Reese Vs B&W

TomEgenes

Founding Montana Chapter Leaders-retired
We just got a new ram 3500 2016 crew cab with factory OEM pucs and wiring in the bed! The dodge dealer sold us the window box frame and a 20k reese hitch with slider from Mopar.
We had a B&W Companion hitch in our old 2003 ram 2500 that worked great! I was told that the new B&W hitch would work better with no chugging and less chance of a insecure hook up ( trailer coming loose and wrecking truck bed) The new B&W also mounts OEM without the need of the OEM window frame rails. Does anybody out there have any ideas about what is the best hitch?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
While I don't have any experience with either of those hitches I have seen the picture frame and I feel it takes up a lot of space.
I prefer a hitch that just drops into the puck holes.

Peace
Dave

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Tom:
Not trying to sell you on one or the other, but check out the Anderson Hitch. 32 Lbs and fits over your bed gooseball.
Each to their own, but I think this is really a great all around hitch.

Jim_Hull

For what it is worth, I have the B&W in a 2016 Ford F-350. I love the fact that I can take it out of the truck and have a clean bed without having to mess with the picture frame. With the "puck" system, I just could not understand why I would want to have an extra component. Just my 2 cents.

RoadJunkie

When I bought my new truck, I could have bought a puc to rail adapter and used my Reese hitch. I opted instead to buy the B&W hitch with the puc mount. I could not be happier with all aspects of the B&W hitch and believe you would be too. Actually, I don't think I've ever talked to anyone who did not thoroughly trust and praise the B&W hitch.

GOTTOYS

B&W is all American made with all American made components and raw materials. Not imported or imported parts assembled in America. The fit and finish is second to none. Look at their website and do a little reading about the company. If you do then your decision will be easy...Don

SNOKING

So do you need a slider hitch? If not the B&W RVK3600 drops right in the pucks.I choose to go with the Demco 6099 picture frame and the B&W RVK3270 manual slider, and I am very happy with the decision. I lift it out with a HF electric hosit. The Reese/Ram picture frame can not be released with the hitch pinned to it. Chris

Piperflyer

B&W is all American made with all American made components and raw materials. Not imported or imported parts assembled in America. The fit and finish is second to none. Look at their website and do a little reading about the company. If you do then your decision will be easy...Don

I have to agree with Don, I installed one in my Chevy and love it and the best part it is made in America....

TomEgenes

Founding Montana Chapter Leaders-retired
Re: Reese Vs B&W

Snoking,
I got the ram OEM picture frame from dodge dealer with the reese 20k slider hitch yes you have to ubpin the hitch before you can take the frame out what a pain I like your set up thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Gary
The anderson sounds great as long as the pin box adapter is solid and can't unintentionally come loose......... I like lightweight and no grease!

- - - Updated - - -

Jim
My thoughts exactly I had the B&W in my old truck and got no trailer rash but I could not turn 90 degree Just had to be careful!!

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently bought the Reese 26K for Ford puck system - base made in China, top made in Mexico. B&W made in USA. Reese feels sloppier and less quality than B&W and Curt I previously owned. B&W 20K hitch also $600 less on eTrailer.com. Had 5ver hooked in, lock pin in handle started to pull and hitch disconnected dropping trailer onto side and tailgate of my truck. Have read same problem from other new Reese owners. Wish I had bought the B&W first, now have to spend more $$$$

avvidclif

When a man talks about and praises the hitch he has take it with a grain of salt. When he tells you not to buy the hitch he has listen closely and heed.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I had the B&W in my last truck. This one came with the pucks so I bought the Reese (before the B&W) drop-in was available and after trying to remove the factory rails. That turned out to be a very big deal that required removing the bed and a lot of heat as the factory uses a "lock-tight" when installed. IMO the B&W is a far better set up.

Dennyha

I have a 2014 RAM 3500 also with the puck system. I originally had the B&W companion with the puck system. It was a great hitch. My only complaint was that I could not lower it enough to get the fifth wheel level. I changed over to a Reese picture frame with a Reese slider hitch. My first slider was a rectangular slider, and it would not latch into position with weight on the hitch head. It turns out that the welds on the bottom of the rectangle would make contact with the picture frame, and prevent the hitch from locking into position. Very bad. After consulting with Reese, they got me into a round slider, and it works well. I like that with the slider, I can position the hitch back further and not worry about making contact with the truck. With the B&W, I never made contact, but seemed like it came pretty darn close.
In summary, knowing what I know now, I would recommend the B&W over the Reese slider, even though I went the other way. Just be careful on sharp corners.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a Reese slider . . .

It is the only 5th-wheel hitch I've ever owned . . . so I guess I can say that I like it so far!

NewReeseSliderHitch-P1000052.jpg

ProwlerPigtail-P1000462.jpg

I've never had to use the slider . . . yet!