Recommendations Needed for Awning Anchors and Deflapers

floridarandy

We have a manual awning on our Sundance 2900MK. I'm can cantelever t.he awning when it rains to avoid pooling but i'm always concerned about wind. While camping I've seen others with some type of anchor using a screw type anchor/strap and I'd like thoughts/recommendations on pros/cons and the type you'all find best.

Same with deflapers tat attach the edge of the awning fabric to the rafters.

Thanks

Randy in Florida

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Randy, I have a manual awning as well and use the patio method whenever I can. I use 3 deflappers on each side spaced evenly. I buy the brand at Walmart at about $9 a pair. I also use screw in dog tie out stakes and put them at the base of the awning leg about a foot out. I use cheap ratchet straps to tie the awning tube down to the stake and I also use a big spike and put it through the leg hole to keep the leg from sliding around. It has worked well for me in some pretty strong winds. I'll look for a picture that may give a visual in case my description is a bit confusing. What I found is one with on;y one leg down but you can get the idea. I usually space the deflappers evenly along the awnings edge.

Attachments

• Awning1.jpg
    Awning1.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

irvin56

I also use 2 deflappers on each side, and use screw anchors and ratchet at both ends.
I usually leave my legs attached to trailer and then use the straps. this way it has 3 anchor points for awning, (top, trailer and strap), but I do on occasion take them off also and stack leg down. As ray mentioned, this will stand up to a fair amount of wind.
I was in drumheller campin last summer and a wind came up, ripped down 3 awning before they were aware of wind coming in, One family were in pool, one just left CG and turned around when the realized the wind came up, one had gone it to town. One unit had the tube twisted real bad, his leg was out but not spiked down. As the Fram filter commercial said "pay me now or pay me later" spend the money and buy the deflappers, straps and stakes and take the time to put them on. It may save a huge bill to replace frame and awning.
Mine and the others that were strapped down had no problems.
But lots of people were running around helping everyone to get theirs rolled up

hoefler

I too use 2 screw in dog stakes, or the picnic table if bolted down, or the front landing gear, etc.. I put a fair amount of tension on the ropes and never had a problem. I always leave the legs on the coach, I am 6' tall and we can walk under them with out any problem.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Please note, this is an opinion.:angel: The reason I anchor the legs in "patio style" is to relieve any undue stress to the lower brackets on the trailer. If the awning rail/tube is anchored to the ground, any stress from wind is directly transfered to the upper and lower brackets when the arms remain attached to the lower brackets. If the arms are on the ground the stress to the trailer is reduced. No engineering calculation going on here, just a little logical thinking. I may be wrong but isn't that what opinions are all about?;)

irvin56

You Are right Ray on the added stress on trailer bracket. Most of the time for me is it's only one or 2 days there.
If I am set up for more than that I will spike them to ground and put on my add-a-room.

irvin56

Tipping awning for rain to run off is a must.
Lethbridge camp ground 2 yrs ago. a family from Grand Praire was down there and went across border to shop. They were gone for 3 days. Silly him, he left his awning out and not staked down and LEVEL. Man did it rain for 1 day and some the next. Well his awning filled like a lake, bent the tubing right in middle of main tube. He had to roll his awning up and tie overtop the roof with a rope, he fastened it to the frame on other side of unit. He was going to Calgary and have it replaced. The fabric, and support rails were still okay.
He was located at the very end unit facing hill and noone could see how bad it was filling. if they had been able to see it, someone would of tipped it for him. He said" we are from G.P and we don't get that kind of downpours or wind so he never thought about it." They were planning on just a day trip. He learnt 2 thing from this, Tip awning and roll up if leaving for the day.

ParkIt

Its been awhile but I picked up a kit that had 4 de-flappers and a full strap that would hook into either a dog screw and when they came out the claw. The nice part was the tension strap was seated so you could roll it up into the awning instead of taking it off every time (or putting it on), saved my awning more than once. I think I picked it up at Camping World but not sure - it might have been JC Whitney. Check both online, they have full catalogs for all sorts of roll out awning tie downs.

ParkIt

Just wondering, will the poles & straps work for the elec. awnings also?

You could but not sure I'd put poles down, just a strap if you have an electric awning. It could mess up the alignment for the motor to work properly if you had any torque and it wouldn't be fun trying to retract it manually.

chubob

I have a big horn fifth wheel setting east/west and the wind is blowing from the southwest which makes the awnings on the slide out whip real bad. When the snow falls the awning is weighted down so I put half blown up beach balls under the awnings to hold them up but the wind blows them out. Has anyone heard of a way to anchor the slide out anwings so they do do tear from the wind?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Chubob, welcome to the forum This is a great place to gather and share information.
I have seen some people that have had long, wide ratchet straps over their slide awnings.
Many of us here have made up some braces using PVC pipe. they go between the slide roof and awning and that creates a tent like taitness of the awning material.

Peace
Dave