Reese fifth wheel wear on inside pivot

Bones

I removed my hitch so I could use the bed and I noticed that the unit was wearing to bare metal. I spray it with lithium grease and it is only a couple years old. Thoughts?

IMG_20170225_161724.jpg

IMG_20170225_161638.jpg

IMG_20170225_161644.jpg

IMG_20170225_161719.jpg

Ldo

I gotta look at mine. I don't think I lube anything but the main pivot point that has a grease zerks. Use Teflon plate on 5th wheel itself; no grease. Ldo

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bones

It fits a ram but the head should be the same as the Ford. I have put lithium grease where it moves and it still wore to metal in my opinion quickly. I use a Teflon disc as well on mine.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have the Reese Signature Series , which is now called the Elite for 11 years now. I use Lucas Red N Tacky grease on it and don't have the wear shown in the pictures. I bought it at local auto part stores , its more robust grease than lithium ..........Ken

Bones

Thanks. I'll give that grease a try.

Here are more photos of the parts cleaned up.

IMG_20170226_110542.jpgIMG_20170226_110547.jpgIMG_20170226_110457.jpgIMG_20170226_110450.jpg

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Looks a lot better cleaned up , coat good with better grease and good to go.

Bones

Looks a lot better cleaned up , coat good with better grease and good to go.

Yes your right it looks a lot better but still concerning that it is wearing. I'll sand the old paint down and clean it up then use the suggested lubricant and see how that does. I though this would be a good hitch and it just seems to have a lot of play in it.

rono

I finally gave up on my Reese elite. After having so many problems with hooking and unhooking including it coming loose and dropping the 5th wheel on my bed I said enough. Bought the B&W rvk3300 and already think it's a better hitch and I've only done a test hook up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

I finally gave up on my Reese elite. After having so many problems with hooking and unhooking including it coming loose and dropping the 5th wheel on my bed I said enough. Bought the B&W rvk3300 and already think it's a better hitch and I've only done a test hook up.

How did it come loose?

rono

How did it come loose?

Not sure, I had checked the hitch before I moved but during unhooking I needed to move the trailer back a couple feet and when I stopped it just slide off the hitch.

pegmikef

Re: Reese fifth wheel wear on inside pivotta

That's strange as I have 37k plus towing miles on my fifth wheel and have had very little trouble hooking and unhooking. Once in a while, as stated in the instructions, with the landing gear down I have to pull forward a tad (hooking up) or back up a tad (unhooking) to relieve the pressure on the hitch so it will open or close respectively. You will hear a very audible click when the pressure is relieved. The only time I dropped it on the truck was when I had a dumb attack and forgot to lower the landing gear . . . oops.

Bones

That's strange as I have 37k plus towing miles on my fifth wheel and have had very little trouble hooking and unhooking. Once in a while, as stated in the instructions, with the landing gear down I have to pull forward a tad (hooking up) or back up a tad (unhooking) to relieve the pressure on the hitch so it will open or close respectively. You will hear a very audible click when the pressure is relieved. The only time I dropped it on the truck was when I had a dumb attack and forgot to lower the landing gear . . . oops.

That must have been the crunch of terror. Mine has jammed a couple times, mainly when on an angle where the truck is one way and the camper is the other way.

pegmikef

That must have been the crunch of terror. Mine has jammed a couple times, mainly when on an angle where the truck is one way and the camper is the other way.

Yep, cost my insurance company a new bed, and me the commensurate increase in insurance rates. My wife made a laminated sign with big letters she hangs on the steering wheel that she hangs of the steering wheel when I get out to check the site out before moving into the final position. It says "LANDING GEAR DOWN? BRAKE CABLE? ELECTRICAL CABLE?" in very bold letters. I regularly grease the pin and other points (e.g,, angled front) that aren't protected by the grease plate.

rono

Well I don't have to worry anymore because I bought the B&W companion hitch and it is smooth as silk. Glad I switched.

BigGuy82

Curious. Any idea how many miles are on it? Also, what environment is it in? Any salt air? Also, even if it looks better now, if it's got play in it, I'd replace it. I've got a Reese Elite - only has 12k on it but looks like new. I also use Red Line CV-2 - a high pressure grease. Ultimately, I'd contact Reese and get a replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk