Recliner chairs;

Wilson

Hi Willie. Can you send me a quick note when you hear back from Flair? We have the new Sequoia model and only saw it once before we purchased. The dealer just got ours in and there wasn't even a brochure on it. We purchased very quickly because we were leaving for the south in a few weeks..so part of this is our fault. We didn't check out everything just assumed that with a higher end product any problems would be taken care of and so we took a chance. We didn't have time on our side and the dealer was miles away so there was no second visit...we loved what we saw. By the time we closed the deal and moved over all our posessions over (even slept that night in their yard) the last thing on our minds was chair testing...besides they looked great!!!
Thanks.

Birchwood

Never had any problems like you are describing but we got rid of them after two years because
the faux leather(vinyl) covering became worn.Couch,dining chairs,recliners and mattress have all
been replaced.As I have stated many times RV furniture is for display and selling purposes... not
really for real use

olcoon

Wilson,
I wish I had some answers for you & the others, but unfortunately I don't. Before I removed a spring I'd look at it hard & for a long time. Like was said you would probably need the correct tools to do it safely, and if it didn't help the problem & you decided to reinstall it, you'd probably have a real hard time doing it.

On another note, we were in FL in Dec. of 2010, and had problems with our Elk Ridge, it was still under warranty, so I called Heartland to find out where to take it to get worked on. They told me to take it to Campers Inn in Fruitland Park, FL They are not a Heartland dealer,but they took care of our problem, and we were very pleased with them, and their work. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you might need it.

Hi Willie. Can you send me a quick note when you hear back from Flair? We have the new Sequoia model and only saw it once before we purchased. The dealer just got ours in and there wasn't even a brochure on it. We purchased very quickly because we were leaving for the south in a few weeks..so part of this is our fault. We didn't check out everything just assumed that with a higher end product any problems would be taken care of and so we took a chance. We didn't have time on our side and the dealer was miles away so there was no second visit...we loved what we saw. By the time we closed the deal and moved over all our posessions over (even slept that night in their yard) the last thing on our minds was chair testing...besides they looked great!!!
Thanks.

Will do, Wilson. We too had only seen one in Vegas. then did a lot of research and special ordered to get a queen bed from our dealer in Butte, Mt and when we stayed on lot as you did, had no TV and weren't in a relaxing but rather exploring mode so didn't notice the dysfunctional recliners. I sure disagree with the poster about RV furniture always being of poor quality. This is our 4th, and most costly, 5er and had no complaints about furniture in any of them until now.. The recliners in our Alpenlite were awesome, Lane I think. And after five years, looked as good as new. I believe what he said about RV furniture always being of low quality might be true in a low end unit but not a Key Largo!

Wilson, wish I had good news for you but unfortunately, still just this big silence. Talked to someone at Heartland who said nothing he could do. I asked to speak to someone who could do something and he referred me to his manager who did not call back. He was the same person who had not responded to earlier inquiries. Flair tried to call us once and when I returned the call and left a message, no call back. Our dealer is trying to mediate for us but that was almost two weeks ago and once again, have not heard back. Just sent another inquiry to him. So that's the latest after working, or trying to, on this issue for three-four months. I guess this information says it all and not necessary to discuss our feelings over this "customer service."

TXBobcat

Fulltime
What I am going to say will not make you happy but this is the way I believe how things work out. I have made a lot of modifications to my trailer. The same day I picked up the trailer I took it to Discount Tire and had all 5 tires replaced with XPS Ribs. I didn't want to have one blow out and damage my trailer. I replaced the pin box. I replaced the axles with Mor/Ryde IS and Hydraulic DB. I replaced the jacks with Big Foot auto leveling system. And I replace the recliners with Lazy Boy's . The recliners are about worn out so we are going to replace them soon.

If Heartland had made all the changes that I have made, over a period of time, I would not have been able to afford my trailer. If they had used a better couch, chairs, recliner, and many of the other things, you may not have purchased the trailer because it was to expensive.

The other thought, regardless of which furniture is placed in the trailer not everyone is going to like them. Like Dan stated, he has back problems and had to find a chair that he felt comfortable in. Same here, the chairs we had deteriorated quickly and was hurting my back so we replaced them.

It might be an idea for Heartland to not put furniture in their trailers and let everyone pick up the ones they like, but then a lot of people would be upset that they didn't get furniture. Now the circle starts again, Heartland installs inexpensive furniture and now others are unhappy with the cheap furniture.

Best bet, Sell the recliners that you don't like and put in ones that make you feel great.

Please do not be upset with my post, I am just trying to show this from a different viewpoint..

FWIW....
BC

Eddhuy

When my wife and were looking at our Prowler last summer we loved almost everything about it but we both agreed that the chairs had to go. They were uncomfortable to sit in. What we got were 2 lazy boy recliners with an electric motor that operates the feet and legs either together or independently. When you put the legs or back in a certain position, they stay in that position. These are probably the most comfortable recliners I have ever sat in. My first thought was how stupid, who needs an electric motor in a recliner. After sitting in them, I began to realize what a wonderful idea. How many recliners give you the option of extending your feet part way but having the back at any angle you wish. Perfect for watching movies or reading in.

Appreciate your thoughts, Bobcat. As I've said earlier, this is our 4th 5er and we were completely satisfied with the furniture in the others. What upsets us about this so much is that they are marketed as a recliner. Well, it does recline but will not stay reclined. They are not very comfortable either but we are not complaining about that, we realize it goes with the territory. We too changed out tires and hitch for a higher quality. Our last RV, an Alpenlite, had terrific recliners, Lane, I think. These recliners feel defective, not just cheap. I guess that is why we keep pursuing an effort to switch them out for theater seating which others say are both comfortable, and most importantly do stay reclined. The Key Largo is not supposed to be a cheap RV, the price was certainly not low. We bought for quality. I think our proposed solution is not unreasonable and that Heartland should stand behind their product because they wrote the specs and selected the product. This is not an issue of "personal choice." They don't fit the definition of a recliner. But you spoke wise words and I do appreciate your input.

Wilson

Hi Willie, I gave up on my plastic recliners months ago and now sit on my plastic sofa. Too many other unresolved problems have surfaced...& almost every blind has snapped or is about to...all cords are frayed...can hardly believe it!!!!

doxiecouple

Willie, great input/feedback you provided. We are also very unhappy with the recliners and wish we had gone with the theater seating. I will follow this post and look for any corrective actions. Surely, there is a way to at least change something so the recliner will at least stay back. Makes an old man's neck tired trying to hold it in the recline position !

Theresau

This thread made us curious so we "double" checked our recliiners in the new BC - they recline fine but you have to put up the footrest. Our Lazy Boys in the house on the other hand will recline without doing that.

To recline almost flat on the BC recliners Joe had to really push back hard but he could do it (he weighs about 165). However, the angle when putting up the footrest we both found satisfactory - I added a small pillow at my neck. (They stayed reclined as long as we had the footrest up.)

These work much better than the ones we had in our 2010 BH which were controlled by a handle - these are controlled by a round type of release mechanism on the side as well as by the footrest to bring back to a sitting position. The BC's remind me of my son's recliners at his house which are Lane's (but the BC's are much more comfortable - I've always disliked his chairs - they only have 1 reclining position..and it's not a comfortable one).

You know we have had multiple Lazy Boys and each had different mechanisms and methods to recline (and we've tried out many diferent styles). Our much older set were more similar to the BC's in that you had to put up the foot rest to recline and then you pushed down on the footrest to sit up and as you sat up it would stop reclining.

I guess my point/the moral of the story is that each chair model may/will work differently no matter who makes it.

I'll just say a bit more here - we did a great deal of investigation before ordering the new BC. There were things we didn't like and we worked with Heartland to resolve these before we finalized the deal....and they were very accommodating - the salesman at the dealership was surprised by how accommodating they were...he had just started selling Heartland - he sold Montana's before.

Theresa

Willie, great input/feedback you provided. We are also very unhappy with the recliners and wish we had gone with the theater seating. I will follow this post and look for any corrective actions. Surely, there is a way to at least change something so the recliner will at least stay back. Makes an old man's neck tired trying to hold it in the recline position !

Doxiecouple, I cannot give you any good news. There is no way to fix the recliners and neither Heartland nor Flair would assist us in any way. In fact, they would not even return calls. The only way we learned they would not help is through our dealer, Rocky Mtn, in Butte, Mt. He tried and tried to intervene for us. The strategy used by Heartland and Flair was to ignore us and hope we just went away. It worked, we surrender. We haven't decided whether to live with the terrible "recliners" or to shop for something more functional.

Hi Willie, I gave up on my plastic recliners months ago and now sit on my plastic sofa. Too many other unresolved problems have surfaced...& almost every blind has snapped or is about to...all cords are frayed...can hardly believe it!!!!

Gosh, Wilson, we sound like twins. The cord on our big blind snapped and the others look pretty bad as well and will not stay tightened! We did get a replacement blind from Heartland but when will the others go?

blacklabbob

I second the motion. So uncomfortable as they keep falling forward. Thinking of replacing them with $49 Zero Gravity loungers from Cabela's. Look bad, feel good.

we are also very disappointed with the recliners in our landmark so we sold them and have been trying to order theater seats from the factory since October can not post all the things that went wrong with the factory. finally received the chairs today and they are damaged had to refuse them I can not believe this I thought Heartland was one of the best in the RV business. but so far they have not shown me any thing to be happy about. :(

Greengas

We also got rid of our recliners. We purchased theater seating from a local furniture store (American Furniture Warehouse) and they work great. You don't need to order from the factory. It's less expensive to get them yourself from a furniture store. That way, you get exactly what you want.

wolfrat1

The recliners in our 2012 bighorn weren't comfortable and they to kept falling apart. Looked at the Gardner White furniture store here in town and got some theater power recliners on clearance at an outstanding price. Yes, one does get to set in them before they buy. Keep checking your local furniture stores. Make sure you measure.