Rear axle on 4100 came loose on right side and is rubbing tire on right middle axle.

wdk450

I keep hearing more and more standard trailer suspension problems. I have yet to hear of ANY independent suspension problems. No springs, shackles, equalizers, U bolts, etc. with IS. Airstream has been using IS since day 1 of their manufacture in the mid 1950's, and Airstream has a pretty solid reputation.

chief916

I think your axles and spring assemblies came from Dexter. I know they were on my 2013 4100. When you call them, if you give them your VIN, they can send you an build sheet that shows all the part numbers of the springs, axles, brakes, and bearings.

Hi Scotty...info you...I talked to a fellow named Dan at Lippert and he ran my vin but he told me I need to take some pix of the unit under carraige and do a through inspection of it before we could proceed with the parts listings. evidently they use multiple source venders on the build but he said he could'nt send me prints and stuff...so rather than push my point I'll just ride this easy and do what he ask for. lots of pix and give everything a real good eyeball. I have insurance to cover this....or so I've been told....but what good is it if the coach is sitting off site 3 miles down the road in a storage lot for three weeks??? Looks like its time to put my heavy aircraft maintenance experience to work. Thanks for the comeback. Will keep you'all posted.. V/R

chief916

It's a lot easier to get the axle back into position if both sides are off the ground.

For safety, you need to have the trailer hitched to the tow vehicle and the tow vehicle chocked. Also need to support the frame in the rear with good solid, strong supports.

Good advice Dan. Any idea as to a recommendation on good strong solid supports on the rear frame???? Floor Jack, bottle jack, house jack????
v/r

chief916

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200304833_200304
Maybe wood blocking to hold the weight rather than trust the jacks while underneath.

thanks Dan. I've got blocks of 6x6 on hand and a 20 ton bottle jack on order. I took pix of the axles, springs an everything but everything is inplace and nothing appears broken or sheared. Scotty was right its a dexter suspension. the right rear and right center tires are still real close. lci guys told me that heartland has a track systm on this rig and I have no idea how it works..will call Heartland monday and see what I can find out.

1_oldgoat

I got some great advise when we first bought out Gateway, can't remember who on the forum gave it to me, however it concerned checking tire pressure, wheel lug nuts and suspension bolts before every trip, glad i check em because u-bolt nuts have been loose a couple of times, i finally took the nuts off and used locktight on them, no more trouble, good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

danemayer

lci guys told me that heartland has a track systm on this rig and I have no idea how it works..will call Heartland monday and see what I can find out.

The track system mentioned is probably the Correct Track system that lets you adjust the tracking of the axles to correct certain weight distribution issues. The typical adjustment is 1/4" or so. Here's a link to the Lippert Correct Track page so you can see what it's about.