Reese Goose Box

Eddhuy

I will probably get a BC 3650rl tomorrow, it is a 2012 and at a good price, plus my wife and I really like it. My F350 has the Reese elite hitch mounted under the bed and currently only have the goose neck hitch for it. The Lippert approved goose neck hitch for the 5er, the Reese Goose Box, is rated for 16,000 pounds and the 3650 has a GVWR of 15,500. I am not too happy about that or am worried over nothing. I am thinking about using the B&W Companion OEM hitch, or the the Reese Elite 25K hitch in the truck to be on the safe side. Any feed back would be appreciated.

brianharrison

I have the Reese Elite 18K 5th wheel hitch, pulling a 16,200 GVWR trailer. I am comfortable with this set up. I am unsure of the mounting attachments for the B&W (re-using your existing Reese underbed rails?). I would stick with Reese and use the same mounting rails, buy the 18K fifth wheel hitch (link to Reese), rather than the Reese Goose Box.

I am sure others will share their successful experiences with Reese Goose boxes, but simple physics (leverage) exerted on the trailer pinbox cannot be great in the long run.

Brian

Eddhuy

Thank you for the reply Brian, that is my instinct as well. I am using a goose neck on my current Prowler Titanium but it is also 3K lighter. I do not feel comfortable doing that with the Big Country.

I called Reese. They said you can exceed the towing weight as long as you don't exceed the hitch weight as well and vice versa. But since I purchased the Gateway 3200 RS instead of the Big Country it is no longer an issue and will be using it.

Last edited:

lwmcguir

We have the Goose Box and it is very well built. It is much heavier than the standard Lippert pin that comes with the Coaches. I sure aren't worried about a few extra pounds on mine. The frame is a lot more of a concern to me.

brianharrison

We have the Goose Box and it is very well built. It is much heavier than the standard Lippert pin that comes with the Coaches. I sure aren't worried about a few extra pounds on mine. The frame is a lot more of a concern to me.
You are correct - I should have said the frame, not the Goose Box. Brian

Eddhuy

I could have gone either way and been happy but since we will be picking up the new Gateway, we like it better than the Big Country, in a couple of days and the Goose Box was not readily available but we found a nice Reese Elite 25K hitch that was purchased but not used... well we are now ready to attach a fifth wheel pin box.