Rear air problem-Dometic

donmogey

2016 Syracuse-Replaced rear air fan motor after it
froze up. Now when rear air comes on the condenser (?) stays on but there is an audible surging like a power surge for a few seconds then returns to
" normal" sound and continues to blow for a few minutes and then surges again.
The fan works properly, independent of the heat pump.
Checking the power panel i found that when the surge happens line 1 voltage spikes from 119v/2amps to 138v/57 amps.
Line 2 voltage drops from 119v/9amps to 110v/9amps. I shut it off.
We are plugged into a 50 amp service at a fairly new RVP in N. Salt Lake City. Any ideas? Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• 20180505_154809.jpg
    20180505_154809.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 35
  • 20180505_154747.jpg
    20180505_154747.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 19

danemayer

The high voltage on one leg and low voltage on the other is a symptom of a partial loss of neutral connection. This can be very damaging to your appliances and electronics if allowed to continue.

If this started at this site in this RV park, the pedestal would be the first and most likely suspect. Could be improper wiring at or before the pedestal, or a loose neutral connection.

Move to a different pedestal or a different RV park. If the problem continues, you'll need to get some help to run down the problem. If you have experience with electrical issues, our Electrical User Guide may be of help.

donmogey

Thanks for the prompt response.
Ill get on it with the park tomorrow.
Can i test it by plugging into the 30 amp service at the pedestal?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

donr827

Like Dan said it looks like a loss of neutral line. You might check the power at some other sites with a volt meter also.
Don

danemayer

Thanks for the prompt response.
Ill get on it with the park tomorrow.
Can i test it by plugging into the 30 amp service at the pedestal?

If the problem is with the 50 amp breaker or receptacle at the pedestal, plugging into the 30 amp receptacle would be a workaround. But as for being a test, I'm not sure how you would compare the results to make a positive determination.

Until this is resolved, I'd suggest you turn off as many of the breakers in your main circuit breaker panel as you can, to minimize exposure to appliance and electronics damage.

donmogey

We had our rear air fan motor replaced in Tucson aweek or so ago. It seized up. Warranty covered it.
The Service Tech from the mobile repair had a trainee with him that seemed brand new and didnt know much. Very uncertain in the mechanical aspects of about everything.
I'm thinking they (he) may not have tightened the wires properly when they put it back together. The ground up there may have vibrated loose. Everything worked fine right after. Problem just showed up after several hundred miles on the road.
The heat pump fan runs fine, front air works fine, induction stove top and Whirlpool Gold Convection Microwave oven works fine. No indication of surge when running multiple combinations of them.
I'll leave the rear air off and maybe try 30 amp to see if it happens .
My Power Control Panel shows circuits and neutral/ground OK.