltimore/DC area the instant we could!! Hate to go back that way when the weather is nice...wouldn't even think of it in the winter.

Sure hope your trip back is better. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you.:)

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
You need a copy of the "I-95" Song.

I spent 6 months at Croton on Hudson....loved the people...hated the traffic. People go thru a radical personality change during their commute.

I remember this kindly little old lady that ran a deli there...sweet as she could be. Until she got behind the wheel....

Ah, I remember her fondly...cigarette in mouth, foot to the floor....middle finger in the air.

Personally, I think it's the carbon dioxide.

creeper

Ah, I'm better today... Woke up to frozen line from fresh water tank. Temp gauge never went below freezing, line is insulated and still froze. Main gray tank valve frozen. But all is good. Put the heater on the fresh water and got that draining. Will get a heater tape and use the campground water, now the heater is on the grey valve.. I guess 9 degrees will do that..... It's snowing, got a good sat signal and after yesterday this is all cake....

creeper

Just one other thing be very careful when going up to a car and you don't know them, it can be your last time...

I spent over 20 years walking up to strange cars and I don't travel anywhere in the camper with my "Capper" as they say in NY.:D

Can't wait to get back in the south... We only did this because of family and we don't like living out of suit cases and house to house.

caokgafamily

I hate to say it but it seems alot of the south is becoming just like anywere in the USA. I've only lived here for 10yrs and I've seen the change. I guess alot of people move around the USA looking for the good ole days. I grew up in Northern California and it use to be nice till everybody found out how nice it was. I hate to see what this country will be like in another 20 years.

caokgafamily

Don't get me wrong I've had a pretty much charmed spoiled life. I use to sit and talk alot with my great grandma and boy she could tell some stories! I'm only 41 and I get so MAD sometimes about politics, goverment and the overall path I believe this country is going. Merl Haggard wrote this song about a snow ball headed for ****, does it relate to today? maybe. I guess that is why we love rving so much, nice people and maybe a link to the good ole days.

ct0218

The south has changed a lot because a lot of the people like Creeper dealt with have moved to the south! Can't blame them though, too bad they didn't adopt our southern hospitality. I have a really loud set of air horns that I use frequently when towing--it will rattle their windows.

creeper

The south has changed a lot because a lot of the people like Creeper dealt with have moved to the south! Can't blame them though, too bad they didn't adopt our southern hospitality. I have a really loud set of air horns that I use frequently when towing--it will rattle their windows.

That's what worries us. We moved south and adopted the southern hospitality. It's so much easier. Now we hope those people stay north.

Uncle Rog

Good luck up there, I met a guy this T-day in a big diesel pusher with an "eastern" accent. He loved the rv experience and said he never even considered it when he was back there because of the congestion and "people". He could not believe how nice it was to head out through the desert and only see a couple of vehicles an hour some times.....................

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
Creeper,

I whole heartedly appologize for the northeast drivers. Agressive does not even begin to cover the road race, only made worse by being on the I95 corridor. I really avoid the corridor when ever I can. When I come south we use I84 to Scranton, PA, then down I81 to Route 66 and US 17 to I95. Takes a little longer, but avoids the majority of the citidiots. Have a safe trip home - If you are still up here drop me a note and I will bring the beer or what ever else....

FJ

creeper

It's minus 4 degrees and snowing right now. I can't wait to get out of Florida, NY. One more day in the frozen tundra.. We learned a few things on this trip....

1. Electric heaters rock.
2. All the freeze points on the RV. It now takes only minutes to get water flowing in -12 windchill. The lower bypass really needs to be moved.
3. HEATER TAPE.
4. open you gray water valves RIGHT AWAY when arriving or you will putting little heaters underneath to thaw them.
5. People in the Northeast don't wave at you using all their fingers.
6. 80MPH means you should be in the slow lane.
7. Don't leave the south if you have to in the winter time.

:)